Floro Must Go

Joe Keeper

26 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I'm going to be blunt here. A new coach changes nothing. While we are a nation that is very well off, we are a third world country when it comes to footballing. Should we be surprised at today's result? No. Can we do better with what we have? Right now, no.

it's time to put our money where our mouths are and invest in the game at the grassroots level. Our MLS clubs are more American than Canadian. Our NASL clubs are haemorrhaging money with one having incredibly low fan support and another with not enough to break even, and neither look long for that league. No one shows up to support our USL, PDL, League1 Ontario or PLSQ clubs. Being a professional footballer is not achievable for most of those with the talent, and not an attractive career path for those who happen to get noticed.

Get out and support local. Until then, we can just hit F5 and refresh this thread 4 years from now.

Agreed and if we actually support the clubs then the advertising dollars will follow which in return will allow us to create professional development paths for coaches and players. We do need to look to hockey Canada and use some of their best practices and develop our coaches who then create  the players to move us to the next level

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Razcal said:

New coach every 3 years? Sounds like a great plan.

He has nothing to do with the level of talent we have on the team. Us Canadian fans love to pretend our players are of a much higher quality than they generally are.

Our players have the quality to beat El Salvador B and Belize

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Floro is not the the reason we lost today.  But yes, he must go.   He doesnt understand (and under estimates) the game or the culture on this side of of the pond. Overrate european experience when selecting his squad. Has poor understanding of the  professional structures in North america. 

Going back to even at the time of his hire, there were many red flags in mind even then.    For one, i didnt think his resume was impressive except for the fact it mentioned Real Madrid. 

I agree.  Robinson would be an excellent choice

Read the Whitecaps thread. Most on this site deplore his tactics and think he's in over his head. My friend @Unnamed Trialist would lose his sh_t if we hired Robinson. 

We want to cap tie anyone with Canadian roots for a reason. It's the same reason that a few games at a decent level gets every Canadian a call up to the men's NT. We're thrilled that 40 Canadians have played in MLS and NASL this year. How many Americans play at that level? How many Hondurans play at a decent level? We're nowhere near where people on this board imagine we are... 

We have a few decent players and absolutely no depth. It was always going to take great strategy, well executed, and a lot of luck to qualify. All have rightly been called into question. 

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Floro is not the the reason we lost today.  But yes, he must go.   He doesnt understand (and under estimates) the game or the culture on this side of of the pond. Overrate european experience when selecting his squad. Has poor understanding of the  professional structures in North america. 

Going back to even at the time of his hire, there were many red flags in mind even then.    For one, i didnt think his resume was impressive except for the fact it mentioned Real Madrid. 

I agree.  Robinson would be an excellent choice

If I may say so, you are being too kind to Floro.  The guy should have never been hired by Montagliani who I thought as CSA president would hire somebody far better.  The players are bored with him as he keeps repeating the same things as if players were school children.  In 4 years he has not improved us to speak off and he never will.  Floro is just milking the cow and don't think anybody is calling him to task.  Floro never had a job for more than 2 years and most of a long litany of jobs were just 1 year.  We now have given him his longest tenure and has done diddly.  Fire Floro right now and put his assistant Michael Findlay in charge in the meantime.  He is a coach!

10 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Remember when people were posting focus on 2022? This defeat hurts so much because we got farther than we thought we could four years ago. Having hope for this long was a pleasant surprise.

Sitting here in late 2012 if you would have said we would be in the exact same position in 2016 you would have been laughed off of the board. The fact that we were actually up until minute 47 in a do or die game in Honduras 4 years after getting spanked 8-1 is a major success, even if it was false hope. Hopefully 4 years from now we can hang on for the other 43.

Also, buy Sergio a beer on me if you see him in SPS.

Floro has to go just for the fact he kept playing Henry at right back even though game after game it was so obvious that Henry is not a right back, never was and never will be. Moreover, we are a country with such a small talent pool we don't have the luxury to leave out players that actually have a little bit of talent, it does not mean had certain players been included we would be in the Hex right now, but at least try and make use of the little talent we have instead of leaving them at home try to incorporate them in your roster . Floro is just a stubborn old coach who believed that his exaggerated defensive style of soccer would be the only way for Canada to advance, the sooner we get rid of him the better, losing is bad enough but losing with a guy that frustrates the hell out of you just makes losing even more agonizing, please just go already, and you really want this stubborn  guy to be the guy with his ancient defensive only soccer to lead this team until 2022 oh God no .

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

We want to cap tie anyone with Canadian roots for a reason. It's the same reason that a few games at a decent level gets every Canadian a call up to the men's NT. We're thrilled that 40 Canadians have played in MLS and NASL this year. How many Americans play at that level? How many Hondurans play at a decent level? We're nowhere near where people on this board imagine we are... 

We have a few decent players and absolutely no depth. It was always going to take great strategy, well executed, and a lot of luck to qualify. All have rightly been called into question. 

I believe Floro has made exactly this point - that we don't have enough players competing at a high level and that's why we have to resort to "tactics" to advance. 

8 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

I believe Floro has made exactly this point - that we don't have enough players competing at a high level and that's why we have to resort to "tactics" to advance. 

While I'm ranting...  Let's have another reality  check. MLS rules treating Canadians as foreign on US teams is a detriment, yes, but having an extra 4-6 Canadians on MLS teams a year is the the answer to our issues. Realistically, it's not going to be more than that number. 

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Read the Whitecaps thread. Most on this site deplore his tactics and think he's in over his head. My friend @Unnamed Trialist would lose his sh_t if we hired Robinson. 

Yes, but to be fair, Jeffrey loses his sh_t pretty easily.

(And while I do NOT feel Robbo is strong enough tactically, I DO feel he has a lot of other great managing qualities. Having said that, a national team manager MUST be excellent tactically.)

If we are talking about taking the next step in the next decade or 2 I think we need to focus on hiring a good technical director. Slightly off topic but I'm looking at Mexico and USA and they seem to be going through a good period of developing youth talents at the moment. Mexico producing several dangerous players in their early 20's and currently Americans seem to be looking at their golden generation in their teenagers all the way up to ages 21. Both will be looking to field different animals in the cycles to come. 

25 minutes ago, koolvid said:

If we are talking about taking the next step in the next decade or 2 I think we need to focus on hiring a good technical directer. Slightly off topic but I'm looking at Mexico and USA and they seem to be going through a good period of developing youth talents at the moment. Mexico producing several dangerous players in their early 20's and currently Americans seem to be looking at their golden generation in their teenagers all the way up to ages 21. Both will be looking to field different animals in the cycles to come. 

Yes, absolutely. Is Devos's new role something akin to this? Or is he the guy that will hire us a Technical Director? We need a 10 year technical development plan!!  Does the CSA have one?

10 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Yes, absolutely. Is Devos's new role something akin to this? Or is he the guy that will hire us a Technical Director? We need a 10 year technical development plan!!  Does the CSA have one?

For some reason his hiring completely went blank in my head. Probably cause I've already had a good amount of shots. I believe he's playing the role we are both talking about according to this passage on canadasoccer.com

" Canada Soccer is pleased to announce that Jason deVos will join the organization as Director of Development. In this newly created role, the former Men’s National Team and professional player will be responsible for the overall management, direction and development of coaching and grassroots development programs across Canada. "

So at least we're finally looking at doing some new and positive for once. What I want is someone who can lead our youth development teams in the right direction/play style to prepare them for the senior team. Along with changing cliches like focusing on the more physical/bigger young kids over the smaller/technical/better on the ball kids. An issue that sides like England have bee going through.

3 hours ago, Andrew W said:

The fact remains that the player pool is not good enough.

What's the board's opinion on "hot-housing" young players the way the States does for both hockey and for soccer (although someone would have to confirm they are still doing the Bradenton (sic) plan.)

Hot housing would only worlk if they players have something that comes out of it. Sadly, those options aren't available.

I'll add this to the Floro discussion:

1 Regarding: it's a surprise we made it to here given the 8-1 humiliation 4 years ago. Why???We were not that bad. We had 10 pts going into that last game and would've been through to the Hex had we capitalized on chances at home vs HON and won that game instead of draw. We tanked the SPS game only because we knew it was impossible coming back down 3-0 after 30mins and Hainault really had a terrible performance even my grandma could've beaten him.

2 We don't have the best players. Holger worked with less talent and won the Gold Cup, and got third place the next tournament.  Hart got us to the semis in 07 and Mitchell drew Mexico 2-2 in 08 WCQ in Edmonton.

3 We don't have the depth. What does that matter when you don't select players that are getting minutes on Canadian MLS clubs: Bekker, Bernier, Osario, Johnson, Aird, Tiebert, but rather go with guys that are back from injury and haven't played or play in second divisions or even third! And worse when you play guys out of position!

4 keeping shape, better tactics. He makes horrible subs. you got that right Maestro we sure mastered Benito's version of Tiki Taka called Turtle Turtle. Just sit around aimlessly in our own end and don't bother going up. Larin you just stand there and look good.  We don't even park the bus well. Seriously!!! We tied Mauritania and Moldova. We didn't score 1 goal in the last Gold Cup and we couldn't beat Belize or ESV B away! Hey we are not Argentina but we do have higher caliber players to beat those teams!!!

Who should replace him? Either one of our Cdn MLS coaches could've done better. Heck Biello actually went to Central America all the way to the CL final where Alajuelense stadium made SPS look like a cake walk. Hire Enzo Coccina he was the asst coach to Frank Klopas and later Biello last year when they made the run in CCL. Marc Dos Santos, guy has been coaching all over North and South America. Yes we need someone who knows the game in CONCACAF but also someone that can communicate with the team and have a modern perspective and both these guys have experience and are also Canadian. 

The truth is soccer although #1 played sport in the nation it's regarded as a pastime for the kids. It's not really yet about a culture where all these kids watch Messi, Ronaldo, Man U, Barca games week in and out. Second we don't have enough educated coaches. And third although we are fortunate to be a country with a diverse population with immigrants from all around the world how is it none of these youth that are diamonds having honed the ability and skill from their motherland never come to surface when they get older in our Cdn Soccer system? It's cause we are either racists or cause we are so obsessed about tactics like robots, and defense! Screw 1v1, dribbling, shooting, and all attacking facets. Kid you're too talented but you don't play system - sorry. 

19 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Thanks. The Whitecaps play pretty well as badly and with the same lack of a real sense of football as Canada under Floro.

I personally would hire a younger Spanish coach, I have said it before. I like Rubi who was at Girona then Valladolid. But since I have been silent these days I have to say I prefer to keep it that way, I am so down about the whole shebang  it is not even worth commenting.

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Remember when people were posting focus on 2022? This defeat hurts so much because we got farther than we thought we could four years ago. Having hope for this long was a pleasant surprise.

This is the biggest bunch of bullshit.

We got farther than we thought? really we have 4 fucking points, and you think thats far??

You didn't expect us to make the 3rd round of qualifying? didn't expect us to beat fucking Belize

Sorry, but come on.

Archived