World Cup 2018 qualifying: El Salvador 'refuse bribe to fix match' - BBC

Mimglow

"Hill said the offer was allegedly made by an El Salvadorian who knew some of the players, but who wanted to aid the Honduras national team."

Okay i'm confused. Was this individual actually offering them money for them get a result? You'd think pride would be enough...

Psychologacially speaking giving a reward for a good behavior (winning) isn't a bribe it's positive reinforcement.. But I'm not sure if Honduras is trying to train El Salvador . That said I think if Canada can score one or two early goals El Salvador will be completely uninterested in the game and we could capitalize on that.

58 minutes ago, beachesl said:

As i read the article, it was a supposed bribe by someone supposedly wanting  to support Honduras; not to throw the game, but to win or not let Canada win. Hardly an effective bribe.  Weird.

More like a bonus, really.

However, it does make one wonder if Mexican players are also being approached.

22 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

More like a bonus, really.

However, it does make one wonder if Mexican players are also being approached.

I would think the price to bribe a Mexican player, who likely has a much higher salary for his club team and therefore won't be motivated by a low dollar bribe, would be much higher than the amount needed to bribe the players from El Salvador.

2 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

Agreed, it would have to be much higher.  But a loss doesn't require a whole team to be bribed.

If a single player throws the game for mexico he would probably be threatened with severe violence and banished from the national team. I don't think any monetary reward would outweigh the repercussions/ fallout. 

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

If a single player throws the game for mexico he would probably be threatened with severe violence and banished from the national team. I don't think any monetary reward would outweigh the repercussions/ fallout. 

The key to that is not getting caught.  Declan Hill wrote about how individual players (or two or three, either collaborating or operating independently) is all you need to disrupt a game.

32 minutes ago, GimliJetsMan said:

So the only rational thing is for CONCACAF to ban Honduras. Also they should ban Mexico, just in case ;)

Said in jest, but the reality is that recorded evidence of someone offering cash incentives to manipulate the outcome of footy matches in WCQ is actually pretty damn serious.  Yes, it is odd that they are being incentivized to play hard, but the issue (raised by someone else) of going into damage control mode if they go down by a single goal to avoid a heavier defeat definitely crosses any sort of grey area.  It also, as noted above, raises questions about offers to Mexico, even if funding those bribes would take this to a new economic level.  Bottom line, someone in ES (who supposedly hate Honduras) seems to be engaging in unethical/illegal activity that would directly benefit our opponents.  Throw in the odd nature of the bet, and there is pretty good reason to suspect that they may be acting as an agent for organized Honduran soccer interests.  This should raise large red flags among the higher-ups at CONCACAF and FIFA. 

I admit an obvious homer bias in thinking about this issue, but this is actually kind of a big deal.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Said in jest, but the reality is that recorded evidence of someone offering cash incentives to manipulate the outcome of footy matches in WCQ is actually pretty damn serious.  Yes, it is odd that they are being incentivized to play hard, but the issue (raised by someone else) of going into damage control mode if they go down by a single goal to avoid a heavier defeat definitely crosses any sort of grey area.  It also, as noted above, raises questions about offers to Mexico, even if funding those bribes would take this to a new economic level.  Bottom line, someone in ES (who supposedly hate Honduras) seems to be engaging in unethical/illegal activity that would directly benefit our opponents.  Throw in the odd nature of the bet, and there is pretty good reason to suspect that they may be acting as an agent for organized Honduran soccer interests.  This should raise large red flags among the higher-ups at CONCACAF and FIFA. 

I admit an obvious homer bias in thinking about this issue, but this is actually kind of a big deal.

In reality, I'd be more worried about match fixing in terms of betting. Wonder what the lines are for this game?

Well, normally these types of complications are unwelcome, but our situation is so desperate, anything like this is completely welcome. Anything to rock the boat, even if it does not amount to anything. If anything, though, it would probably motivate the El Salavador team. Chaos at least promises the spin of the dice.

11 minutes ago, beachesl said:

Well, normally these types of complications are unwelcome, but our situation is so desperate, anything like this is completely welcome. Anything to rock the boat, even if it does not amount to anything. If anything, though, it would probably motivate the El Salavador team. Chaos at least promises the spin of the dice.

Chaos is a ladder....

35 minutes ago, GimliJetsMan said:

In reality, I'd be more worried about match fixing in terms of betting. Wonder what the lines are for this game?

Since the news spread, Canada's being placed at about a quarter goal higher (even-ish odds for -1.5 compared to -1.25 yesterday).  The O/U has also moved a quarter goal from 2.5 to 2.75.  So nothing serious, but a bit more faith in Canada.

The bigger move is the other match, where it looks like there is actually quite a bit of money coming in on Honduras.  They've moved from +1.75 to almost an even +1, with the O/U falling from 2.5 to 2.25.

A 1-0 Mexico win of course wouldn't be the worst thing...

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not if the money is coming from a lone millionaire not tied to the honduran federation. 

1 hour ago, GimliJetsMan said:

it wouldn't surprise me if pinnacle limits wager size for this game 

Canada already charting new territory as a heavy favourite for the match

21 minutes ago, koolvid said:

Not if the money is coming from a lone millionaire not tied to the honduran federation. 

Yeah, but finding out if that is the case, or if this is a guy who is acting on behalf of someone else, is exactly what should be looked into.  In the context of a must-win WCQ match, I still maintain that this is a big deal.

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, but finding out if that is the case, or if this is a guy who is acting on behalf of someone else, is exactly what should be looked into.  In the context of a must-win WCQ match, I still maintain that this is a big deal.

On the evidence at hand it only really reveals Ricardo Padilla is speaking for a Hunduran millionaire not much can be done with that either since it's probably not even illegal. FIFA would have little to no power on this. The government would probably have to get involved but in many countries/federations this is legal and it's call "Bonuses". 

Archived