Samuel Piette

57 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

As a partial aside, is Chris Mannella going to be with TFC after this season?  Or will he moving out to another club or league?  

He probably won't be....but he'll probably play some 4th, or 5th division ball in some European country. Will be good for his CMNT chances.

4 minutes ago, Havoc88 said:

I seem to remember people saying he wasn't better than Bryce Alderson too

At the time...when they were both playing on the same CMNYT team? I would agree.

This statement only now comes into (valid) question because he's currently signed to Unattached FC.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:01 AM, Jahinho Guerro said:

He probably won't be....but he'll probably play some 4th, or 5th division ball in some European country. 

Or feature on a CIS team, which seems to be a growing trend with former Canadian MLS Academy members, if he doesn't catch on in NASL or another NA league. 

Edited by BearcatSA

On 2016-11-05 at 4:18 AM, shamrock said:

Of course he's a better def mid than the players mentioned. Coaches would agree cause he's played more than double the amount of pro games than any of those players. How is that "just talk"?

Funny thing is the players you mention aren't even defensive mids, only Eustaquio who can't seem to hold on to a starting spot in NASL, and Manella who has zero appearances in MLS over two seasons. 

Real talk

22 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

At the time...when they were both playing on the same CMNYT team? I would agree.

This statement only now comes into (valid) question because he's currently signed to Unattached FC.

If you talked to any of the coaches on that team, or coaches for CMNT, or within the CSA, at that time nobody there thought Alderson was better than Piette.

19 minutes ago, Havoc88 said:

If you talked to any of the coaches on that team, or coaches for CMNT, or within the CSA, at that time nobody there thought Alderson was better than Piette.

Source? Or are you just falsely stating . 

I know one coach personally, and he said the opposite as he coached both players at the U17 level. 

Technical ability not the bulldog approach to the game. 

19 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Source? Or are you just falsely stating . 

I know one coach personally, and he said the opposite as he coached both players at the U17 level. 

Technical ability not the bulldog approach to the game. 

I think Alderson was always the higher rated player as evidenced by his u17 player of the year awards but that Piette was closer to being a professional, he was built like a truck at 16.  

Sorry I'm not naming my 'source' on the Vs forum lol.

Take it as you will, although you've seem to have made up your mind regardless of some good counter posts.

Keegan's note of him being "closer to a professional" is in line with what was told to me second hand from someone who was connected with the senior team. Added, their take (not the source, what they had been told) on the U17 team was that Alderson looked good because Piette was always there to clean up his mistakes.

I will quickly throw out that IMO Piette gambled leaving Dusseldorf and might be further along had he stayed but he was close to playing for the senior team at 19 and must have thought he was ready, so he left. He probably thought he'd get into one sooner, Dortmund was too good to pass up and then he was left in the lurch. I think it's crazy people are talking about him as though he's the finished product at 21, and I think as long as he has stability this season and regular minutes he should be able to make a move upward in the next year or two.

Edited by Havoc88

He's played a high level .. cool

What has he done in Canada jersey ... nothing but backward passes  

Will he play prefessinally for a long time ... yes  

Is he a difference maker or a game changer like atiba .. no

has he been called to many men national team camps .. yes

• 6 months later...

New article on Samuel Piette in RDS today. Using Google translate, here's what I can gather. There is also an interview in French if anyone cares to listen:

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/soccer-le-milieu-de-terrain-quebecois-samuel-piette-est-pret-a-revenir-en-amerique-du-nord-1.4529609

- Had a one year contract with Izarra plus an option for a second year if he played 30 games, which he did.

- After a strong season at Izarra he has had some interest from higher divisions in Spain, and wants to play at a higher level, but it is in the hands of his agent.

- Seems to prefer to play in Spain but the door is open in regards to playing in North America. Talked with Adam Braz last January, was more of a touching base type of conversation. as opposed to a trial or anything else. Piette thinks he has a lot to offer the Impact.

- Describes his play as "I'm a pure defensive midfielder". Compares himself to Donadel or Arregui in terms of style (Having seen him at DM and further up the pitch, I would fully agree that is where his strengths lie.)

Edited by shermanator

No, the interest is from higher divisions in Spain. The quote, from Google Translate:

"I had a good season so some teams from higher divisions elsewhere in Spain approached me and my agent is studying this now. I would like to find something better than last year, but it is in the hands of my agent, "added Piette, who has accumulated 2,840 minutes of play in 2016-2017."

7 minutes ago, shermanator said:

No, the interest is from higher divisions in Spain. The quote, from Google Translate:

"I had a good season so some teams from higher divisions elsewhere in Spain approached me and my agent is studying this now. I would like to find something better than last year, but it is in the hands of my agent, "added Piette, who has accumulated 2,840 minutes of play in 2016-2017."

No it's not in Spain. Ailleurs qu'en Espagne means somewhere else not in Spain. And I trust my French more than your Google Translate.

Edited by Blackdude

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

No it's not in Spain. Ailleurs qu'en Espagne means somewhere else not in Spain. And I trust my French more than your Google Translate.

Sam is under contract until June 30 and probably won't announce much until then, or after the Canada camp.

Be that as it may, I know he has interest from stronger teams in the same tier in Spain, and just may have interest from a team up higher.

I say this as his coach at Izarra, Borja Jiménez, who was with Floro`s kid when doing his coaching license (and I think may have coached Aleman at Valladolid), has announced he is moving up, but has not said where. And I am think he would take Piette with him, he is really committed to Sam. Mind you, he could be going to a more powerful 2B team.

The other possible factor is seeing which teams that know him from the division promote to 2A. Cultural Leonesa, from León, just did, so that could be a destination. If Racing Santander go up, too. He could go to Osasuna, in Pamplona, where the 1st team just dropped to 2nd and the B team is in 2B. These are my pure guesses. In 2A the minimum in Spain is 65 thousand euros.

Izarra is financially weak and I think Sam is not even making 30 thousand euros a season. I think he has the condo paid, he shares with other players. So he could accept another year in 2B in a stronger team, but would have to make much more money. But even then, he would not even be at the MLS minimum. 

He wasn't special in a mediocre team in a 80 team third tier so very unlikely to move up in spain but he should stay there at least for another year to develop with good playing time

Edited by Big_M

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

He wasn't special in a mediocre team in a 80 team third tier so very unlikely to move up in spain but he should stay there at least for another year to develop with good playing time

Big M, one thing is to know his level, another is to talk out of your ass and say he was not special on his team. He most definitely was. Mind you, you watched him play at Izarra so I suppose you know. You also know the quality of Spanish lower tiers because you've seen it a lot. Here's my take:

-he played every minute he was not called for Canada. And got immediately back into the lineup after call-ups.

-he was one of the stalwarts and a reason they stayed up and did not relegate.

-the team has probably no right, budget or fan base to be in 2B. They played way over their heads, in a hard division. Their result was excellent. I've been in the stadium in Estella, it is a lovely small town that gets out around a thousand a game in a really ugly venue. What they did was near miraculous.

-rival press and coaches reguarly referred to him, as did fans. In the  match vs Burgos the visiting fans chanted "hay que fichar el numero 6", in a 1-0 match. Burgos used to be in top flight. Other sides in the division as well, like Racing Santander. 

In any case, just today you were getting all excited about our players in lower tier N American playing Open Cup, with a chance to show themselves. I suppose USL players even, which has nearly 80 teams. 

Sam does not get us too excited, being a step down from our last DM, de Guzman. But he's merited national team call-ups and if you think he is even one of the top 10 reasons for our failures they you really have no idea what you are watching when Canada is playing.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Big M, one thing is to know his level, another is to talk out of your ass and say he was not special on his team. He most definitely was. Mind you, you watched him play at Izarra so I suppose you know. You also know the quality of Spanish lower tiers because you've seen it a lot. Here's my take:

-he played every minute he was not called for Canada. And got immediately back into the lineup after call-ups.

-he was one of the stalwarts and a reason they stayed up and did not relegate.

-the team has probably no right, budget or fan base to be in 2B. They played way over their heads, in a hard division. Their result was excellent. I've been in the stadium in Estella, it is a lovely small town that gets out around a thousand a game in a really ugly venue. What they did was near miraculous.

-rival press and coaches reguarly referred to him, as did fans. In the  match vs Burgos the visiting fans chanted "hay que fichar el numero 6", in a 1-0 match. Burgos used to be in top flight. Other sides in the division as well, like Racing Santander. 

In any case, just today you were getting all excited about our players in lower tier N American playing Open Cup, with a chance to show themselves. I suppose USL players even, which has nearly 80 teams. 

Sam does not get us too excited, being a step down from our last DM, de Guzman. But he's merited national team call-ups and if you think he is even one of the top 10 reasons for our failures they you really have no idea what you are watching when Canada is playing.

Piette has been called up to the Nats far too often and when he had no business being there (having more caps than professional games is a bit much for me), but he's far from the reason for our failures. I like him in a limited role with us, going forward. He's a little terrier out there when he's on his game.

Happy to see your report on his last year. You think it's better for his development to stay at that level and get minutes or move to a better team and be pushed to earn minutes?

USL has 30 teams, btw. Far from 80.

12 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Piette has been called up to the Nats far too often and when he had no business being there (having more caps than professional games is a bit much for me), but he's far from the reason for our failures. I like him in a limited role with us, going forward. He's a little terrier out there when he's on his game.

Happy to see your report on his last year. You think it's better for his development to stay at that level and get minutes or move to a better team and be pushed to earn minutes?

USL has 30 teams, btw. Far from 80.

Right, was mixing USL with PDL my bad. 

The level is too low, I admit. Playing for a stronger team in 2B would be fine, there are about  a dozen clubs that would really work, clubs clearly looking to promote and with stronger budgets.

He would do much better playing in 2A, but of course, let's admit it: in function of level that would immediately put him amongst our top players, 2nd tier Spain is IMO the best or close to 2nd tier in the world. But even if you don't agree, he would automatically have to be rated as a Canada starter if playing in Spanish 2A.

What I don't like is someone who has no idea and hasn't seen any match, doesn't realize that lower tier Spain is quality, making up BS with no ground to stand on, what is the point of that? Just to diss a player, plain lie on the Voyageurs board and come up with garbage to help your point along. With fans like that we can't go far.

Sorry but seriously come on this guy has never impressed me, never! Never, not with any of the age group national teams like U17, U20 or Olympic team or even the Pan American team lol I'm pretty sure he was on the Pan American team, seriously I'm not sure from what I've seen of this guy over the years if he can even start on any of our Canadian USL teams or NASl team, but yet he is always there , always called up, meanwhile more deserving players have been left off over the years, Bernier, Osorio come to mind, I'm sorry but I just don't see this what people see in him I must just be blind I guess! I'm not dissing where he plays or questioning the level he has played at, it's just that whenever I've seen him play for any of our national teams be it youth or our senior national team he has not impressed me at all I'm sorry!

Edited by 1996

30 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Sorry but seriously come on this guy has never impressed me, never! Never, not with any of the age group national teams like U17, U20 or Olympic team or even the Pan American team lol I'm pretty sure he was on the Pan American team, seriously I'm not sure from what I've seen of this guy over the years if he can even start on any of our Canadian USL teams or NASl team, but yet he is always there , always called up, meanwhile more deserving players have been left off over the years, Bernier, Osorio come to mind, I'm sorry but I just don't see this what people see in him I must just be blind I guess! I'm not dissing where he plays or questioning the level he has played at, it's just that whenever I've seen him play for any of our national teams be it youth or our senior national team he has not impressed me at all I'm sorry!

Not sure if you can find these matches, but if you can, you should check out the U-20 qualifying games he played in. He was very good there. 

2 hours ago, 1996 said:

I agree he's never really impressed, but hes also not ever looked like shit either, which is more than I can say for plenty of guys, Straith, Akindele, Larin, Borjan, deJong, Henry, they've all shat beds at one point or another but Piette really hasn't.

I did expect more from him with the U23s, given all the senior experience he had, I thought he'd be a leader and boss the midfield, nope, didn't happen, he was just himself.  

Hes not a starter for me, but hes a handy destroyer when a certain game situation calls for that type of player, I think that's why he makes so many Canada squads.

10 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

I agree he's never really impressed, but hes also not ever looked like shit either

If I remember correctly, didn't he give away a penalty in one of his first games? For a weak ass 'strikers tackle' i.e. using his hands instead of his feet?

Can't remember the opponent, but it either cost us the game, or led to a tie. Might have been Slovenia.

1 hour ago, Wingback6 said:

If I remember correctly, didn't he give away a penalty in one of his first games? For a weak ass 'strikers tackle' i.e. using his hands instead of his feet?

Can't remember the opponent, but it either cost us the game, or led to a tie. Might have been Slovenia.

He gave away the penalty in a one-goal loss to Costa Rica around when he was first called up.