Samuel Piette

Judging by his play at the Gold Cup and Montreal's current defensive form Piette should be a starter. Hopefully he uses his chance to really get noticed. Unfortunately I think this will limit his development to a solid MLS player now that he has joined the cult of no return.

Still, this is better than staying where he was. There is room for growth in the MLS as well. I don't want to be to negative.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Not going to lie, assuming this is where Piette has signed, I'm disappointed the Impact are the destination.

what a waste if it's true.

There's still hopes as TVA Sports or RDS haven't reported anything yet

Edited by Ansem

I actually like this move and wish him all the best (except against TFC!).  Higher level and get to watch him more.  Just my opinion, but I was never impressed with Donadel or Bernardello.  Bernier worried me a lot more.  I hope Piette gives more angst in our derby matches!

I like the move. I do hate the structure of MLS contracts, and the difficulties players seem to sometimes run into transferring out. It's not impossible though, and at least now we might actually get to watch Piette play at club level, and really take stock. I can't say I've had that opportunity before. Besides, the Gold Cup final was flooded with MLS players, and neither Canada nor Piette is beyond that level yet.

Not necessarily the ideal outcome from a CMNT perspective, but MLS has to be a step up from the Spanish 3rd tier.  Kind of a trade off - maybe not as likely to lead to a top tier league as if he had stayed 'across the pond' but also the chance to play with some CMNT peers, continue developing at a higher level of play, and maybe even work on Tabla a bit. And while he had a strong GC, it's not like all his past play has indicated he was inevitably destined for a top Euro league.

All in all, I am okay with the move.

47 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Maybe not he could develop into a great player.... If he gets to play many games he will improve.

This will be the true test. If he ends up parked behind Donadel on the depth chart all year this won't be a great move for us, the MNT fans. That's not to say it's a bad move for Piette himself, as we don't know the offers that were on the table.

Good move for him IMO if true. I look at this as a replacement for Arregui- spot starter with likely a bigger role moving forward in 2018. Bernier (37), Donadel (34) and Bernardello (32) have all regressed this year. He's also better than Mallace, Shome, Beland-Goyette and right now Choiniere. 

35 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This will be the true test. If he ends up parked behind Donadel on the depth chart all year this won't be a great move for us, the MNT fans. That's not to say it's a bad move for Piette himself, as we don't know the offers that were on the table.

Regardless of where he lands, we know he's trying to move up a level. There is always the risk that you get stuck behind better players when you do this. It's on the player to earn their spot at the new club. At least in Montreal the club will have a vested interest in playing a local kid. He won't get this anywhere else he goes.

We really have no idea how this turns out but Montreal has the oldest midfield in the league so definitely seems promising to be a young local guy coming in. Obviously you wish he reached higher in Europe but this is a step up still... probably better than segunda and who knows what happens.. he's still only 22 shockingly. With the way the fans have treated Bernier I'm happy, even as a tfc fan.  I hope Piette becomes a guy I hate at club level and love at national team level. He certainly cranked it up a notch this summer now let's hope it's real and not a blip.

I think this is a good move for him and Canada on the whole.  I don't think there is a club in mls that will take care of their own better than Montreal, so long as they are worthy. 

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Crepeau, and Bernier under Klopas would disagree

Any manager you sign under is going to favour you. The fact local Biello is there will only enhance that fact. He will have his chance he just really needs to seize it. 

Bernier being dropped was strange but I think it was a case of him being written off due to his age.

Another Québec player in Montréal - bravo!  

Now, if Piette and Bernier start together, and bring their chemistry from the Gold Cup, well, the Impact season might be salvaged. If they continue to see good performances from Jackson-Hamel as well, it could be the defining moment where we realize that Montréal produces amazing local talent. 

Lâche pas!  

Now, will someone give Olivier Occéan a call and tell him Ottawa needs a proven goal scorer....

43 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

Another Québec player in Montréal - bravo!  

Now, if Piette and Bernier start together, and bring their chemistry from the Gold Cup, well, the Impact season might be salvaged. If they continue to see good performances from Jackson-Hamel as well, it could be the defining moment where we realize that Montréal produces amazing local talent. 

Lâche pas!  

Now, will someone give Olivier Occéan a call and tell him Ottawa needs a proven goal scorer....

I think Occean is having a great time in Norway