Samuel Piette

1 hour ago, HochelagaFC said:

It would be a great move for him  given his lack of playing time under Nancy, the only thing that is making me doubt that it would happen is that he recently had a baby so I don’t know if he would want to uproot his life right now. 

Piette to Turkish Super Lig actually would be a great move. I mean Larin and Atiba are already there so. 

• 5 weeks later...

Avec le match d'aujourd'hui Samuel Piette rejoint Patrice Bernier avec 56 sélections pour la #CanMNT.

Combien de Québécois ont plus de sélections?  Bunbury ?  Y en a-t-il d'autres ?

Encore un gros merci à @Alex pour cette liste:

https://issuu.com/canadasoccer/docs/20191231_canada_records_results/2?ff

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

People like to say he's limited because he doesn't have fancy footwork or good offensive instincts, but he's pretty damn effective. The ball winning ability is a skill that goes under appreciated. 

I am sure happy he's in our squad.

Already on 56 caps at the age of 26. He's going to break the caps record for Canada eventually.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

People like to say he's limited because he doesn't have fancy footwork or good offensive instincts, but he's pretty damn effective. The ball winning ability is a skill that goes under appreciated. 

I am sure happy he's in our squad.

Already on 56 caps at the age of 26. He's going to break the caps record for Canada eventually.

I thought the match really changed yesterday after Piette , Fraser and Miller won some hard challenges and transitioned the play quickly, these types of plays started putting the yanks on the back foot and maybe had them a little less fearless going forward!

Edited by gator

12 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I feel like we really miss Piette when we start a central midfield core of Osorio-Kaye-Eustaquio. I'd like to see Piette start more frequently in a deeper role, and allowing Eustaquio and Kaye to have a little more freedom going forward.

I agree. We lose a some bite without Piette.

Like Piette, Eustaquio is good at breaking things up as well, and maybe we are more solid with both of them.

I think Osorio plays well with Eustaquio and we seem more ball secure with both of them in the side, however Kaye is better at playing the final ball than Osorio is, but he does turn over the ball more too, I find. 

Eustaquio has to be in there, but besides that it's hard to say what the best combination is. It probably depends on the opponent. If we are playing Jamaica I think I want Eustaquio-Piette-Kaye, but if it's Costa Rica perhaps Eustaquio-Osorio-Kaye?

Then if we face Mexico in the semi-final, maybe Eustaquio-Piette-Osorio is the best combination...

With 3 at the back and wingbacks who tend to the offensive more than the defensive (at least from what I have seen) I am starting to think that two fairly defensive centre mids (Piette and Eustaquio) are the way to go.  With a full lineup, we have plenty of attacking firepower - and with guys like Tajon really coming into force I don’t think that trend changes soon.   Given our defence, while not weak, is still relatively… less strong, I think the protection provided by Piette and Eustaquio in the middle just makes us more solid at the back.  

To support the attack that still leaves the two guys up front and three predominantly attack minded players in the midfield (the CAM and the wingbacks), which seems like plenty given the strength we have there.  Obviously this setup would be really dialed in with a truly elite CAM, but even if we are looking at someone like Oso or Kaye, I still think the need for defensive solidity outweighs the need for an extra attacker in the middle against most formidable opponents (pretty much all of them in the Ocho).    

52 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree. We lose a some bite without Piette.

Like Piette, Eustaquio is good at breaking things up as well, and maybe we are more solid with both of them.

I think Osorio plays well with Eustaquio and we seem more ball secure with both of them in the side, however Kaye is better at playing the final ball than Osorio is, but he does turn over the ball more too, I find. 

Eustaquio has to be in there, but besides that it's hard to say what the best combination is. It probably depends on the opponent. If we are playing Jamaica I think I want Eustaquio-Piette-Kaye, but if it's Costa Rica perhaps Eustaquio-Osorio-Kaye?

Then if we face Mexico in the semi-final, maybe Eustaquio-Piette-Osorio is the best combination...

Mentioned it earliest but to me Osorio and Kaye at the same time is unnecessary. I get Osorio will move a bit further up the pitch than Kaye will but nonetheless I find it’s like 1 + 1 = 1.5 with them out there.

I would put Piette on the right and one of Kaye / Osorio on the left, with Eustaquio in the middle. 

When we have the full roster someone like Atiba replaces Piete on the right. And maybe, Arfield actually shows up and we have that option as well.

Piette wins possession so often and rarely gives up possession. I’m a big fan and I think he’s our best pure defensive mid. I had to laugh when he tried that “shot” from 25 or so yards out yesterday lol… would have been one hell of a first goal for the CMNT. One thing that I didn’t care for tactically yesterday was the amount of times Piette was in the box for set pieces, I feel like he’s more useful outside the box to stop counters.

52 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

Piette wins possession so often and rarely gives up possession. I’m a big fan and I think he’s our best pure defensive mid. I had to laugh when he tried that “shot” from 25 or so yards out yesterday lol… would have been one hell of a first goal for the CMNT. One thing that I didn’t care for tactically yesterday was the amount of times Piette was in the box for set pieces, I feel like he’s more useful outside the box to stop counters.

No one seems to remember this one:

Did he have 2 long range bombs in youth games? I remember one, but my memory has it different from the video evidence above. I'm probably wrong, but I thought he scored one in Olympic qualifying, and I thought it was attacking the net on the left side of the camera, rather than the right.

But yeah, every time I hear them say he hasn't scored in 50+ games for Canada, I think of a long range goal he scored in the youth ranks and am surprised all over again that he hasn't scored for the senior team.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

I was thinking the goal I remembered was 2012 Olympic Qualifying, but I just looked it up and he didn't score at all in that tournament. My memory is just garbage, as expected.

Sam did score a screamer for our youth team off a free kick from the right side. The ball was teed off for him by a right back that was playing for a lower English team, could have been Crawley Town?

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I think he could be moved soon, with Zouhir, Kone, Saliba, Maciel, Hamdi etc all cheaper and very promising/knocking on the door I’m not sure how much room is left for him. 

That would be unfortunate, local favorite, uber positive attitude and leader.  But ya, he's just too similar to Wanyama and having them both on the field isn't very advantageous.  He's still the only one that can slot in to replace Wanyama when he has to miss a match. 

• 6 months later...

Good player Piette if he had a bit of speed he would be world class.

Kaye Him Hutch Eustaquio even Osorio Fraser you have depth there.  You need a 10.  I read Harry Patón is playing there and has been in tremendous form of lately.  

• 1 month later...