World Cup 2018 qualifying: El Salvador 'refuse bribe to fix match' - BBC

Mimglow

42 minutes ago, koolvid said:

Not if the money is coming from a lone millionaire not tied to the honduran federation. 

Think about it. Why would someone from El Salvador offer money to a team that is already eliminated.

Pretty clear he is betting on Honduras qualifying over Canada.

I wish I could remember better why this type of fix is a bigger deal than people think. Declan Hill talks about it in his book, The Fix, maybe someone else here read it and remembers better than I do. I think some of the points are, as others have pointed out, Canada could have also been approached to lose the game, or in this case Mexico may also be approached to throw the game. It's apparently quite common for fixers to be paying off players from both teams in a match. I think also another reason is that this type of fix is the gateway drug of fixing. It's a lot easier to convince a player to take money for playing hard, especially since they were likely already planning on doing that. But then the fixer/player relationship is created, and it can lead to eventually asking the player(s) to throw a match. That can of course come with threats of leaking info on previous bribes the player has taken, or of course threats of violence.

I am sure I am not doing it justice, but it is not something to just be ignored. I am not suggesting Honduras should pay any penalty of course, since we don't know about any Honduran officials involved.

17 minutes ago, koolvid said:

On the evidence at hand it only really reveals Ricardo Padilla is speaking for a Hunduran millionaire not much can be done with that either since it's probably not even illegal. FIFA would have little to no power on this. The government would probably have to get involved but in many countries/federations this is legal and it's call "Bonuses". 

I guess I see the situation quite differently.

- acting on behalf of a millionaire from a different country (which needs the result to advance) moves this well outside benevolence and firmly into match fixing

- this is further supported by the fact that part of the offer was to limit goals against at all costs - meaning this is not just "bonuses" to play hard - it is a financial incentive to achieve a specific outcome.

I honestly don't understand how this is a ho-hum issue for some people. A Honduran millionaire is allegedly trying to fix a match against us by bribing ES players.  If any kind of link could be established between him and their footy association, this would be pretty damn significant IMO.

2 hours ago, GimliJetsMan said:

There's no way they're stupid enough to leave a clear link back to the federation.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess I see the situation quite differently.

- acting on behalf of a millionaire from a different country (which needs the result to advance) moves this well outside benevolence and firmly into match fixing

- this is further supported by the fact that part of the offer was to limit goals against at all costs - meaning this is not just "bonuses" to play hard - it is a financial incentive to achieve a specific outcome.

I honestly don't understand how this is a ho-hum issue for some people. A Honduran millionaire is allegedly trying to fix a match against us by bribing ES players.  If any kind of link could be established between him and their footy association, this would be pretty damn significant IMO.

The lack of evidence is the issue. Allegedly it comes from an Honduran Millionaire that none of us know, and then linking him with the association is just unlikely. I can't imagine he would be stupid enough (he is a millionaire) to actually directly work for the federation. And even then he's encouraging them win and at most not lose by more than a goal. I'm not sure if it constitutes as match fixing over a bonus especially reading the original transcript in spanish it's clear he pushing them to a positive result in that context. If this is all true the Honduran millionaire didn't do anything illegal if he's providing the money himself and the players didn't accept the offer so they're clear as well. I doubt FIFA would step in with such little evidence for match fixing. Even I could do what that Honduran millionaire did (if he exist and the offer is legit). Going to need more details for this to become relevant because anyone can do this and FIFA won't bite on every little thing. And let me tell you in a sport like football/soccer it happens all the time, all over the world and it's places more relevant to the sports (Europe). This happened in Brazil if I'm not mistaken and the individual was found not guilty by the court of Brazil. I'll go look for the article.

2 hours ago, sting said:

Think about it. Why would someone from El Salvador offer money to a team that is already eliminated.

Pretty clear he is betting on Honduras qualifying over Canada.

The money is allegedly coming from an Honduran Millionaire.

2 hours ago, GimliJetsMan said:

There's no way they're stupid enough to leave a clear link back to the federation.

This, plus they took the precaution to use someone else to send this message. 

I wonder if Mexico is being investigated for taking a bribe from Honduras. It makes a lot more sense to give a bribe to tie a game then it does to win. Every team wants to win every games or at the very least not get embarrassed. So giving a bribe to El Salvador doesn't make much sense. It is surprising that Mexico didn't get a goal last night.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I wonder if Mexico is being investigated for taking a bribe from Honduras. It makes a lot more sense to give a bribe to tie a game then it does to win. Every team wants to win every games or at the very least not get embarrassed. So giving a bribe to El Salvador doesn't make much sense. It is surprising that Mexico didn't get a goal last night.

or 4

Archived