Samuel Piette

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

I suspect that he would have played if we were ever in the lead or even tied at the 60 minute mark. We were always behind so his skill set wasn’t needed. Plus the fact Herdman (mistakenly in my view) always played with a two man midfield that as many on here said previously is not his strength.  

that being said, considering the time he got in the last few friendlies, I was surprised at the end of the group stage when someone pointed out he hadn’t played. But then I thought, there wasn’t a point during the competition where I thought they should put on Piette

I completely understand your point and sure this what the coach would say. He is a defensive midfielder. If we ever had a lead and wanted to hold it you’d put him in. I just find Piette does have a little more to offer and probably was a lot fresher, with more fight in him than a tired not in form 38 yr old Hutchinson. Granted Piette didn’t play his best Vs Japan in the friendly but during the season he made some stellar long passes and he was in the best shape of his life going into the World Cup.

Lastly, Canada was already out of the tournament. Instead of putting Hutch who also is a defensive player, who had already two kicks at it v Belgium and Croatia, let another Veteran who’s given their time to the program the chance to prove himself. 

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Every time I see this thread bumped, I think it’s finally Sam to Europe time. 

I’d be pretty surprised to hear of Sam going back to Europe. He’s already got his experience in Spain and it afforded him the opportunity to come closer to home and play a big role. He’s been able to learn under an experienced top caliber CDM in Wanyama.

I can’t picture a top five league swooping him up, and with his level of comfort in Montreal I couldn’t see him moving for a second flight league or a top division like Greece or Turkey.

20 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I’d be pretty surprised to hear of Sam going back to Europe. He’s already got his experience in Spain and it afforded him the opportunity to come closer to home and play a big role. He’s been able to learn under an experienced top caliber CDM in Wanyama.

I can’t picture a top five league swooping him up, and with his level of comfort in Montreal I couldn’t see him moving for a second flight league or a top division like Greece or Turkey.

I was mostly joking. I would be shocked if Sam ever left CFM, unless he was on his last legs and Montreal didn’t offer him a contract, but another MLS team did or something. Mostly just joking about how Montreal is getting stripped for parts, so at this point Piette to Ligue 2 or something would just be the cherry on top for CFM.

33 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I was mostly joking. I would be shocked if Sam ever left CFM, unless he was on his last legs and Montreal didn’t offer him a contract, but another MLS team did or something. Mostly just joking about how Montreal is getting stripped for parts, so at this point Piette to Ligue 2 or something would just be the cherry on top for CFM.

At this point Piette is to Montreal what Osorio is to TFC. Keep the club legends home, I say. Pay them and play them.

42 minutes ago, nolando said:

At this point Piette is to Montreal what Osorio is to TFC. Keep the club legends home, I say. Pay them and play them.

If only they could be paid what they’re truly worth. Laughable that Insigne came in, played a lousy half season and earned Osorios career TFC earnings over that period. 

Likewise when you compare the Bradley and Altidore deals. It must eat him up that he can be the best player on the team, club “legend” and yet is paid a fraction of what foreigners make. 

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Agreed. Piette is a guy to me that will retire with Montreal, become a coach, etc. I can’t realistically imagine a scenario where another club offers him more, unless like, Montreal doesn’t want to pay him when he’s 36, but a team like Vancouver is willing to give him a decent contract for veteran leadership.

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 7:18 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It has been 8 weeks since his injury. He has been running with the physio but is still some ways from ready from what I understand.

This guy went years without an injury or missing a game.  Hundreds of crunching tackles, and he always came out on top.  He's had a rough run the past year.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Looks like Oso & Piette are out with injuries.

According to Elias Laradi of Nothern Tribune:

https://northerntribune.ca/2023-mls-dc-united-cf-montreal-preview/

"while Samuel Piette did some jogging and told me last Saturday he was still two weeks away from returning."

That would put Piette's return at ~ Saturday, June 10th , which is the last match before the international break. I can't imagine he would start that game and I still think he won't make the squad for the Nations League.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like he has recovered from injury but is not yet match fit enough for 90 minutes.

"and Samuel Piette will be on the bench to start on Saturday."

https://northerntribune.ca/2023-mls-cf-montreal-atlanta-united-preview/

Good news! :)

Because he has been out for weeks longer than the original prediction.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Will be good to have him back. He's not a 6 that takes us to the next level, but he can come in and sit and allow Kone and Eustaquio to play as dual 8s. Would have been very good for the current squad.

He could be an option for September or October (if we even play matches during those windows)

He hasn't played for the #CanMNT since November.

• 1 month later...

When you have dreams about players you need to take a step back from the fandom....

Had a dream last night I was hanging out with Sam Piette in Montreal. There was a CanMNT camp there (already unrealistic, right?) and we were just chillin talking about soccer....his pro experience...my amateur experience (as if he'd give a shit lol).... and then he mentions that he has training soon....so I was like shit man i'll give you a ride.

He was like cool...but just one second...then he then goes out to the balcony and takes a HUGE pull on this massive blunt! Couldn't believe it my eyes!....but it was just the one pull. Then right after the looks at me...squinting.... and says "ready to go".

Just as I go downstairs to grab my keys... my sister asks me for a ride (to soccer)....what a bum I thought...this is Sam Piette we are talking about....you'll have to wait I told her. However, by the time we finished arguing Piette had already left. I was so pissed I didn't get to help him out...and spend more time with him.

Weirdly though I went back to the balcony, which was now overlooking the field (dreams are weird) and I saw him rushing to put on his gear at the touchline...just as everyone else was jogging toward the opposite touchline and off the field...gathering in some kind of huddle.

Couldn't help but wonder how tight a ship Herdman runs and if Piette was gonna be in shit for being late. Didn't even cross my mind (in my dream) whether John would be pissed that he was high lol

Man, I’ve been an MNT follower since 1984 and I’ve never had a dream about hanging out with one of the players. Noooo, I have to dream about my dead Russian stepmother-in-law having a 2-year old temper tantrum and complaining that I’m not serving the scavenger hunt French fries fast enough and that I’m giving her too little.

Wanna trade, Obinna? Nah, don’t blame you.