Fall Friendlies - (El Salvador again in the USA?)

Monday October 3rd to Tuesday October 11th
Monday November 7th to Tuesday November 15th

http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/Tournament/Competition/02/03/95/26/IMC2014-2018FIFAversionv1Apr2015_Neutral.pdf

First mission 2022 friendly rumour: http://www.edhdeportes.com/articulo/seleccion-sub20/campamento-para-seleccion-sub-20-estados-unidos-125246

"La FESFUT hace gestiones para conseguir otro campamento en el exterior antes que finalice el año. También existe la posibilidad de que realice un amistoso ante su par de Canadá el 7 o el 8 de octubre, pero todavía están en conversaciones."

12 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

It is bizarre - and borderline incompetent - that they did not hold more friendlies in the run-up to the Honduras and El Salvador games. This was a critical period and they blew it. 

With which players? and when? You try getting players outside FIFA dates. Only time it works is late December to early February aka Camp Poutine time - they did that.

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Sure, but I'd have more trouble getting to those ones! ;)

Plus I've intentionally mentioned two teams that I think would have huge appeal here in Canada. I could envision a great atmosphere at either of those matches, even for a friendly.

I was more of a joke as it is easier for me to get to Scotland or Ireland that it is Canada. 

It's great they're looking for friendly's against good opositions (Morocco). But I think it's really important that in the next 2 years we have friendlies IN CANADA (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver) so we don't lose the casual fans that were actually interested in the team since that win vs Honduras. 

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

November stadium situation in Canada is tough due to CFL playoffs. That likely removes Ott, Tor, Ham, Wpg, Edm, & Van from the potential venue list. Saputo? SkyDome? Mosaic ... er ... Crap. Right. The stitched in LINES!!!

We can't use our National Soccer Stadium in Toronto because of cfl play offs! WTF?

40 minutes ago, gator said:

We can't use our National Soccer Stadium in Toronto because of cfl play offs! WTF?

I wouldn't panic. Mainly because Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton aren't going to share home playoff dates, and neither will Vancouver, Edmonton or Winnipeg. One of the three venues will be available

26 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I wouldn't panic. Mainly because Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton aren't going to share home playoff dates, and neither will Vancouver, Edmonton or Winnipeg. One of the three venues will be available

But it's very difficult to plan that in advance. If you only know two or three weeks in advance for certain which venues are available when, how do you sell tickets, book flights, etc etc. 

Having said that, a midweek friendly might still be doable regardless of CFL playoffs. 

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

This was more of a wind up, as you know we have a several hundred page thread debating this! :D

19 minutes ago, gator said:

This was more of a wind up, as you know we have a several hundred page thread debating this! :D

Heh, although that's kinda awesome that if for any reason BMO or THF was occupied or disabled for any reason, you are a one hour drive and a strip and re-coat of paint from being able to play at the other.

But yeah, as Rob points out hard to manage the exact date and really, it's not the simple. There is a lot of permissions needed and scheduling for concession/security staff that needs doing.

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

Heh, although that's kinda awesome that if for any reason BMO or THF was occupied or disabled for any reason, you are a one hour drive and a strip and re-coat of paint from being able to play at the other.

But yeah, as Rob points out hard to manage the exact date and really, it's not the simple. There is a lot of permissions needed and scheduling for concession/security staff that needs doing.

Planning ahead for a game at THF shouldn't be that difficult. The Cats aren't at home the October window and November they would play on Saturday or Sunday. 

If you're looking for a team for a home friendly that would draw fans and will be a bit more free over the next few years, talk to Russia. They don't have to go through the qualifying.  It would likely draw more casual fans than some of the other teams, based on the whole Canada-Russia hockey rivalry.  They take an extended league break over the winter, so if they don't want to bring the full squad, a pretty good B team could probably be made up primarily of domestic players. While not cheap, I'm sure it wouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as more traditional "big name" countries/teams.

Rather than complain about the lack of friendlies during the summer or the choice of opponent, I think it might be worthwhile to recognize that this is a nice sign.  I was worried that the CSA was going to reevaluate the amount of money and effort they put into the men's program after crashing out of WCQ.  I don't think anyone who has followed this team for more than 4 or 5 years would've been surprised if both these international breaks went by without a game.

Now the Morocco game could've been scheduled before knowing the outcome of the September games, but the El Salvador game, if true, could only have been scheduled in the last couple weeks.  That shows commitment to the team, which is a good sign and hasn't always been the case.

For a group like us, that spends the majority of their time pointing out the faults of those in charge, might be worthwhile to step back and commend them when they do something right.

Do you really all think we are going to Morrocco on a Tuesday and that we'd be in the States the week before? 

I think the most logical set up is to train nearby, like in Algarve or Murcia in Spain, then fly over, an hour. And having said that, a friendly in the first dates as well would be nice. It is no point, IMO, to have a longer camp now, as we won't have a coach and the players don't need one for any reason at all.

A short camp could be reasonable, 4-5 days, then match.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

For a group like us, that spends the majority of their time pointing out the faults of those in charge, might be worthwhile to step back and commend them when they do something right.

But they never do anything right, we can't commend them lol

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Rather than complain about the lack of friendlies during the summer or the choice of opponent, I think it might be worthwhile to recognize that this is a nice sign.  I was worried that the CSA was going to reevaluate the amount of money and effort they put into the men's program after crashing out of WCQ.  I don't think anyone who has followed this team for more than 4 or 5 years would've been surprised if both these international breaks went by without a game.

I'm not sure anyone here is really complaining.  I think it's more a case of wanting to make things even better, while still appreciating what's already been set up.  You're right, I was worried that after the WCQ ended and the search for a new manager began that it would be a while before we saw the team play again.  That they've got games lined up so soon is great news.  But that doesn't mean we can't also start to ponder how to make things even better.

Archived