Samuel Piette

7 minutes ago, shorty said:

shorty translate:

Biello on Piette: "He has had some excellent games.  I think it is one of the reasons for Canada's success.  He is someone we're looking at."

Plus you know they're guaranteed to sell 100-300 tickets a game for friends and family :)

Seriously though hope he makes it back.  He has looked great so far.

You can listen to the Braz press conference @ tvasport.

When asked about Piette, Braz repeats that he rathers not to talk about a player currently under contract with another team. He says that they've noticed his play at the Gold Cup but they arent currently negociating with his club.

Edited by Shakmur

I don't see why he doesn't just sign with MTL already! It seems like a no brainer. He's been bouncing around in lower divisions in Europe and now it's finally could establish himself in MLS. Osorio & Teibert have upper hand because they've played minutes over the last few seasons. 

5 hours ago, Shakmur said:

You can listen to the Braz press conference @ tvasport.

When asked about Piette, Braz repeats that he rathers not to talk about a player currently under contract with another team. He says that they've noticed his play at the Gold Cup but they arent currently negociating with his club.

I thought the 1x1 option was his, but maybe it was the club's. I truly expected him to look for a new team now, or after the GC. In any case, this is a very modest side, for a relatively small amount they'd let him go, methinks. Even 100 thousand euros.

MLS will say they dont pay transfer fees.  I could see them waiting until he was out of contract.

When you sign an MLS contract, youre basically signing for the balance of your career.  You lose control of your future transfers and bargaining power with their ridiculous club option contract years.  I would not choose MLS for any of our young players with any kind of upward trajectory.  The Impact would become his ceiling, and I think he can do better in the long term.  

What would he be offered?  Lefevre makes $94K, Teibert makes $120K, so he'd be locked into something like that for 2 years + club option for 2?  Thats the prime of his career right there.

Perhaps for a defensive mid, thats not a bad payday, would probably double what he's currently making, and im sure it would be nice to be back home after 7 years in Europe.  Easy for me to say, but Id stick it out in europe until i had no more options.  I think he's a solid second division level player in Spain or Germany, and could easily double or triple any possible MLS contract if he's lucky.

35 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

I don't see why he doesn't just sign with MTL already! It seems like a no brainer. He's been bouncing around in lower divisions in Europe and now it's finally could establish himself in MLS. Osorio & Teibert have upper hand because they've played minutes over the last few seasons. 

Well then you're stuck in a non-selling league that isn't highly rated. If you sign and aren't able to start it seems rather difficult for a player to get out. 

Sometimes I get the feeling these guys have rather rudimentary agents. I mean, with his exposure, and he is on Spanish tv all games, though at really late hours, but still, they can watch a game. Transfer window is open. Call a couple of frigging 2nd div clubs in Spain they all move 8-10 players out and in each year, no matter what, or they sign and loan. 

If you can't convince some of those sides this guy has something to offer, at that age, you are not a good rep, sorry to say. He's an easy signing, IMO.

I remember during the game last Tuesday that @Grizzly said that people won't talk shit about Piette after today. So perhaps, those "hypocrits" will stop. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Piette, but this year, he's been the real deal. You can talk down the Spanish 3rd division,

And about Piette to the Impact: If I'm the player I don't think Montreal is your #1 choice right now. Local players haven't been treated fairly aside from maybe a couple of players. If I'm Piette's agent, I would try to sell the fact that Montreal is interested to get to a German/Spanish second division club.

Edited by Blackdude

The raw ambition and aggression that Piette shows has been apparent from the day he started with the CMNT. Today however, he seems to time his moments to win the ball back much better than he used to.

Fantastic work rate and coupled with Arfield, probably the best one-two since Hutch and DeGuzman.

I'm not familiar with 3rd tier Spain football but I would assume he could play at a higher level. The Impact would be a logical place for him to end up - he could learn some more from a guy like Bernier as well.

Edited by hodgkiss

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

His Transfer value must be going up significantly! (Best Starting XI of the Tournament so far) Why aren't MLS Clubs preparing offers to him? The Impact is where he needs to land in 

And if he falls down the pecking order MLS's archaic rules force him to sit in limbo and rot during the prime of his career. 

Stay in Europe Sammy, refine your skills there. 

Ps: I think you answered your own question as to why MLS Clubs aren't preparing offers for him. His transfer value has gone up and MLS clubs don't like paying transfer fees for lesser known players. 

Edited by king1010