D3 Cup

Gopherbashi

Anyone have predictions for the winner?  PLSQ will be sending CS Mont-Royal Outremont (who have one loss in 15 games), while L1O will be sending either Vaughan Azzurri or FC London (whichever wins the league final on Oct. 15th).

Two-game aggregate taking place Nov 5th & 12th.  I have to think the scheduling advantage goes to CSMRO - neither L1O team will have a match between Oct. 15th and Nov. 5th, with Vaughan not even having one next weekend (while FCL gets to roll over Sanjaxx).

Unfortunately I have only been to one L1O game this year and it didn't involve any of these teams. So I don't have a prediction, but I hope CSMRO can win this one. I don't want the L1O teams to have a monopoly on this championship.

Given the history of the Interprovincial Cup, I'm going to continue to side with L1O. The play in L1O is a little higher quality than PLSQ from what we've seen over the past 3 years, with this year being no exception. I would be pleasantly surprised to see CSMRO overtake the L1O side, but my money is on another Ontario victory over Quebec.

The results of this aggregate match will have some effects in next year's NSXI ELO ratings too. If PLSQ loses once again, the two league won't start at an equal score. Not a huge effect in the long run, but it will affect how teams show up in the rankings. A PLSQ victory would mean that I've underestimated the Quebec-league, and the two would remain on-par.

Any word on whether these matches will be streamed and/or televised?

19 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Given the history of the Interprovincial Cup, I'm going to continue to side with L1O. The play in L1O is a little higher quality than PLSQ from what we've seen over the past 3 years, with this year being no exception. I would be pleasantly surprised to see CSMRO overtake the L1O side, but my money is on another Ontario victory over Quebec.

The results of this aggregate match will have some effects in next year's NSXI ELO ratings too. If PLSQ loses once again, the two league won't start at an equal score. Not a huge effect in the long run, but it will affect how teams show up in the rankings. A PLSQ victory would mean that I've underestimated the Quebec-league, and the two would remain on-par.

I imagine the L1O home game will be streamed on their normal site; not sure about the PLSQ one.

I honestly wish we could have more L1O-PLSQ games to see how they match up.  Either having some kind of joint cup, or a L1O-PLSQ superleague with the top teams (imagine the pro/rel possibilities! :P )

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

I imagine the L1O home game will be streamed on their normal site; not sure about the PLSQ one.

I honestly wish we could have more L1O-PLSQ games to see how they match up.  Either having some kind of joint cup, or a L1O-PLSQ superleague with the top teams (imagine the pro/rel possibilities! :P )

I wish we would see a lot more matches between the two leagues, although my preference is for them to be the first round(s) of the Canadian Championship. L1O & PLSQ teams get whinnied down, NASL teams join, then MLS, then CanPL entering in the top-spot where it belongs. ;)

1 minute ago, Rintaran said:

I wish we would see a lot more matches between the two leagues, although my preference is for them to be the first round(s) of the Canadian Championship. L1O & PLSQ teams get whinnied down, NASL teams join, then MLS, then CanPL entering in the top-spot where it belongs. ;)

I think you mean NASL team.

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

I think you mean NASL team.

Given the lack of any announcements any which way, let's go with NASL team(s). Hell, we should throw in PDL teams in the first round with L1O & PLSQ. Give the high-end amateurs a chance to run with it too.

3 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Given the lack of any announcements any which way, let's go with NASL team(s). Hell, we should throw in PDL teams in the first round with L1O & PLSQ. Give the high-end amateurs a chance to run with it too.

Next thing I know, you're going to give the Challenge Trophy teams a spot too.

Including so many teams!?  What kind of crazy talk is this! :P 

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Next thing I know, you're going to give the Challenge Trophy teams a spot too.

Including so many teams!?  What kind of crazy talk is this! :P 

Maybe just the Challenge Trophy winner. :P

What can I say, I imagine it being a REAL tournament instead of a handful of matches. I'll happily be that kind of crazy. I believe we have scarves. ;)

11 hours ago, Rintaran said:

I had to do a google search on NSXI Elo Ratings but found http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/

From how you are talking it sounds like this is your website/blog? I hadn't heard of it before, but at first glance I really like the concept of these rankings! I totally agree with you on having L1O and PLSQ (and possibly/probably PDL) teams in the Voyageurs Cup as well. That would give you and us a lot more data to be able to compare leagues/teams/players better.

Edit: Now I noticed the same profile pic of you on the website under an ELO ranking article. I found the initial article with rankings you wrote which explained the math. I'm curious if there is any sort of mathematical way you are determining the strength of the various leagues going forward, or if you are just basically picking numbers that is your best guess. Like, would US Open Cup and Voyageurs Cup inter-league matches affect the league coefficients? Have there been any changes to the league coefficients since that original post in 2014 or would this potential splitting of L1O and PLSQ be the first such change?

L1O home game will almost certainly be streamed on their website again. I found a youtube upload -albeit after the fact- of the PLSQ game.

Personally I'm an advocate of letting the PLSQ & L1O league cup winners and/or the inter provincial cup winner (if different) into the Voyageurs. I would stay away from the PDL teams only because I have faith in what the CSA is trying to do with regional D3; admittance of PDL teams to the cup may deter participation in regional D3 leagues.

The challenge cup is an interesting idea, main issue would be finances and who foots that bill. Maybe one day... For now the CSA and L1O &PLSQ are moving in the right direction to make expansion of the Voyageurs tournament happen. Exciting stuff.

On 10/3/2016 at 6:44 AM, Kent said:

I had to do a google search on NSXI Elo Ratings but found http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/

From how you are talking it sounds like this is your website/blog? I hadn't heard of it before, but at first glance I really like the concept of these rankings! I totally agree with you on having L1O and PLSQ (and possibly/probably PDL) teams in the Voyageurs Cup as well. That would give you and us a lot more data to be able to compare leagues/teams/players better.

Edit: Now I noticed the same profile pic of you on the website under an ELO ranking article. I found the initial article with rankings you wrote which explained the math. I'm curious if there is any sort of mathematical way you are determining the strength of the various leagues going forward, or if you are just basically picking numbers that is your best guess. Like, would US Open Cup and Voyageurs Cup inter-league matches affect the league coefficients? Have there been any changes to the league coefficients since that original post in 2014 or would this potential splitting of L1O and PLSQ be the first such change?

The owner of the site, for whom I was doing all these writings, just handed it over to me. He doesn't have the time for it anymore, and I've got a lot more experience with a lot of stuff needed to expand and develop it, so I'm in the process of drafting up how things will change for 2017. (Writers & segment podcasters for all teams/leagues wanted BTW)

League starting points are, sadly, roughly best guess (though based on previous work from the Brotherly Love blog on SBI). Currently for L1O & PLSQ, they're something of a wild guess since they don't ever go up against PDL/USL/NASL/MLS teams (though the numbers relative to each other are aided by the Interprovincial Cup). The other numbers are generally based upon Open Cup & Voyageurs Cup matches. L1O & PLSQ have changed a few times (downward) since I started it up in 2014, I'm doing my first change of the other leagues in time for the 2017 season based upon the shift we saw via this year's Open Cup & Voyageurs Cup. There are going to be other changes to how the math is done since I find a 100-point home field advantage to be quite high, and since the SBI match didn't take the relative importance difference of home & away aggregate matches into account. You can expect an "ELO Changes" comparison post to come during the off-season to explain how everything will work 2017 forward. ELO ratings tend to work great within a single league, or within a well-developed system of leagues, so it's all a little rough and still needs fine tuning for North America, and Canada specifically.

The pro sides have always felt too close to the semi-pro sides in that for me.

For comparing MLS to NASL - since games are a little lobsided in V-Cup History - I wonder if you could somehow compare goals scored instead.  For example, since 2011 (inc IMFC as NASL for that year only), MLS teams have scored 27 goals against NASL while allowing 12.  Contrast that with the 10-2-2 record of MLS vs NASL.  At least it gives a few more data points.

11 6-1 3W1D
12 5-1 2W
13 5-2 2W
14 5-4 1W1L
15 3-2 1W1D
16 3-2 1W1L

I know that Rocket Robin normally has a good list of what TFCA players are crossing over between PDL & L1O - I don't know if this could help link the two somehow.

Just for Elo purposes, I haven't seen the rankings recently yet (sorry Rintaran :)) but I did always feel that TFC putting its U20 side into PDL and its U17 side into L1O for this year gave a pretty good indication of what the levels of the two leagues stack up compared to one another.

And I always thought that this reflected the general level of play between NCAA and CIS, in that NCAA players seem to make up a large % of PDL teams and that CIS players seem to make up a large % of L1O teams. I don't claim to know this topic very well, I'm just going with a quick cursory glance of what I've seen above and the few PDL/L1O matches I've seen in person.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2016 at 9:57 AM, ironcub14 said:

Just for Elo purposes, I haven't seen the rankings recently yet (sorry Rintaran :)) but I did always feel that TFC putting its U20 side into PDL and its U17 side into L1O for this year gave a pretty good indication of what the levels of the two leagues stack up compared to one another.

And I always thought that this reflected the general level of play between NCAA and CIS, in that NCAA players seem to make up a large % of PDL teams and that CIS players seem to make up a large % of L1O teams. I don't claim to know this topic very well, I'm just going with a quick cursory glance of what I've seen above and the few PDL/L1O matches I've seen in person.

If you look at the rosters, the overlap between the L1O and the PDL team is extensive. It is probably more accurate to call the L1O team a combined representation of the U20s and U17s, while the PDL team is a combined representative of the U20s and returning NCAA guys (http://www.torontofc.ca/academy/teams

I must say I was definitely impressed with CSMRO during the match. They kept bringing it to Vaughan (or Aughan as the ticker said for the first 25'+). I wish I could have heard an English commentary though. My French is so rusty I could only make out a handful of words throughout the whole match.

Still pulling for Vaughan Azzurri to take the D3 Cup this year, though I would love to see CSMRO prove me wrong!

25 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

I must say I was definitely impressed with CSMRO during the match. They kept bringing it to Vaughan (or Aughan as the ticker said for the first 25'+). I wish I could have heard an English commentary though. My French is so rusty I could only make out a handful of words throughout the whole match.

Still pulling for Vaughan Azzurri to take the D3 Cup this year, though I would love to see CSMRO prove me wrong!

Aughan?  More like Yaughan.  #L1Otrashtalk

19 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

My take on the second leg between Vaughan Azzurri and CS Mont Royal Outremont

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports16/16l1o074.htm

[Not that it ended up mattering but I was told before the game that away goals
would not disappear after regulation so if today's game had ended up 1-1 (only way
to force extra time) if both teams scored once in extra time, MRO would win because
they'd have scored more away goals]. Just slightly different than the MLS league.

Thanks - I was wondering about that!

Still working on getting the constant echoing drum noise out of my ears too.

Archived