Samuel Piette

2 hours ago, MtlMario said:

How does this prove that Tabla will not be a good player for us.in the future

Ha, seems what I was saying was missed by yourself and @kohanz. It was a commentary on how this board has the tendency to overhype players and then when they don't pan out as planned face the firing squad. Piette is a perfect example of this, all while there is a thread about Talba discussing wether he could walk into the CMNT. I'm not sure how long either of you have been here but the same thing happens constantly, ei. Jamie Peters at Ipswich, Straith at Cottbus, hell, even Boakai at Edmonton, all in the doldrums of Europe or finished too soon. The quip about Talba was sarcasm although I really do hope he becomes a star, but I am not holding my breath

If you want to me to elaborate on why I think Piette sucks. From the Canada games I have watched, he never seems to pass the ball forward when in a holding midfield role. Doesn't provide anything offensively. Not sure what he provides defensively either. Not super athletic. He gets alot of playing time for the national team and is mediocre.  Seems to pass back alot or to the CB, or diagonally. I haven't seen any of the dribbling/possesion of Atiba/Julian. I don't see him being the heir to Atiba as canada best player. For example I don't want this next sentence to distract from the conversation I have more hope in Hanson Boakai even if he plays at a lower level in europe bc we have seem moments of skill/passing/vision when he played for canada at u-17 or u-20 level. Passing, dribbling, 1v1. Just watched the Samuel Piette 15/16 highlight ... there's not very much makes me think he will be great box to box or holding midfielder. He really needs to improve. Agree, he is good positionally and a good comparison is collen warner type player n not atiba..   

3 hours ago, yothat said:

If you want to me to elaborate on why I think Piette sucks. From the Canada games I have watched, he never seems to pass the ball forward when in a holding midfield role. Doesn't provide anything offensively. Not sure what he provides defensively either. Not super athletic. He gets alot of playing time for the national team and is mediocre.  Seems to pass back alot or to the CB, or diagonally. I haven't seen any of the dribbling/possesion of Atiba/Julian. I don't see him being the heir to Atiba as canada best player. For example I don't want this next sentence to distract from the conversation I have more hope in Hanson Boakai even if he plays at a lower level in europe bc we have seem moments of skill/passing/vision when he played for canada at u-17 or u-20 level. Passing, dribbling, 1v1. Just watched the Samuel Piette 15/16 highlight ... there's not very much makes me think he will be great box to box or holding midfielder. He really needs to improve. Agree, he is good positionally and a good comparison is collen warner type player n not atiba..   

Won't be as harsh, but don't really rate him either. At this point in his career he seems to be a sideways passer who doesn't posses the adequate technical ability to influence the game at the international level. I would be interested to see his stats on interceptions/tackles for the nats because every time I watch him it seems like he's slow and the game passes him by which is why he's sort of liability considering the position he plays. Honest question as well - has he reached his ceiling? I don't see too much room for growth 

I do not see the promise in him I use to but I still think he will be part of the National set-up for a while since we do not have a lot of quality at the defensive midfield position. After Atiba does not play all we have is Piette, Teibert and maybe Nik Ledgerwood for a few more years. I do not like playing a CB at that position like Straith. I think he is better as a CB. With regards to his club career I think he still will have many chances to prove himself at a better level. I would not be surprised if he appeared in the MLS and did well. I could also see him jumping around smaller European national leagues and carving out a good career

I think Piette would excel in the right system that allows him to focus on the d mid position which he never was put in under floro very much. Him coming on a goal down makes no sense. Not his strength. He's nicknamed bulldog for a reason! If he's able to focus on the aggressive defensive disruptive aspect of the midfield he would be an asset. He's got a better soccer iq then people on here are giving him credit I believe.  He can make the smart pass to get things moving forward but not likely going to drop a 30 yard bullet through ball to release a winger. But hey it's just my opinion! You probably don't want to hear my opinion on haber either! 

• 1 month later...

Article (my translation into English) on Sam in the Diario de Navarro, the paper from the region where Izarra is. Came out last Friday, link here:

http://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/2016/10/28/deportes/futbol/de-la-seleccion-de-canada-a-pitbull-del-izarra

De la selección de Canadá, a ‘Pitbull’ del Izarra

TRAS SU PASO POR EL METZ (FRANCIA) Y EL FORTUNA DUSSELDORF | (ALEMANIA), SAMUEL PIETTE QUIERE SEGUIR CRECIENDO

UN REPORTAJE DE M.J. ARMENDÁRIZ FOTOGRAFÍA RUBÉN USÚA - Viernes, 28 de Octubre de 2016 - Actualizado a las 06:12h

He left home at the age of 14 to follow a dream: be a footballer. Now at 21, Samuel Piette plays for the senior men's national team of Canada and has an eye on teams from higher divisions without worrying about where they are from: Bundesliga, the Premiership. He left Canada, where football is still light years away from hockey, and sought a place in Europe, playing two years in France, two in Germany (where he debuted in 2nd division) and is now on his third season in Spain. This year he has signed for Izarra with the idea of continuing to grow as a player. His physical strength makes him a tough kind of player, so that on the Canadian national team they gave him the name Pitbull or Bulldog for his qualitites.

Sam lives in Ayegui, a quiet place, which helps him keep his mind on football [trans note: about a 2 km from Estella where Izarra is based]. He speaks French, English, German and Spanish perfectly, and shares an apartment with a teammate, Deivid, and one of the trainers. He's happy as well with how the team's going: "When I came here, I knew the goal was to not relegate. No one thought that after ten matches we'd be in the top four. We had a tough calendar at the start we got through well and now we have to go game by game. The "mister" insists that the goal is to get to 45 points, which will ensure we stay up, but we are going to try to get points every week and we'll see in the end if it's 45 or 56. But for sure, if we get to 45 before the league ends we are not going to let our guard down," he insists.

Piette has ajusted well to the quiet life in Ayegui. "Both my teammates and the club management have treated me really well". But the question remains: what is a Canadian international doing in Izarra. "It's my third year in Spain. Two years ago I went into Deportivo B, and after playing there in Third division [4th tier] they loaned my to Racing de Ferrol to play in 2nd B. In January they brought me back to help them promote up to 2B. But this year I wanted to make the step up to 2B anyways. My agent knew the coach and that is why I ended up at Izarra. I liked the project, even though the goal was to stay in the division I thought it would be a good way to get more minutes. I put more value on being able to play than to find a really ambitious team."

The defensive midfielder is enjoying a lot of minutes at Izarra, so that for now he is meeting his objectives. "After getting to know football in France and Germany, I wanted to come to Spain, since here the play is based more on ball possession and I could make a difference with my physical qualities, with my fight and strength. I am a defensive mid, I'm a six." 

A footballer in Canada. Sam was born on November 12, 1994 in Repentigny, Montreal. There where ice hockey is king he stood out in a minority sport like football. Only three Canadian teams play in the first division, which is shared with the United States. "Even though in 2018 they are going to create their own league in Canada and things will get better, there are still a lot of things that need improving. I preferred to go to Europe, like a few of my teammates with Canada. The best player on the team plays for Besiktas and others play in France and England, in second division. I first played for the senior internationals at the age of 17, the third youngest to ever do so. I am very excited about it, but to really stand out with a national side, I have to go about doing my thing day after day and trying to play at the highest level possible for my abilities. I work at it every day."

When he was 14 he went to Metz in France, and after two years ended up in Germany, at Fortuna Dusseldorf. The first year he played with the u-19s and the second in the B team, though he did get a chance to play in Second Division. After that, he sought out a spot in Spain and found it with the second team of Deportivo. After two years he has made it to Izarra. "Every place I have played I have learnt and I adapt well to different circumstances. I've learned German and Spanish and try to live a peaceful life, focused on playing football."

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

yawn....so many more players playing in 3rd, 4th divisions...I haven't seen anything technical about his game that shows hes playing in the a "better playing style" country.

A free wine fountain in your neighbourhood is always, no matter what, going to be a "better playing style" country. 

But maybe that is what you really wanted to say before editing your post, JG?

If you read the article you could have learned that he plays a style which isn't suited to his strong points. And he presents that as a deliberate choice. All that seems to indicate he's got the right mentality to be a pro soccer player. 

This also applies to other quotes, like he wanted a team with high playing chances, or saying he just works hard to push the level of his playing abilities. I honestly think this kid has a lot of upsides. 

Edited by shamrock

25 minutes ago, shamrock said:

If you read the article you could have learned that he plays a style which isn't suited to his strong points. And he presents that as a deliberate choice. All that seems to indicate he's got the right mentality to be a pro soccer player. 

This also applies to other quotes, like he wanted a team with high playing chances, or saying he just works hard to push the level of his playing abilities. I honestly think this kid has a lot of upsides. 

Actually I thought that was a contradiction, but maybe you are right. He says they play more ball possession and then it suits him being physical and aggressive, which is odd..if you have the ball you don't need to win it you need to keep it. But maybe he meant that the other team wants the ball too so you need players like him to get it back. I was not sure, but you are suggesting he is talking about stretching himself. 

I think the Piette story is a bit similar to the Bekker story, in that what we are waiting for is for him to stretch himself a bit more, be more of a key player in more of the field, instead of just sitting back into a role. Which would be the difference between being a minor player comfortable in the lower divisions and something more.

35 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually I thought that was a contradiction, but maybe you are right. He says they play more ball possession and then it suits him being physical and aggressive, which is odd..if you have the ball you don't need to win it you need to keep it. But maybe he meant that the other team wants the ball too so you need players like him to get it back. I was not sure, but you are suggesting he is talking about stretching himself. 

I think the Piette story is a bit similar to the Bekker story, in that what we are waiting for is for him to stretch himself a bit more, be more of a key player in more of the field, instead of just sitting back into a role. Which would be the difference between being a minor player comfortable in the lower divisions and something more.

He's no different or better than Chris Manella, Kianz Froese, Mauro Eustáquio, Jay Chapman and the list continues...He's just another player who got a better opportunity then others, and has continued to get them with the CMNT regardless of performance (i.e. The Bekker Story) 

No he's not the same cause he's been living abroad since he was 16. He's forced that "better opportunity" himself by taking the risk and going to Europe. Talking about leaving your comfort zone.

And how I read it, he plays in Spain cause A. he stands out with a different style (which you still need, even Barca has a few) and B. it forces him to elevate his technical and tactical abilities. 

Edited by shamrock

That's great that he left home early and everything, but he has 20+ CMNT caps . . . And I've yet to see warrant over the players who play at home, and who are on par with him skill wise . . The stuff about "forces him to elevate his technical blah blah" is just talk . Cause we haven't seen any of it . 

6 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

That's great that he left home early and everything, but he has 20+ CMNT caps . . . And I've yet to see warrant over the players who play at home, and who are on par with him skill wise . . The stuff about "forces him to elevate his technical blah blah" is just talk . Cause we haven't seen any of it . 

My issue with Piette atm is the fact the dude has like 10x the appearances for Canada than he does at either 1st or 2nd division club soccer. I don't care that Canada coaches love him, higher division club coaches don't seem to. 

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

My issue with Piette atm is the fact the dude has like 10x the appearances for Canada than he does at either 1st or 2nd division club soccer. I don't care that Canada coaches love him, higher division club coaches don't seem to. 

All you are saying is that interest from Canada was premature. Interest from higher level clubs is not, in contrast, lacking, because his age give him time to sort that out.

In any case, being at Deportivo B two years does suggest that some higher division club coach thought he was worth developing for the immediate future. 

3 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

100% agree. PREACHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! 

He's not any better than Chris Mannella, Mauro Eustaquo, Jay Chapman, Kianz Frose etcccccc

10 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Of course he's a better def mid than the players mentioned. Coaches would agree cause he's played more than double the amount of pro games than any of those players. How is that "just talk"?

Funny thing is the players you mention aren't even defensive mids, only Eustaquio who can't seem to hold on to a starting spot in NASL, and Manella who has zero appearances in MLS over two seasons. 

On 11/4/2016 at 5:49 PM, yothat said:

He's not any better than Chris Mannella, Mauro Eustaquo, Jay Chapman, Kianz Frose etcccccc

As a partial aside, is Chris Mannella going to be with TFC after this season?  Or will he moving out to another club or league?  

35 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

As a partial aside, is Chris Mannella going to be with TFC after this season?  Or will he moving out to another club or league?  

I have a tough time believing he will. Didn't he lose his DM spot to Liam Fraser by the end of this year, or was there an injury there?

On Friday, November 04, 2016 at 8:49 PM, yothat said:

I seem to remember people saying he wasn't better than Bryce Alderson too