Samuel Piette

On 3/20/2019 at 12:51 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think his story says two things. First, maybe third tier in Spain is not so bad after all, maybe teams should be looking for players from that level for CPL ,

Nah, some of our teams prefer 7th tier English players...

10 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Nah, some of our teams prefer 7th tier English players...

Just on salary considerations, CPL should be able to have its picking of English 5th tier, at least. 

Germany 4th tier. 

Spanish 3rd, since there are lots of players making 30 grand a year at that level, plenty would jump at the chance to get a living wage and play in Canada. But true, you have to scout carefully.

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just on salary considerations, CPL should be able to have its picking of English 5th tier, at least. 

Germany 4th tier. 

Spanish 3rd, since there are lots of players making 30 grand a year at that level, plenty would jump at the chance to get a living wage and play in Canada. But true, you have to scout carefully.

Yes, and for lifestyle, adventure and the hope of kickstarting the career I'd say some players in League 2 (fourth tier) would come over.

13 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Yes, and for lifestyle, adventure and the hope of kickstarting the career I'd say some players in League 2 (fourth tier) would come over.

Agreed, you have a large swath of players in League 2 for sure who are in the lower salary range, on more modest clubs with less chance of promoting. 

We could include Serie C, and the lower echelons of French 2nd tier.

I know a big striker from Sant Andreu, a 4th tier team in Barcelona, Elhadji, born in Spain to Gambian parents, who recently signed into 2nd division Greece, for a team with a stadium smaller than anything in CPL. They scouted him because Sant Andreu played Atletico de Madrid in a early cup round. But what I am saying is this: you could go a division higher in Spain and still have good pickings.

One factor a more experienced player from a non-English speaking country would have is his kids being schooled in Canada a few years, and learning English. That is another incentive that we often don't appreciate in Canada. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 3 months later...

In this interview, he says that if Montreal doesn't offer him a good contract, he's open to go back to Europe as he's only 24.

He would go back only for a top tier like Ligue 1. Seems like David talked to him a lot about Belgium as he mentioned it. He also said that England would fit his physical style of play. 

Hoping he goes to Europe 

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

In this interview, he says that if Montreal doesn't offer him a good contract, he's open to go back to Europe as he's only 24.

He would go back only for a top tier like Ligue 1. Seems like David talked to him a lot about Belgium as he mentioned it. He also said that England would first his physical style of play. 

Hoping he goes to Europe 

Saw the 2019 mls salaries and was surprised at how little he makes. Belgium would be a nice option for him if mtl doesnt put in a suitable offer. 

Well to be fair he wasnt coming in with a ton of fanfare, and prob gave him a 3 year contract which will soon be over.  Which would have given a young guy stability and the chance to play in front of friends and family etc.  Whats a every game DM worth these days in MLS? Especially one that the team uses in its marketing and the fan base would howl if they let him go.   

29 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Saw the 2019 mls salaries and was surprised at how little he makes. Belgium would be a nice option for him if mtl doesnt put in a suitable offer. 

He has a low salary because he was offered literally nothing in Europe before he signed, just continue in Spanish 3rd tier making way less. 

If he had gotten a proper offer from a Spanish 2nd div team, at say 100k euros, he may not have made the move to Impact.

I am not sure if he really appreciates that his market value is not overly high, in MLS players like him might take half a decade to get up to 160 or 180k. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He has a low salary because he was offered literally nothing in Europe before he signed, just continue in Spanish 3rd tier making way less. 

If he had gotten a proper offer from a Spanish 2nd div team, at say 100k euros, he may not have made the move to Impact.

I am not sure if he really appreciates that his market value is not overly high, in MLS players like him might take half a decade to get up to 160 or 180k. 

Yes coming from third division spain his contract was reasonable.

Kaye makes $178k 

delgado 253k

teibert 190k

piette currently making 143k. 

Id think piette is looking for something around 200k - 250k with a nice term. 

Edited by king1010

50 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If you look at other players around the league Piette should be looking for $400k+ minimum.  I.e. Will Johnson make that. Most CONCACAF starting midfielders in MLS make that as well.

Will Johnson is also a 32 year old vet.

Though, to be fair, he's been making over 300k for his entire MLS career. He also came over from Herenveen, so he was probably able to negotiate his contract from a place of relative strength.

On the balance of his play, I think Piette deserves somewhere between $250 - 300k.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:54 PM, king1010 said:

Yes coming from third division spain his contract was reasonable.

Kaye makes $178k 

delgado 253k

teibert 190k

piette currently making 143k. 

Id think piette is looking for something around 200k - 250k with a nice term. 

Ok, fine. So where is the offer to pay him 200k that would enable him to bargain with Impact?

Does it exist?

Teibert way higher: that is simply a slight raise ever few years getting him there, but it is a low ceiling to hit at his age, frankly. 

The agent would do better to drum real offers up, rather than arranging interviews about how valuable he thinks he is. Value is determined by the market, not by what a players happens to think about himself. 

This is from someone who, obviously, has followed and admires Piette from his Deportivo B days, I am all for him. I am just skeptical about this bs about what you are worth when there is no market pressure to raise your value (goes for Osorio, for Hutch, for Cavallini, and so on, even David).

There might be a little market pressure from other MLS teams, lots of teams need defensive help and the league is ever expanding. 

As for the other guys mentioned, Delgado is highly praised at TFC, and his main claim to fame is he runs alot.  Marky doesnt score more than a couple goals a season and a couple assists.  Piette is a pure D-mid and still gets a few assists a year, its not like he is a black hole/turnover machine when the ball comes to him.  Johnson was a multiple all star and a best 11 choice, so he has earned his 400g.  I can see montreal offering a raise, in that 200-300 range because he could probably get that in a few other MLS clubs not considering any overseas offers.    

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am just skeptical about this bs about what you are worth when there is no market pressure to raise your value (goes for Osorio, for Hutch, for Cavallini, and so on, even David).

Hutch’s value is never going to climb at this age, but Cav and David’s certainly have. And it’s been reported that there were offers for both of them

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Hutch’s value is never going to climb at this age, but Cav and David’s certainly have. And it’s been reported that there were offers for both of them

It's been reported, we heard, and so on.

If there is interest it will appear in the press for sure, anywhere out of North America.  I am bothered by these players settting their agents loose on public opinion, when in fact, if interest were real, teams would be coming to talk. 

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am bothered by these players settting their agents loose on public opinion, when in fact, if interest were real, teams would be coming to talk. 

What makes you think that is happening with Hutch, Cav and David?

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's been reported, we heard, and so on.

If there is interest it will appear in the press for sure, anywhere out of North America.  I am bothered by these players settting their agents loose on public opinion, when in fact, if interest were real, teams would be coming to talk. 

im trying to process your train of thought. 

"it's been reported, we heard, and so on" is what would come from the press. 

You're saying there is no real interest in Cav or David because there is no press outside of N.A? I've read articles on interest in David from European outlets, Cavallini's was Mexican outlets naturally because the rumored transfer was to Mexico. 

I'm just confused at what your point is. You won't believe it until it comes from the press outside of N.A but at the same time it appears you sarcastically say "its been reported, we heard". Which is it? if the European press "reports" on it where do you stand? The only way we would know of interest from clubs in these players is from "reports" from news outlets. 

Edited by king1010

Piette reminds me a lot of Cole Skuse, on Ipswich Town. Skuse is perhaps a little more talented and not as slow, but Piette maybe more effective as a destroyer. Looks to play sideways or backwards. Bounces between Championship and League 1 - would have 50 caps if he was Canadian. Good pro, reliable but definitely not a top league player.

Piette is far from the finished product and needs to keep working, and appreciate who gave him his first big payday and chance to play. If someone comes in for him, that's proof he deserves to play at a higher level where money is better.

Edited by BCM

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What makes you think that is happening with Hutch, Cav and David?

I'm just bothered by the cases where there really is nothing, zilch, and then an internal rumour mill starts with zero corroboration. Cav, David, different story, you are right. Piette, Osorio, there was nothing there. 

MLS is one of the most amateur leagues when it comes to creating stories out of nothing, since they live in a bubble, they think that you can make up BS, or maybe player agents do. 

5 hours ago, king1010 said:

im trying to process your train of thought. 

"it's been reported, we heard, and so on" is what would come from the press. 

You're saying there is no real interest in Cav or David because there is no press outside of N.A? I've read articles on interest in David from European outlets, Cavallini's was Mexican outlets naturally because the rumored transfer was to Mexico. 

I'm just confused at what your point is. You won't believe it until it comes from the press outside of N.A but at the same time it appears you sarcastically say "its been reported, we heard". Which is it? if the European press "reports" on it where do you stand? The only way we would know of interest from clubs in these players is from "reports" from news outlets. 

If there is real interest, there will be real reports. That is how it works. With Cav, real. With David too. I am not even saying European only. 

In MLS they just make stuff up, about others, when in world football it does not work that way: the press following Dortmund or Lechia or Olympiakos or Independiente de Medellín is right on top of all rumours, and if they report, there is usually something there. Because fans are desperate for news, and the press feeds this. I am not saying there is not falsehood, of course there is. But falsehood from a press source in Athens or Medellin is more reliable than these MLS agents coming out saying we have offers--when there is absolutely zero indication of any such thing, anywhere. 

Mind you, I think some MLS teams are total dupes, they can be incredibly ignorant and at times can pay way over market value based on pure wispy smoke.