Floro Must Go

Joe Keeper

7 hours ago, aloyol said:

Leading 1-0 wasn't a sign of a good defensive performance. It was all because of our keeper. 

"freak" in the sense that was totally against the run of play in a half where we had 25%  of possession. Yes, this was a freak lead. The fact we scored on a header by a central defender doesn't change that IMO.

Regarding your third paragraph. Like I said in another post, I'm not expecting us to dominate play in Honduras but I'm expecting us to be able to avoid giving 4-5 quality chances to our opponent in the first half of such a crucial game. I know some here are annoying with the "Floro played too defensive" arguments but what I'm saying is that we looked disorganized defensively.

Why don't you just come out and say you are really bothered by how Floro set back climate change in Canada, increased housing prices, screwed up our consumer protection policy and is solely responsible for listeria and other problems with packaged luncheon meats. 

I mean, why hold back? Once you go there you might as well go the whole way.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why don't you just come out and say you are really bothered by how Floro set back climate change in Canada, increased housing prices, screwed up our consumer protection policy and is solely responsible for listeria and other problems with packaged luncheon meats. 

I mean, why hold back? Once you go there you might as well go the whole way.

You really have trouble engaging in rational discussion.  Avro disrespects Canadian heritage. Aloyol apparently is responsible for every ill facing humanity.  I was being obtuse and naive about all things footy.

My mom once told me that if I had a problem with every one of my teachers, maybe the problem wasn't with my teachers.  Just something to think about as you lash out at everyone who has the gall to hold a different opinion. 

23 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

He used to post under the username "jeffrey". Jeffrey also had trouble engaging in ratonal debate. Then for some reason he suddenly started posting under "unnamed trialist" instead of "jeffrey", who had a bit of a reputation. No doubt we will see a third identity soon enough.

Putting on tin hat...

That was an extraordinary exercise in Voyageurs history, dsqpr, you identified both of my user names over a period of 16 years. I also think your capacity for psychological analysis of a name change to be extraordinary, I learned so much about myself;)

The truth is that for some reason when the board changed I could not recover my user name and went for one I had envied for literally years, since the original quote about the unnamed trialist was from when Nick Dasovic was at St Johnstone. A preseason in 2002 or 2001, our posts used to have those quotes at the bottom. 

I am sure you are going to spend the next four days in glee analyzing this, with all your multi-dimensional complexity, so enjoy. Anything to avoid actually arguing any points without being blindly biased and narrow-minded, which I have you pegged for, sorry about that. I dislike drooling unthinking England fan boys with bad syntax trolling on our Canada boards, It is my bias, I admit. 

Edit, I know you are probably fairly young, guessing from sentence structure, so you weren't around, but your post is mistaken, I was Jeffrey S. from the very start on the old Network 54 board, which I joined around the time of our draw vs. Mexico in November 2000 at Varsity. Get your frigging facts straight and please FO

1 hour ago, GimliJetsMan said:

So if we keep him, realistically we're hitching our train to the Floro Engine until, what, 2020, when we fail to hit the hex again?

But it's okay! he brought in a couple good players! Lets give him one more cycle after that!

I understand that the sudden surge in 'players with options' choosing Canada had little or nothing to do with Floro and more to do with several others with the CSA who are quietly labouring away behind the scenes. 

1 minute ago, rob.notenboom said:

I understand that the sudden surge in 'players with options' choosing Canada had little or nothing to do with Floro and more to do with several others with the CSA who are quietly labouring away behind the scenes. 

Which begs the question, why weren't they before?!? What are they doing differently?

15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Which begs the question, why weren't they before?!? What are they doing differently?

Investing time in recruiting them, explaining what they're all about, and their plans for CanSoc going forward. 

There's been a fair amount about this on our pod, but I'm reluctant to push it on here. But maybe it should be 'required Vs listening'. :)

Just now, rob.notenboom said:

Investing time in recruiting them, explaining what they're all about, and their plans for CanSoc going forward. 

There's been a fair amount about this on our pod, but I'm reluctant to push it on here. But maybe it should be 'required Vs listening'. :)

More podcast listening - less forum browsing. Got it. ;)

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

More podcast listening - less forum browsing. Got it. ;)

Rob Gale mentions many things they've done to recruit U20s in this pod (I think. It was a while ago). You can apply what they've done for U20s and U17s much more broadly. They are really investing time in these personal relationships and it's paying off. 

51 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I can't help but wonder how many of the people in the "Floro out" camp were also in the "Hart out" camp 4 years ago. And do they now, in retrospect, think Floro was an improvement? This is the problem.

Agree! Hart had to go after 8-1 though just as JFH should go after 0-6 but that's another discussion for another time! :)

Given the good things people are saying about him, it seems like he should be contracted as some sort of advisor.  If the players are being honest that he was actually teaching them about real football (which seems odd for seasoned pro's playing in very well respected leagues), then knowledge of that philosophy needs to be incorporated in the Canadian system - not appended to the CMNT as an afterthought.  One of the things people use in Floro's defense is that he can't be expected to work miracles during a few friendlies and some training camps.  For point.  But if that is the case, then citing his coaching acumen seems like an odd way to counter the critics. 

Either he had the time to coach us into a more effective team (which doesn't appear to be the case) or he didn't have the time to coach us into a more effective team (which makes me wonder why we would hire someone for their footy philosophy - that can't be imposed).

If he actually does bring something substantial to the table (which I haven't seen, but I will obviously defer to JDG on this one), then it seems like there are better places to utilize it within the Canadian soccer system.  pre-WC matches should not be the pace where veteran players are learning to play 'real football'.  Hell, maybe we could graft his philosophy on DeVos's passion and mandate re development.

On 2016-09-13 at 10:38 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

That was an extraordinary exercise in Voyageurs history, dsqpr, you identified both of my user names over a period of 16 years...

I'm looking forward to having another beer with you at the Taphouse sometime. :)

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I can't help but wonder how many of the people in the "Floro out" camp were also in the "Hart out" camp 4 years ago. And do they now, in retrospect, think Floro was an improvement? This is the problem.

I think that's sort of the million dollar question that the CSA brass had to determine with the program going forward.  Was the program trending upward under the Spaniard or had it flat lined or regressed?  I won't debate player selections but I can imagine some of those individuals making the final decision based it upon whether or not the best players (in their opinions) were selected.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Not me.  Mind you i didnt think Hart should stay either. I would have been ok with either decsion regarding Hart.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If the players are being honest that he was actually teaching them about real football (which seems odd for seasoned pro's playing in very well respected leagues), then knowledge of that philosophy needs to be incorporated in the Canadian system - not appended to the CMNT as an afterthought

It does seem strange to hear players say that.  Especially players with more than ten or fifteen years of playing experince overseas.   Perhaps its nothing more than a case of staying in the coaches good book.  

Regarding philosophy,. I would love to know what that philosphy was that Floro had.  Floro didnt invent the concept of playing a stout defensive game.  And,  If he did have some unique insight he never communicated it.  Dont think we have ever had a coach who said so little publically. I heard the quotes, that said that they learned things about the game that they never knew.  But no one has ever elaborated. 

Spain has very reputable side internationally. And perhaps the best clubs in world.  And, they produce great talent.  But it wasnt because of Floro. Nor, is there a unique insight that only spaniard can possess which makes them so successful.   There are no secrets anymore in this game.  The world is smaller through mass media and technology and we have read heard and seen countless interviews and quotes on the game all the time  from around the globe. 

I suspect that if we were to surprisingly find out that Floro was from, say, New Zealand or the US, or Trinidad and Tobago, we would not be taking seriously this notion that he had some uniques insights and philosphies on the game.  

Clarification: i believe that there are some unique approaches and philosphies unique to country and culture. But thats mostly observable in the areas of youth player development.  Not at the national team. 

Archived