Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Olympique_de_Marseille

Samuel Piette (we haven't seen the best of him yet!)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I was actually surprised by his explosiveness at times last night.  He made a few poor decisions in the second half but he also made some amazing plays - in particular his last ditch saving tackle late on when he was the last man back.

That sprint back to catch and dispossess the attacker to preserve the tie made up for any lost possession.  That was near the end of the game when everyone was completely gassed, and Piette isn't the speediest anyway - and yet he went into sprinter mode to pull alongside the guy and stop him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was horrendous. All of his worst attributes was displayed in full force.

Controversial, but like I've said in the past, it's these reasons why I don't rate him too highly and he shouldn't be a regular starter for Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

He was horrendous. All of his worst attributes was displayed in full force.

Controversial, but like I've said in the past, it's these reasons why I don't rate him too highly and he shouldn't be a regular starter for Canada.

Giving out a 'horrendous' for such an obviously mixed performance is a bit like being a teacher and routinely failing 3/4 of the class.  As others have mentioned, he was solid at some points and gave the ball away cheaply under pressure at others, and threw in a few of his signature brilliant tackles.  He looked, along with most of the team, to be in preseason form.  

I agree though that with our depth in the central midfield he can't be considered a surefire starter.  He was immense, probably MOTM, in that game in Toronto vs the US, but for many other games either Kaye or Eustaquio might be a better fit at DM (although whether Stephen will regain his pre-injury form remains to be seen).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Giving out a 'horrendous' for such an obviously mixed performance is a bit like being a teacher and routinely failing 3/4 of the class.  As others have mentioned, he was solid at some points and gave the ball away cheaply under pressure at others, and threw in a few of his signature brilliant tackles.  He looked, along with most of the team, to be in preseason form.  

I agree though that with our depth in the central midfield he can't be considered a surefire starter.  He was immense, probably MOTM, in that game in Toronto vs the US, but for many other games either Kaye or Eustaquio might be a better fit at DM (although whether Stephen will regain his pre-injury form remains to be seen).

Gonna have to agree to disagree.

Ya made some tackles, but I still saw him getting exposed from over committing too tackles he had no business making. His positioning at times made it easy for the the more pacy/tricky players (that he usually struggles against) go around him with ease.

The passing was a whole different story. Still thought he was the worst player on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Gonna have to agree to disagree.

Ya made some tackles, but I still saw him getting exposed from over committing too tackles he had no business making. His positioning at times made it easy for the the more pacy/tricky players (that he usually struggles against) go around him with ease.

The passing was a whole different story. Still thought he was the worst player on the field.

Really? I watched the whole match closely and yes a couple of very poor passes soured what I thought was a very good away performance in a critical position, he also made some very good passes and others have mentioned some goal saving tackles! To rate him as the worst player on the field is very harsh IMHO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds more like Colliedor just doesn't rate Piette, so take that assessment with a grain of salt :) Tabla was significantly worse than Piette in his +20 minutes, so in my humble opinion Sam was not the worst player on the field.

Niow Piette didn't exactly have a great game, but he was no worse than Kaye was against Club Leon.

This is not me being a Piette fan boy. I am no more a Piette fan than our other players. I do not think he is a surefire starter for the national team, I think very few of us think that. The majority of us believe he deserves to be in the mix, however.

All that being said, I will try not to read too much into how Kaye and Piette and even Tabla played. It is still very early in the season. Let's see what their body of work looks like come fall/playoff time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Sounds more like Colliedor just doesn't rate Piette, so take that assessment with a grain of salt :) Tabla was significantly worse than Piette in his +20 minutes, so in my humble opinion Sam was not the worst player on the field.

Niow Piette didn't exactly have a great game, but he was no worse than Kaye was against Club Leon.

This is not me being a Piette fan boy. I am no more a Piette fan than our other players. I do not think he is a surefire starter for the national team, I think very few of us think that. The majority of us believe he deserves to be in the mix, however.

All that being said, I will try not to read too much into how Kaye and Piette and even Tabla played. It is still very early in the season. Let's see what their body of work looks like come fall/playoff time.

 

Tabla was awful - biggest disappointment on the night by far.

To come out for 20 minutes and not make a SINGLE run through their lines is unacceptable.  But for a moment he was so lackadaisical on the break that I thought he might have been instructed to cover the passing lane to the wing back on his side.  Well... if he was he failed at that too on the first goal and could never recover to block the cross.

He was in the no man's land.  I just don't get it.  That team was ripe to be torn open on the break but an injured Quioto probably would have done better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like their first choice midfield now would be Piette-Wanyama-Taider. So far from what I've heard (haven't actually watched them yet so Impact fans feel free to chime in) Mtl have been almost exclusively a counter attacking side so far this year. I'm guessing they'll keep the midfield deep and let Wanyama and Taider hit any of their gazillion wingers in space

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been very supportive of Piette and think he made the right decision moving to MLS. But at his age he needs to be challenged and pushed to go to another level.

I'm not sure he has a clear idea of one day returning to Europe in search of quality play, prestige and money. Or if he thinks this is it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think MLS is a good level for him. He is above average in this league, by no means a star. I dont know if he could move anywhere and improve his game much more. He will likely make every 23 man Canafian squad and possibly see the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm thinking they'll want to move to a 4-2-3-1 with Wanyama and Taider running the midfield and moving Bojan to his more natural 10 spot. In this scenario Piette remains on the bench but i'm sure he'll get his his minutes. With Waterman, Binks, Taider, and Wanyama they'll have little to no trouble getting the ball up the pitch which is definitely one of Piettes major weaknesses 

Edited by JuicyHam
Had another thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gut reaction was that Piette drops to the bench. He hasn't started the season well. Too many misplaced passes and perhaps he has lost a slight fraction of his quickness. Furthermore, the captaincy was moved to Raitala. Now perhaps there is nothing more to that, but maybe there is considering the Wanyama move.

To be fair, it could also be a case of getting a high level player and shifting the pieces accordingly. I never thought defensive/centre mid was an area that needed strengthening. I don't suspect they were actively trying to strengthen that spot, but you never know. 

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what becomes of now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion when I look at him, I just see future captain written all over him. Hell, in my opinion he should even be captain right now for Canada's national team but that's neither here nor there. But I just want to see him back out there playing for the Impact in the MLS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gator said:

I am a fan of what Piette brings to the game and have been quite supportive of him but I thought he was off the mark last night, he seemed to be playing the wrong passes and in no man's land at times, very uncharacteristically!

He was played out of position, definitely not helping him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love his tenacity and love that he's always taken the call for Canada but under Henry he is not playing particularly well and it mostly has to do with him playing out of position.  Unfortunately he is not a diverse player.  Although holding his own in the Montreal midfield, he really needs that CDM spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...