Canada vs Honduras - In game thread

hamiltonfan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Tuesday everything has to go right for Canada to move on... Mexico has to win real big against Honduras and the fact they're qualified already we might see a weaker team play on Tuesday. Canada has got to score lots of goals against El Salvador, but I don't know if they will achieve it. Anyways Tuesday Can wins 4-0 and hopefully Mex wins 4-0 as well this gets us through a big big ask overall.... 

And that was that. 

I get the heat but we are so defensively minded we might as well not pick Larin for matches. The end attacks summed it up. The Honduras marking our wingers were already prepared for our predictable turn and lay the ball back rather than take players on or try a cross.

Praying for a miracle. And that is more aimed at us scoring a goal on Tuesday. Let's hope we win lots of free kicks and corners and get lucky the el Salvador defence has an sleepy days. 

My prediction Mexico and Honduras draw and so do we.

Floro has to go if we don't make it. I know he has been dealt a bad card with the talent pool but we just haven't improved enough. Honduras were there for the taking in the first half imo.

3 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Well Tuesday everything has to go right for Canada to move on... Mexico has to win real big against Honduras and the fact they're qualified already we might see a weaker team play on Tuesday. Canada has got to score lots of goals against El Salvador, but I don't know if they will achieve it. Anyways Tuesday Can wins 4-0 and hopefully Mex wins 4-0 as well this gets us through a big big ask overall.... 

Need a 3-0.. 3-0 average don't we? Either way...it's not happening.

Awful from Canada. 2-1 flattered them. With any luck it could have been 4 or 5-1. And 24% possession in the first half? Very poor.

We needed a result from this game, and with his last two substitutions Floro inserts Ledgerwood and Straith. Didn't improve us defensively, and gave us no chance in hell of scoring to tie it.

Other thoughts:

Hoilett was awful... should have been out at 55mins. Why take Akindele out over him??

Ledgerwood should have been our starting RB. Henry with a poor game. Johnson should have been in the squad over Henry.

Hutch was good, but really had nothing to work with. Poor guy.

Borjan our best player. Shocking distribution, but he's a great shot stopper.

And the TSN commentators were so tame! They must be on the CSA payroll lol.

Let's just say Honduras loses by 2 goals in Mexico (if we are lucky). Canada must beat El Salvador by 4 goals. With the squad Floro called, there is no chance we are beating ES by 4 goals. Hopefully our next manager shows some endevour and has a bit more ambition. Very disappointing. 

Hoilett would have came off if James wasn't injured. 

I'm still mind boggled that we gave up a counter attacking goal, away in Honduras, not off a set piece but the run of play. 

Disgusting.

Even if you don't agree with Floro or his tactics. Disgraceful to watch when the D can't even hold a basic formation. 

I knew the D would always be a problem. but man, WOW.  

What a joke. 

Floro has a bit of Klinsmann in him from what I have read... couldn't watch the game here in NY....

It is disappointing but Canada is still in it and its about scoring goals and hope Mexico does it business at home. I do not think losing or having a tie would please their fans so Canada better get real aggressive Tuesday.

It's over once again, it's incredible that 1986 was the last time and only time we qualified I was 22 back then I'm 52 now , man that is a long time. It's too bad we were put in a group with Mexico because that's 6 points lost automatically before a ball is kicked, any other country but Mexico and Canada has a better chance of making the Hex, but with Mexico in your group it just makes things so much harder. It get's tougher to take each qualifying cycle we fail to qualifying especially as one gets older and time slowly runs out to see your country make it, it sucks , weekend starts on a bummer , pretty depressing shit, why could I not be like your average Canadian and not give two shits about soccer and the national team and be happy with my hockey and Jays , but I have to be part of the minority in this country who eats sleeps this crazy game and follows the national soccer team and then every four years feel this devestation once again that there will be no Canada at the only tournament that matters to you?.

7 minutes ago, 1996 said:

It's over once again, it's incredible that 1986 was the last time and only time we qualified I was 22 back then I'm 52 now , man that is a long time. It's too bad we were put in a group with Mexico because that's 6 points lost automatically before a ball is kicked, any other country but Mexico and Canada has a better chance of making the Hex, but with Mexico in your group it just makes things so much harder. It get's tougher to take each qualifying cycle we fail to qualifying especially as one gets older and time slowly runs out to see your country make it, it sucks , weekend starts on a bummer , pretty depressing shit, why could I not be like your average Canadian and not give two shits about soccer and the national team and be happy with my hockey and Jays , but I have to be part of the minority in this country who eats sleeps this crazy game and follows the national soccer team and then every four years feel this devestation once again that there will be no Canada at the only tournament that matters to you?.

Well at least you got to see them in the WC... I was 2 years old and most likely not paying attention to the game. Oh heck I wasn't even 2 yet birthday is in November damn

12 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Mexico very well knows that a multiple goal win could eliminate honduras. Don't you think they'd want them out in favour of canada vs whom they are guaranteed 6 points in the hex? I think mexico is gonna go for the jugular on tuesday.

Mexico didn't call their best squad for this round of games. They know they are through. They have 4 players with ZERO caps and another with ONE. If they beat Honduras by 2 goals I'd be happy. Probably isn't enough though.

Having gone through this for 16-20 years now I'm somewhat at peace with that result,  the fact we only lost 2-1 was nothing short of a miracle.  We're honestly the 8-9th best team in Concacaf so not making the Hex can't come as too much of a shock.  The real kicker in this campaign was playing El Salvador 0-0 when they had a C squad.

I posted this in the other thread but if the following happens we can still get through (I know it's unlikely but I'm going to stay positive until it's really over):

Mexico 1 - 0 Honduras

Canada 4 - 0 El Salvador

9d875506add7fa10dd453c27955c8b05fbe1f79d

Archived