Findlay to take over as interim coach

Ruffian

Just like we talked about Benito's tactics as #Floroball let's make #Findlayball a thing. Also did Cavallini ever actually play under Floro since Findlay coached the Ghana game?

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I wouldn't be shocked if he took us to the gold cup

Wouldn't be shocked either but one problem with Floro is that we didn't have a tournament to judge him on before WCQs started since Colin Miller coached the Gold Cup. I'd like a new coach by mid-April so that person can then have the time to learn our player pool, lead us through one or two June friendlies and then play the 2017 Gold Cup. That would give us a sense of the coach and what they are trying to do against CONCACAF teams far better than camps in Spain vs Mauritania.

We all know how this goes, don't we?

We'll have a decent run of meaningless friendlies and hire Findlay full time.  I hope he plays a similar role as he did under Floro to whoever we hire next and then maybe he can find himself at a pro club and back in a position to be our manager in time.  

4 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Doesn't seem like there is much support for him to become the permanent coach, but what if he were to take the team to Gold Cup and get to the semi-finals or even further. Does he become a option for the job?

I would argue that if this scenario were to happen, then he could be deserving of the job full time.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

We should have a manager in place before the Gold Cup- stupid not to.

we need someone with a much better pedigree than Findlay IMO

Someone who has coached a big team like Real Madrid? :P

19 hours ago, Floortom said:

We should have a manager in place before the Gold Cup- stupid not to.

we need someone with a much better pedigree than Findlay IMO

Exactly.. only in Canada do we do this interim business it seems.  Would Jamaica or Panama go into the Gold Cup with an interim coach with no professional managing experience?  

We go into the Gold Cup as an underdog every year but we actually have a talented squad and it wouldn't be farfetched to go to the final or even win.  But we do ourselves no favours when we can't even sort out the basics of a team.

Why not hire someone with CONCACAF experience right now on a 9 month contract?  We can play 8~ friendlies still before the Gold Cup and then who knows?  If the coach fails and it isn't working then sack him and always have someone in mind who is next in line.  

Do we have too much pride to give a coach from another CONCACAF nation a try? 

42 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Exactly.. only in Canada do we do this interim business it seems.  Would Jamaica or Panama go into the Gold Cup with an interim coach with no professional managing experience?  

We go into the Gold Cup as an underdog every year but we actually have a talented squad and it wouldn't be farfetched to go to the final or even win.  But we do ourselves no favours when we can't even sort out the basics of a team.

Why not hire someone with CONCACAF experience right now on a 9 month contract?  We can play 8~ friendlies still before the Gold Cup and then who knows?  If the coach fails and it isn't working then sack him and always have someone in mind who is next in line.  

I think in Canada the interim coach is essentially very similar to this 9 month contract but with added flexibility to install another coach if a better one comes along. I don't think the CSA should hamstring themselves because they want to have the same contract structure as other CONCACAF organisations.

52 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I see the interim coach as a last minute band-aid solution as a result of lack of preparedness.  It has been clear over the last couple of years that Floro was not the man for the job.  Back then the CSA should have started looking for a new coach and initiated preliminary  conversations with prospects.  Then a few months back had started finalizing deals so they would have been ready for a smooth transition to the new coach.  More clearly yet, the CSA knew darned well when Floro's contract was ending.  Why wait until then to start looking.

1 minute ago, The Ref said:

I see the interim coach as a last minute band-aid solution as a result of lack of preparedness.  It has been clear over the last couple of years that Floro was not the man for the job.  Back then the CSA should have started looking for a new coach and initiated preliminary  conversations with prospects.  Then a few months back had started finalizing deals so they would have been ready for a smooth transition to the new coach.  More clearly yet, the CSA knew darned well when Floro's contract was ending.  Why wait until then to start looking.

It's well known that top prospects, after having preliminary talks, will wait 2-3 years to have the chance to coach a team like Canada MNT....

20 hours ago, kacbru said:

Give Jose Mourinho a few more games and he might be available.

While I love that he's on the verge of another spectaular failure with MUFC, if we were ever to actually hire that @#$% Moronho I'd never go to another match. Quite possibly the most odious human being in the history of the universe.

Archived