Samuel Piette

I mentioned that I hoped he could get signed by the impact but lots of people seemed to think he should stay in Europe. What do you guys think his ceiling is or what would be an appropriate level in which he would get playing time. 

Funny how plenty of Voyageurs, including on this thread, had a field day slagging him without watching him, and now they don't have the decency to at least admit they were wrong. At the same time they are calling him MOTM. 

Spanish lower tiers are a high level, there is a reason I say the Spanish 2nd is the best or at least equal to best 2nd tier in the world. And the third tier, which some on this very thread have insulted (80 teams, shitty stadiums, no fans) has a high competence level. 

I had to have this rant since you spend 11 months of the year being treated like an idiot, and having to watch a MNT player being downplayed, basically because some fans are too ignorant to care.

Edit: I watch Spanish 2B, in stadiums, lots of different teams, maybe 6-8 matches a year. Some are real dogs, most players are pure journeymen. It is very physical and defensively demanding. But everyone knows how to play the game.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I think he would be just fine in the Championship in England. Provided he can maintain the level of play he has shown us at this Gold Cup thus far.

Okay so Europe 2nd tier is in range, would be nice if this tournament gets him noticed

Definition of dishonesty: when reality proves you wrong, and when even you realize this, go hide in a hole somewhere and never admit you perhaps slightly erred. All  we are asking is that just one of these so-called Canada fans has the balls to admit they were speaking out of their asses (all quotes from Voyageurs on this thread in the last 10 months).

toontownman: A broken clock is right twice a day right?

Olympique_de_Marseille: ...decent but never stellar pretty much every game I've found. Very average.

Floortom: seems to have plenty of fans here and in the program for reasons totally beyond my comprehension.

yothat: he sucks ... haven't seen anything that inspires confidence consider on the national team camps n playing time

finchster. Piette is not a good player unfortunately 

Vince193: he's not a prospect anymore.

Moldy9: I think he's too slow and doesn't provide much.

1Knight: I don't see too much room for growth

Jahinho Guerroyawn....so many more players playing in 3rd, 4th divisions...I haven't seen anything technical about his game that shows hes playing in the a "better playing style" country.

BearcatSA

(Jahinho Guerro)

He probably won't be....but he'll probably play some 4th, or 5th division ball in some European country. 

Or feature on a CIS team, which seems to be a growing trend with former Canadian MLS Academy members, if he doesn't catch on in NASL or another NA league. 

BigMHe wasn't special in a mediocre team in a 80 team third tier

1996: Sorry but seriously come on this guy has never impressed me, never! 

SoccerproHe's just a spot filler for the CMNT because we have no quality

People see what they want to see. He was good not special in a d3 team which doesn't mean that he's a bad player as it's a strong league. He would need to be very special to move up to d2 as said and repeated previously and he said that he didn't have offers from d2

March 22: Piette was good, played quickly in a couple of touches

April 25:  Johnson, Arfield, Hoilett have a lot of quality and Piette and Aird have been coming up nicely so rather let them build chemistry.

June 16: Piette with another quality performance 

50 minutes ago, Big_M said:

People see what they want to see. He was good not special in a d3 team which doesn't mean that he's a bad player as it's a strong league. He would need to be very special to move up to d2 as said and repeated previously and he said that he didn't have offers from d2

March 22: Piette was good, played quickly in a couple of touches

April 25:  Johnson, Arfield, Hoilett have a lot of quality and Piette and Aird have been coming up nicely so rather let them build chemistry.

June 16: Piette with another quality performance 

June 1: He wasn't special in a mediocre team in a 80 team third tier

You forgot that one.

Apart from hiding part and modifying the rest of what you wrote, the fact is you are just BSing, as was pointed out at the time. Then, as now, you refused to admit this.

How many Piette games did you see for Izarra this year? If you did not see him play (and I doubt you did, even once, doubt you even saw highlights even once, of a single game) you are just making things up on the basis of absolutely nothing, no information at all. 

I have not made a single comment on Straith's quality on this board, ever, because I have never seen him play (for club). And I am not making up stories about watching some Scandinavian league to back up my opinion of him in a Canada uniform.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I was one of those that thought WTF was Piette doing playing for CMNT under the previous regime, but he has been like a reborn player under Zambrano. He is now playing in his proper position and has  staked the claim to the DM position on the team.

Edited by to70

Piette has made some mistakes, I am sure he will make more, but he has had a great first 2 games and it is awesome to see him improving!  Is kind of crazy reading those posts that people wanted to essentially roll him out to the pastures.  Criticizing a specific skill set or play is fine, but some of those posts, dayum lol.

He is a young 20 something year old Canadian, that took a chance and moved to Europe as a teenager in an attempt to improve his game, seems to be working, :)  good on him.

Don't worry about the haters bro, know that the mass majority of Canadians and 95%+ of Voyageurs will always support you and take joy in seeing you improve! Keep up the great work and keep playing with that passion and fire every time you rep the red & white.

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Definition of dishonesty: when reality proves you wrong, and when even you realize this, go hide in a hole somewhere and never admit you perhaps slightly erred. All  we are asking is that just one of these so-called Canada fans has the balls to admit they were speaking out of their asses (all quotes from Voyageurs on this thread in the last 10 months).

Olympique_de_Marseille: ...decent but never stellar pretty much every game I've found. Very average.

Floortom: seems to have plenty of fans here and in the program for reasons totally beyond my comprehension.

yothat: he sucks ... haven't seen anything that inspires confidence consider on the national team camps n playing time

Jahinho Guerroyawn....so many more players playing in 3rd, 4th divisions...I haven't seen anything technical about his game that shows hes playing in the a "better playing style" country.

BearcatSA

(Jahinho Guerro)

He probably won't be....but he'll probably play some 4th, or 5th division ball in some European country. 

Or feature on a CIS team, which seems to be a growing trend with former Canadian MLS Academy members, if he doesn't catch on in NASL or another NA league. 

Impressive research. I was curious what my own posting history was regarding Piette, and I seem to have flipped from being almost entirely negative to exclusively and increasingly positive around July 2015 (last Gold Cup).

You can post what you want, and of course everyone can change their mind. We also have favourites too.

There are two things that get me though.

One is gratuitous, facile slagging of guys committed to the national team and responding to the call. I'm not talking about analyzing weaknesses or skill limitations, just insulting remarks. They all deserve respect and in Canada, too frequently, we don't give it to them. We also forget guys too quickly, like Stamatapolous, Pacheco, Hume, Issey. That bothers me, since they guys really did come out for us, and with passion.

The other is that people are making comments with no basis to make them. Like not watching a player, and then judging him. IMO if you have not seen a movie, or a play, and I have, you can't sit there and tell me it is shit. You can tell me you don't like that genre and prefer not to go, or that you can't afford it, but you cannot expect me to have a conversation with you, so you can feel important having an opinion. Sometimes it is just bias, ignorance or being slanted (relative quality of Spanish lower tiers, in this case), or your basic hey "don't like his face". 

So respect, in general, for the CMNT players, and criticize their football if we may. And opinions based on something, like actually having watched a player or the team play.

So are you saying everyone who has an opinion on Piette has to find his games in Spain online??  Do all the people slagging Larin for his lack of production for canada have to watch all his Orlando games?  I hadn't watched much Arfield either before he came to CMNT, but it was easy to see his quality after only watching a game or two.  Most of the opinions on Piette have probably been garnered from watching some of his 30 some appearances for the CMNT and dozen or so with u-17, u-20, u-23 etc.  Everything doesnt revolve around some imagined slight against Spanish football or your dislike for "english fanboys".  And your distain for fellow V's is somewhat tiring.  Players have good and bad games for canada, Piette included. If he plays poorly next game are we going to see a post with a dozen old quotes about him from the last year and a gloating commentary from someone else??  Are we that childish?  

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

BearcatSA

(Jahinho Guerro)

Damn he got me good.

Lol...umm.

So I'll start by saying, these past two games Piette has had outstanding games. However this is the first time, in never time that we all are witnessing him at this level.....So my opinion of his previous 31 apps, 500+ minutes for Canada was accurate for that time (imo).

Let's hope we continue to see Piette show that quality, and potential to be that player the CSA program has believed in him to be, because at 22 he still has potential for a good career.  

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

On 23/09/2016 at 2:50 PM, shermanator said:

I would second this. I think Piette gets a lot of grief because he hasn't really been played in a position where he can utilize his strengths at DM. I think he is great at the destroyer role, but he's not at all suited in a more advanced MF role, which is how Floro often utilized him.

I also think he gets a lot of grief by just looking at the club level he is playing at, combining that with his poor performances when out of position (which seems to be most times he's used with the national team). Has anyone seen him play club football in Spain recently? I ask because I haven't, and I sincerely doubt many here have. This means people don't see the bulk of his time on the pitch.

Yes, it's disappointing that he never made the first teams with Dusseldorf and Coruna, but the door has not closed on him improving simply because will turn 22 in November. I agree that he needs to move to a better quality league after this year, but for now he needs to dominate Segunda 2B as an every game starter. I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table with the national team when used to his strengths.

B)