Vote: CPL cities needed to succeed

Kent

7 minutes ago, matty said:

I agree the league will not be dependant on ticket sales to survive but they will be important. Having a declining attendance hurts not just money wise but also atmosphere wise. People worry about using certain stadiums already because soccer sucks in empty stadiums and it also doesn't look good on TV and can hurt TV deals and local

I think further proof they aren't relying on tickets sales for the viability of the teams is by looking at how cheap the tickets are. For Halifax, they said between 10$-35$. By having a pack stadium at first ensure that more people will want into the bandwagon and check it out. It's an obvious move to also get the stadiums filled so they get some revenues and most importantly so it looks good on TV.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think further proof they aren't relying on tickets sales for the viability of the teams is by looking at how cheap the tickets are. For Halifax, they said between 10$-35$. By having a pack stadium at first ensure that more people will want into the bandwagon and check it out. It's an obvious move to also get the stadiums filled so they get some revenues and most importantly so it looks good on TV.

I again agree fully that's what they're looking to do. But at the same time in Southern Ontario cities are close enough there might be real issues by putting a lot of teams into the league that close so fast.

If i had to pick 12 cities for the first deace (I say 12 because it seems more realistic and is still an awesome number when you think how long it took MLS to double its team count): Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Hamilton, GTA, Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax, Moncton

After everyone is strong enough then we see London/KW and Vancouver.

I think for your first 10-12 you should try and get as many big markets as possible, but this might be just me. If you get stuck with a cap on how aggressive and big your league can get because you have to appease smaller markets you'll be in trouble. 

The Moncton thing is a romantic idea but I worry how that would affect the league as whole. Apologies to all the east coasters I just offended.

Some random points about the conversation going on.

1. I think Matty disagrees with the premise of Ansem's vision (the premise being Paul Beirne's statement that the league could grow to a maximum of 16 teams). I think it's hard to come up with a radically different list from what Ansem proposed when you are talking about 16 teams. Maybe one less Southern Ontario team (Windsor?) in exchange for St. John's?

2. About the close packed Southern Ontario teams. Yes, there likely would be some cannibalisation, but at the same time, away support would likely be a lot higher for those teams. A fan in Winnipeg for example, would likely only go to home games for their team. Let's say that's 14 games worth of paying for tickets/concessions. A fan in KW however, would go to 14 home games as well, and just might make the drive to a game in London, Hamilton, and maybe even Toronto and/or Windsor. So now you've got the same person squeezed for more money, 16 or 18 games worth. There is a bit of give and take going on, and it would be exciting if the league did get to this point and thrived.

3. Since populations are often thrown around on here, I got curious. The CFL started in 1958, when the population of Canada was about 17 million. The populations of the founding cities (metro area) in 1961 were the following:
Winnipeg - 479k
Edmonton - 360k
Regina - 114k
Calgary - 279k
Vancouver - 827k
Hamilton - 401k
Montreal - 2.2 million
Ottawa - 457k
Toronto - 1.9 million

(numbers taken from here: http://www.demographia.com/db-cancma.htm )

So the CFL started with cities the size of present day London (Winnipeg and Ottawa), Victoria (Edmonton), Lethbridge (Regina), Saskatoon (Calgary), Quebec City (Vancouver), Halifax (Hamilton). Montreal and Toronto in those days were smaller than Vancouver is today, and 6 of the 9 cities were smaller than London or KW today.

(present day populations taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_metropolitan_areas_and_agglomerations_in_Canada )

On 4/3/2017 at 3:37 PM, Ansem said:

It's going to be a gate driven league.  Full stop.  That's it.  

If your business model in city X, Y, or Z doesn't recognize that then your business model better include endless years of annual losses. 

Rest of your post, point taken.  I'll leave the speculative side of the marketing schemes (included discounted tickets) as they relate to the reality of the dollars and cents side of running a business to the the individual investor groups.  Tricky business that.  Entering the realm of unforeseen consequences there.  

29 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

It's going to be a gate driven league.  Full stop.  That's it.  

If your business model in city X, Y, or Z doesn't recognize that then your business model better include endless years of annual losses. 

Vic's told Yahoo (I think, BBTB posted it a while ago and hasn't been game to repost it) that they were looking to make sure the league isn't "dependant" on the gate because such a league can't work in the modern North American sports world. The ticket sales (especially season ticket sales) will be a big part of this league but based off of that it's safe to say a great deal of funds will come from elsewhere (sponsorship and TV likely).

9 hours ago, matty said:

Vic's told Yahoo (I think, BBTB posted it a while ago and hasn't been game to repost it) that they were looking to make sure the league isn't "dependant" on the gate because such a league can't work in the modern North American sports world. The ticket sales (especially season ticket sales) will be a big part of this league but based off of that it's safe to say a great deal of funds will come from elsewhere (sponsorship and TV likely).

Exactly and our league playing during the summer like MLS and Scandinavian leagues, some of those worldwide sports channels and football specific channels will be interested in CPL. Unlikely going to be for lots of money but those channels needs content to broadcast as well, so yeah, sponsorship and TV contracts will be a major source of revenues.

• 1 month later...

There hasn't been a vote by anyone for a very long time, and it goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyways. Vote officially closed now that Hamilton and Winnipeg have been announced. Now we play the waiting game to see how close our list was to reality.

Archived