Samuel Piette

Thougher game for Piette last night against Chicago. His distibution wasnt what it was against Philly, but his mobility and agressiveness was still an asset. He'll have to watch out for those yellow cards though, he had a few bordeline tackles and another ref possibly wouldve sent him off.

Still a better option than any of IMFC's current DM's imo. Donadel still has really good passing skills, but those old legs cant cover enough space, and Bernardello is just useless at anything and should never be fielded.

Another solid performance by Piette last night. Those who were concerned that he wouldnt get his fair share of minutes with IMFC can rest assured, he started for a 3rd consecutive game. Yes, Donadel is recovering from injury but he will have a hard time getting his spot back as Piette has defenitely been an upgrade to Donadel so far.

Expect to see him vs TFC next game.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Another MLS article stating Piette is the natural successor to Bernier with the Impact. Outside of Larin, I don't think I've seen this much hype around a young Canadian player in MLS ever.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/29/new-bernier-quebec-native-samuel-piette-could-be-next-montreal-star

Davies? Maybe that's only in the west.

48 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Another MLS article stating Piette is the natural successor to Bernier with the Impact. Outside of Larin, I don't think I've seen this much hype around a young Canadian player in MLS ever.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/29/new-bernier-quebec-native-samuel-piette-could-be-next-montreal-star

To be that guy......Tabla was more hyped.

Meh. What's w the love in for "the Pitbull" Sammy Piette? Could it be his round cheeks you just want to pinch? Is it the long lochs of hair that oozes machismo a la Real Madrid Beckham, or like a 98 Emmanuel Petit?

All of a sudden everyone in Impact nation is gaga for him like a Québécois Messi. Geez. Yeah he was a good signing for a league like MLS and a 22 year old hometown boy but for real? Throwing him the armband already??? The guy that was playing 3rd div Spain a few months ago is who will be the next captain? Cmon. I'd rather go with Jackson in 2 years. That guy is confident and has a little edge to him. 

Well I guess could be worse. At least upper management are not giving it to Mancosu. They just love giving him benefits when not deserved. 

5 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Meh. What's w the love in for "the Pitbull" Sammy Piette? Could it be his round cheeks you just want to pinch? Is it the long lochs of hair that oozes machismo a la Real Madrid Beckham, or like a 98 Emmanuel Petit?

All of a sudden everyone in Impact nation is gaga for him like a Québécois Messi. Geez. Yeah he was a good signing for a league like MLS and a 22 year old hometown boy but for real? Throwing him the armband already??? The guy that was playing 3rd div Spain a few months ago is who will be the next captain? Cmon. I'd rather go with Jackson in 2 years. That guy is confident and has a little edge to him. 

Well I guess could be worse. At least upper management are not giving it to Mancosu. They just love giving him benefits when not deserved. 

17 hours ago, shermanator said:

I don't think the hype around Piette is out of line. He is the same age as Chapman, who gets a lot of love despite playing a very marginal role. Can you imagine if Chapman started four games in a row and was excellent, one of the best players on the pitch by all accounts? 

11 minutes ago, shamrock said:

That's not really fair as Piette is a breaker and Chapman a creator. Logically Chapman's performance is more of an ebb-and-flow. 

That's not the point. The point was to illustrate that Piette's hype is in-line with the hype surrounding other young MLS players who have shown well. The homegrown factor (even though he is not a HGP) fans the flames, of course. MLS clearly have an agenda to promote local talent. That being said, you still need to play well to garner the hype, and he has.

On 8/30/2017 at 3:17 AM, Moldy9 said:

He has solidified our up to now porous defence, outperformed two highly paid foreign players, been one of our best players in every game he has played (and one of the only ones who played well against TFC even if he did share blame on one goal) and contributed greatly to us being in contention for a playoff spot. He may have saved the season for an incompetently managed team because we were going nowhere with our exposed defence and he was a no brainer low risk signing who just dropped onto their lap. One could claim that the hype is premature after 4 games but it is not out of line with what other players who make a debut like this receive nor do I even think it has been all that homerish as much as people do like a hometown boy. If Bernardello had come in and been as much as an improvement over Alexander in his first 4 games as Piette has been over Bernardello and Donadel (at best Bernardello was about the same as Alexander) he would have gotten hype after 4 games too. AJH has had a break out season also but it has been hampered by insufficient playing time but that is not related to Piette and AJH has received pretty good coverage too with many journalists asking why he is not getting more playing time.

• 6 months later...
On 2017-06-03 at 3:40 PM, Soccerpro said:

I've never understood the love for Piette.

He wouldn't be a starter in MLS, to me.

He's just a spot filler for the CMNT because we have no quality.

I would like to submit that my title for this thread, although optimistic, was indeed correct, and that we "hadn't seen the best of him yet!".  B)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Tg11
11 hours ago, red card said:

The ESPN analyst that TSN brought in for the match said Garde believes Piette can be a starter in a first division Europe and wouldn't be surprised if he leaves.

I sure hope so. I can only imagine which clubs would even try to sign him. He will be 28 by the time Qatar 2022 starts so he will be hitting his peak. 

12 hours ago, shamrock said:

On the positive side he was replaced by Shome, who's had his second appearance now. Of course I hope both will succeed (and be spared of injuries). 

Piette leaving to sign in a decent league in Europe and Shome replacing him next year would be a perfect succession story for us.  That is how we have to hope MLS will one day start to work for us - as a constant path to bigger leagues for our best young players, resulting in new opportunities for up-and-coming Canadian players.  Osorio moving on and someone like Fraser slotting in is another scenario I'm hoping for.  

Guest Tg11
36 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Piette leaving to sign in a decent league in Europe and Shome replacing him next year would be a perfect succession story for us.  That is how we have to hope MLS will one day start to work for us - as a constant path to bigger leagues for our best young players, resulting in new opportunities for up-and-coming Canadian players.  Osorio moving on and someone like Fraser slotting in is another scenario I'm hoping for.  

Yes it would and more Canadian players should be playing in the MLS