Samuel Piette

22 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Piette may be a more versatile player as a result of getting shifted all over the pitch but in my opinion his national team contributions, which were already going to be limited with the midfield we now have, will be further reduced.  Don’t get me wrong I think he will be in the squad but his playing time will be significantly cut and the days of him being automatically pencilled in as the DM are over.  And he is not of the same skill set or ability as Oso, Kaye, Arfield,... so we may have seen the best of Sam.😜

I think he will be part of many starting lineups for CMNT going forward. Even without COVID and this crazy tournament schedule coming up we will rarely have our best starting 11 after injuries and club commitments. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressed with the improvement in his attacking game and as always, his overall effort.  It must be so tough being a “regular” MLS player who gives it their all, and have to deal with spoiled DP twats like Wanyama who make 25 times your salary, jog around the pitch like a Sunday beer-league match, contributing nothing but bad passes.

12 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Very impressed with the improvement in his attacking game and as always, his overall effort.  It must be so tough being a “regular” MLS player who gives it their all, and have to deal with spoiled DP twats like Wanyama who make 25 times your salary, jog around the pitch like a Sunday beer-league match, contributing nothing but bad passes.

I have to admit - I was initially thinking how out to place Piette looked in a predominantly offensive role but he definitely seems to be figuring things out.  

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Played well today. Certainly looks more comfortable in a DM position than whatever Henry was trying to do. Makes every 23 man Canada roster for me.

He was MOTM but no one here is really gushing over his performance since he's a seasoned vet and we pretty much expect a routine outing like this from him. 

Edited by Macksam

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Is he injured? Has played almost every minute 3 straight seasons and now hasn't left the bench in 2 straight games. Maybe he doesn't fit into Nancy's 11?

Nancy aborted Henry's plan to convert him into a #8. He's a #6 and will always be a #6.  He's Wanyama's backup now.  No room for both of them on the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, costarg said:

Nancy aborted Henry's plan to convert him into a #8. He's a #6 and will always be a #6.  He's Wanyama's backup now.  No room for both of them on the pitch. 

Hmmm... seemed very effective playing alongside Wanyama in their only win of the season vs. TFC 

I've seen this today : https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/394373/samuel-piette-nest-pas-sur-le-banc-uniquement-a-cause-de-sa-blessure

Here is the translated quote from coach Nancy when asked about Piette remaining on the benching last game : "Yes, he still has this knock to the foot, but when I dress a player, it means he's fit enough to play. If he didn't play, it's not only because of his injury, but because I wanted to see something different"

On 5/8/2021 at 9:07 PM, TOcanadafan said:

Hmmm... seemed very effective playing alongside Wanyama in their only win of the season vs. TFC 

However there was also a very noticeable gap between Piette/Wanyama & Mihailovic.  Same as last year.  They need to fix that, Nancy has been trying to fill that gap with someone more apt to playing the 8 role.  Piette is not that person.

• 3 weeks later...

Not starting again today.. seemingly the massive salary they have on Wanyama is getting in the way of Sams playing time, I know general consensus from people around the club is that Sam has been match fit for a couple weeks... in all honesty Wanyama doesn’t bring more to the table then Piette. He also makes like 10x more

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

14 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Not starting again today.. seemingly the massive salary they have on Wanyama is getting in the way of Sams playing time, I know general consensus from people around the club is that Sam has been match fit for a couple weeks... in all honesty Wanyama doesn’t bring more to the table then Piette. He also makes like 10x more

yes it's crazy to pay a #6 DP money in MLS. Wanyama is a superior player to Sam, but they could have spent that money on an attacking player. In any case, the title of this thread should be changed as I think we have seen the best of Sam Piette

On 10/19/2020 at 10:34 AM, Ruffian said:

I think he will be part of many starting lineups for CMNT going forward. Even without COVID and this crazy tournament schedule coming up we will rarely have our best starting 11 after injuries and club commitments. 

We need Piette in these upcoming matches against Aruba and Suriname.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

yes it's crazy to pay a #6 DP money in MLS. Wanyama is a superior player to Sam, but they could have spent that money on an attacking player. In any case, the title of this thread should be changed as I think we have seen the best of Sam Piette

I don't see why they can't accommodate both players. I think their best line up would include both.

5 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Disagree.  He's even better this year than the last.  Matured and developed, he's added a dimension to his game.  Nancy seems to be getting the best out of him, and he's not even starting, I think there is still some more to come.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Disagree.  He's even better this year than the last.  Matured and developed, he's added a dimension to his game.  Nancy seems to be getting the best out of him, and he's not even starting, I think there is still some more to come.

what dimension to his game has he added? I know he had to adapt to playing as a wide mid last year but that was a difficult task given his lack of speed and ability on the ball. Always felt that Sam is best playing in front and supporting the back 4. In a double pivot his game is somewhat similar to Wanyama and I assume that is why Henri didn't deploy that set up?

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

what dimension to his game has he added? I know he had to adapt to playing as a wide mid last year but that was a difficult task given his lack of speed and ability on the ball. Always felt that Sam is best playing in front and supporting the back 4. In a double pivot his game is somewhat similar to Wanyama and I assume that is why Henri didn't deploy that set up?

Going all the way back to his time in Spain, he was always a reliable pitbull.  He'd fight for and win a lot of balls, as well as picking up the loose ones.  Not many are willing to go into a 50/50 challenge with him after one or two run ins.  The guy is solid and hits like a train.  Thing is, once he got the ball, his instinct was to always drop the ball back or at most laterally.  He'd never move the ball forward.  Never.  Henry tried playing him on the right and higher up, he wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either, far from a natural.  Like you said, he's not quick and just not an attacking player.  He's most comfortable and familiar playing in the back, however he did learn to try for the forward passes more often, that's what he's doing much better this year. 

Wanyama is also more comfortable just in front of the CB's, however he's more than capable of playing further up when needed.  So when they're both on the pitch they're both forced to play the 6 1/2 role and covering for the other when he ventures.  It's not the ideal situation or formation, seems to leave a gap between them and the 10 (Mihailovic), however it seems to be what's working best.  They're using the wingbacks to move the ball forward as opposed to the middle.  But teams will just figure that out quickly, so they'll have to adapt somehow.

11 hours ago, costarg said:

Going all the way back to his time in Spain, he was always a reliable pitbull.  He'd fight for and win a lot of balls, as well as picking up the loose ones.  Not many are willing to go into a 50/50 challenge with him after one or two run ins.  The guy is solid and hits like a train.  Thing is, once he got the ball, his instinct was to always drop the ball back or at most laterally.  He'd never move the ball forward.  Never.  Henry tried playing him on the right and higher up, he wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either, far from a natural.  Like you said, he's not quick and just not an attacking player.  He's most comfortable and familiar playing in the back, however he did learn to try for the forward passes more often, that's what he's doing much better this year. 

Wanyama is also more comfortable just in front of the CB's, however he's more than capable of playing further up when needed.  So when they're both on the pitch they're both forced to play the 6 1/2 role and covering for the other when he ventures.  It's not the ideal situation or formation, seems to leave a gap between them and the 10 (Mihailovic), however it seems to be what's working best.  They're using the wingbacks to move the ball forward as opposed to the middle.  But teams will just figure that out quickly, so they'll have to adapt somehow.

When Piette returned from Spain he was  more comfortable on the ball and his passing had improved... performance in the 2017 GC.. selected to the tournament group 11. Strong first year in MLS and  a few more after. For sure he has a role to play with the CMNT but the quality of MLS and CMNT has  significantly improved since 2017.

• 3 weeks later...