Samuel Piette

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Just 2 months ago we were hearing from many here that where Piette played was garbage and he had to move up to improve at all as a player. I disagreed, since he had a good season, but he was by no means breaking down doors. There are plenty more like him at that level.

I take it like this: Either.... 

-Spanish third tier is a lot better than most realize. 

-MLS is a lot worse overall than most realize, if a third tier player can shine.

-Piette miraculously improved dramatically since the season ended in Spain. 

Why not a bit of all three?

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just 2 months ago we were hearing from many here that where Piette played was garbage and he had to move up to improve at all as a player. I disagreed, since he had a good season, but he was by no means breaking down doors. There are plenty more like him at that level.

-MLS is a lot worse overall than most realize, if a third tier player can shine.

It's one game he played let see how he does remainder of the season... 

I do hope he keeps up that high standard. Also he must of been amp up to play his first game in MLS.

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

or a fourth reason. Supposedly Piette also had offers from a 2nd division Spain, which may or may not be equivalent to MLS, but is a respectable comparison.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

-It's literally one game against a bottom 5 team in MLS.

-Players from the leagues that are "better" than MLS come to the league and fail all the time. Adam Nemec came to MLS as the top scorer in the 2. Bundesliga and was one of the worst players in league history, Marcelo Gallardo transferred to MLS from PSG and was benched before midseason...you can't judge two leagues using one player as the sample size. 

-It's entirely possible Piette improved significantly in the last year. Tommy Thompson has gone from complete waste of space on an MLS roster to the best player on the Earthquakes in 2 months after Dom Kinnear got fired. Sometimes players have a ton of talent and just need the right situation, confidence, and development for everything to click.

54 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Interesting that he brought up his trial with Borussia Dortmund II between his time with Fortuna Dusseldorf and Deportivo la Coruna, and that he had a deal signed, but it was contingent on another player not exercising his option to stay. That player decided to stay, so Piette could not sign. 

Wonder where he would be if that deal went through?

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The German 3rd division? I'm as big of a Piette booster as anyone but there's no way he's anywhere near their first team.

Wouldn't be surprised if he would have been sniffing around the 1st team by now. You get better when you play with better players. Highly unlikely he would have been a regular for them though. 

For what it's worth I'd be saying the same if he stuck with Deportivo, though perhaps he'd of had more first team involvement.

50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he would have been sniffing around the 1st team by now. You get better when you play with better players. Highly unlikely he would have been a regular for them though.

Very unlikely. Few players who play for BVBII ever get to the first team, let alone one that was never even officially signed. Marcel Schmelzer and Erik Durm are the only two field players on their current first team that played more than 5 games for BVBII.

There has been one promotion from BVBII in the last 3 years while Pulisic, Passlack, Larsen and Reimann have come directly from the u19s.

Edited by harrycoyster

7 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Shamit Shome. Plays very similarly to Bernier. Of course Montreal hasn't done anything with him all year. He is creative, and a very solid passer. Give him a year or two to develop and he should be their guy. Of course he needs to play to develop....

Yeah, Shome was passed over by 3-4 USL and NASL teams for lack of ability. Bernier was making in smaller European leagues at that age. Shome is not going to replace Bernier as nobody in the area has any idea who he is. 

Edited by ChrisinOrleans
Spelling, because #Franco

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Very unlikely. Few players who play for BVBII ever get to the first team, let alone one that was never even officially signed. Marcel Schmelzer and Erik Durm are the only two field players on their current first team that played more than 5 games for BVBII.

There has been one promotion from BVBII in the last 3 years while Pulisic, Passlack, Larsen and Reimann have come directly from the u19s.

Yeah I agree it would be unlikely, but I also wouldn't be shocked either. Piette is a good player. If I was a betting man I would say, at best, he'd make it as far as training with the first team (aka..sniffing around the first team).

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is a small sample size of one game so we'll see how he does. If he can be consistent (and I think he can) he will be a mainstay. I think it is a mix of all 3. He has improved, outside the DPs and a select few others MLS is mostly journeymen and 3rd tier in Spain would be better than NASL?

3 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

-It's literally one game against a bottom 5 team in MLS.

-Players from the leagues that are "better" than MLS come to the league and fail all the time. Adam Nemec came to MLS as the top scorer in the 2. Bundesliga and was one of the worst players in league history, Marcelo Gallardo transferred to MLS from PSG and was benched before midseason...you can't judge two leagues using one player as the sample size. 

-It's entirely possible Piette improved significantly in the last year. Tommy Thompson has gone from complete waste of space on an MLS roster to the best player on the Earthquakes in 2 months after Dom Kinnear got fired. Sometimes players have a ton of talent and just need the right situation, confidence, and development for everything to click.

I think it's a reminder to put more stock in the player than the club or league he came from.

4 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Yeah, Shome was passed over by 3-4 USL and NASL teams for lack of ability. Bernier was making in smaller European leagues at that age. Shome is not going to replace Bernier as nobody in the area has any idea who he is. 

Passed over? When was he passed over? He started nearly every single game for FC Edmonton and was one of the main reason's for their success. If it wasn't for his connection in the midfield they never would have gotten to where they were. There was a huge drop off from last year to this year. That is why FC Edmonton brought in Mckendry. They are trying to fill the position that Shome dominated last year and so far no one has been able to fill it. If Shome is already better than Mckendry then he will have a career in the MLS. They just need to give him a chance. There is a reason that he was signed by the MLS and it wasn't just to give a Canadian a token generation adidas contract. 

I hope you do realize that during the MLS combine he has playing through an injury. So don't base his performance off of that. As well, this whole first half of the MLS season he has been recovering from that same injury so he didn't get off on the right foot unfortunately. Eventually he will show his quality and a MLS side will recognize that. Luckily he is a domestic player all around the MLS so he won't be limited to the Canadian clubs.

And as far as nobody knowing who he is. That shouldn't have an effect on the coaching. the best player will eventually win the spot. If he shows the quality there are plenty of ways to drive up the hype on him to get his name out there. He is Canadian, young, and the one of the first Canadians to be signed to a generation adidas contract. 

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Passed over? When was he passed over? He started nearly every single game for FC Edmonton and was one of the main reason's for their success. If it wasn't for his connection in the midfield they never would have gotten to where they were. There was a huge drop off from last year to this year. That is why FC Edmonton brought in Mckendry. They are trying to fill the position that Shome dominated last year and so far no one has been able to fill it. If Shome is already better than Mckendry then he will have a career in the MLS. They just need to give him a chance. There is a reason that he was signed by the MLS and it wasn't just to give a Canadian a token generation adidas contract. 

I hope you do realize that during the MLS combine he has playing through an injury. So don't base his performance off of that. As well, this whole first half of the MLS season he has been recovering from that same injury so he didn't get off on the right foot unfortunately. Eventually he will show his quality and a MLS side will recognize that. Luckily he is a domestic player all around the MLS so he won't be limited to the Canadian clubs.

And as far as nobody knowing who he is. That shouldn't have an effect on the coaching. the best player will eventually win the spot. If he shows the quality there are plenty of ways to drive up the hype on him to get his name out there. He is Canadian, young, and the one of the first Canadians to be signed to a generation adidas contract. 

My post was referring to him being the 41st overall pick in a pretty poor MLS draft (and he's a free player). I haven't watched a single one of his games at FC Edmonton, but when I hear that scouts bashed his lack of athletic ability and foot speed I don't hold much hope that he'll be a CMNT starter one day. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong, but the fact that he hasn't even made the 18 once this MLS season on a bad Impact team isn't a great sign.

Edited by harrycoyster

Adam Nemec came to mls as the top scorer in the 2.Bundesliga...he never scored more than 10 goals in a season in that league and in the first half of the 2014-15 season became a reserve, played only 5 games a sub in the 2.Bundesliga and was sent to the second team of union berlin in the fourth division before being released and signing with nycfc

Um the Impact might be bad but who is Shome going ahead of in the midfield? Dzemali, Donadel, Bernier, Tabla??  The logjam in midfield doesnt mean he is less of a player.  Just like Piette playing in div 3, the label on the division didnt make him any better or worse than he was.  

I just wish FC2 was around so Shome, Choinere etc could get some more games under their belt.  Why didnt Shome get sent to Ottawa??  

22 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Um the Impact might be bad but who is Shome going ahead of in the midfield? Dzemali, Donadel, Bernier, Tabla??  The logjam in midfield doesnt mean he is less of a player.

I'm not expecting him the beat out any of those players for starting minutes, though Donadel looks...replaceable. I was, however, expecting him to occasionally be one of the 18 best players on a 26-28 man roster.

27 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Adam Nemec came to mls as the top scorer in the 2.Bundesliga...he never scored more than 10 goals in a season in that league and in the first half of the 2014-15 season became a reserve, played only 5 games a sub in the 2.Bundesliga and was sent to the second team of union berlin in the fourth division before being released and signing with nycfc

You're right, I think I melded together American international Bobby Wood and Nemec in my head somehow. Substitute Milton Caraglio or Luis Landin or Jonathan Mensah in Nemec's place. 

Edited by harrycoyster

4 hours ago, TRM said:

It is a small sample size of one game so we'll see how he does. If he can be consistent (and I think he can) he will be a mainstay. I think it is a mix of all 3. He has improved, outside the DPs and a select few others MLS is mostly journeymen and 3rd tier in Spain would be better than NASL?

To be honest, sincere, I've seen lots of Spanish 3rd tier, 2B. And MLS, and I never thought it was near MLS. I don't think there are more than 3-4 teams in 2B, out of 80, that could manage MLS, if that, it is a different level, financially, experience, internationals, fan base, in all respects. Most MLS players would show well to excellent in Spanish 2B. 

What is the key, IMO, is that the training and competitive level you get in Spain is very high, it prepares you to compete at a top level. You have an excellent technical level, refined tactical intelligence, and good physical preparation, which is compensated in anything it lacks by technique and positional play. Plus it is fiercely competitive, inside a squad (for a roster spot), on a club (playing for which team, A, B), and against rivals, sometimes bitterly competitive. The pressure is terrible. All this holds true in higher divisions from about age 11-12 on. It is very hard to handle, I know this first hand, the pressure and stress are severe.

17 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

It is worth noting the year Piette would have signed with BVBII, they played in the 3.Liga - so the competition would have been good.

While it is highly unlikely he would have been promoted to the senior team, playing in 3.Liga would have given him exposure to teams who potentially would get promoted. Christoph Zimmerman is currently playing with Norwich, signed directly from BVBII, so if he had been a regular he might have been able to move to a decent club.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

To be honest, sincere, I've seen lots of Spanish 3rd tier, 2B. And MLS, and I never thought it was near MLS. I don't think there are more than 3-4 teams in 2B, out of 80, that could manage MLS, if that, it is a different level, financially, experience, internationals, fan base, in all respects. Most MLS players would show well to excellent in Spanish 2B. 

What is the key, IMO, is that the training and competitive level you get in Spain is very high, it prepares you to compete at a top level. You have an excellent technical level, refined tactical intelligence, and good physical preparation, which is compensated in anything it lacks by technique and positional play. Plus it is fiercely competitive, inside a squad (for a roster spot), on a club (playing for which team, A, B), and against rivals, sometimes bitterly competitive. The pressure is terrible. All this holds true in higher divisions from about age 11-12 on. It is very hard to handle, I know this first hand, the pressure and stress are severe.

Now this I can totally agree with. but not you're previous over simplification and comparisions between leagues.

About Shome, he's at the bottom of the depth chart. Louis Beland Goyette is ahead of him, and imo, being similar players, I rather LBG so far as he's been good everytime IMFC has fielded him this season.

But back to Piette, sorry if it was mentionned already, but he's been named on the MLS TOTW.

edit: Ok it was. I just saw Shermanator's post about it.

Edited by Shakmur

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

My post was referring to him being the 41st overall pick in a pretty poor MLS draft (and he's a free player). I haven't watched a single one of his games at FC Edmonton, but when I hear that scouts bashed his lack of athletic ability and foot speed I don't hold much hope that he'll be a CMNT starter one day. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong, but the fact that he hasn't even made the 18 once this MLS season on a bad Impact team isn't a great sign.

So, you've never watched Shome play, and are basing your opinion solely on an MLS beat writer stating that MLS scouts (who also have never watched him play in NASL, forming their opinion from a short combine where he was playing through a broken foot and out of position) saying he doesn't have the ability to play MLS? Alright then.

If you haven't watch him directly, perhaps the opinions of Shome's coaches in NASL or the youth national team should also be included in your research? Or those os us who actually watched him play in NASL? There's a reason why he went from CIS / FC Edmonton academy prosepct to every game NASL starter in 8 months, and is so highly rated.

Personally, I thought the move to MLS was a big time risk for Shome from the development point of view, especially consdering he had room to grow in NASL with another year as a starter under his belt. So far my thoughts are proving to be correct. That said, to say at age 19 that he's not a national team player based on what some MLS scouts are saying is completely premature.

His fitness and conditioning, it seems to me, are also a high level. He rarely gets injured, knock on wood, and he plays in a busy part of the field. I also think that he likely played on a lot of field turf these last years, so should be ready for MLS pitches. All these are factors which enhance his continuity on a roster and help him manage his role more maturely.

On 2017-08-14 at 3:33 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

You forgot to add an X factor: playing for your hometown team into the equation. 

I believe this adds positive pressure on Sam and extra motivation to do well. Also having the comforts of home after being a stranger in a new world, just a more at ease environment.