Jason de Vos named CSA Director of Development

shermanator

5 hours ago, Coramoor said:

Have to agree with this one, plus Michalik has a far more annoying accent to listen to.

Michalik provides better than average analysis and doesn't shy from being critical of the hometown boys which is a rarity in North American sports tv since the network and the leagues are in bed together.

But KJ brings us something - formation geek from his Score tv days - that other analysts can't do or won't do and is badly needed in Canada since our development system is tactically naive. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-08-30 at 0:36 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

I have been preaching for years (and thought of it again yesterday) that we need a long term made in Canada solution for the men.

The longer we keep parachuting people in will always keep us one step behind. We have to find our own solutions specific to the resources we have.

I think Jason deVos just said the above in the Jeff Blair interview

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎31 at 5:39 PM, red card said:

Michalik provides better than average analysis and doesn't shy from being critical of the hometown boys which is a rarity in North American sports tv since the network and the leagues are in bed together.

But KJ brings us something - formation geek from his Score tv days - that other analysts can't do or won't do and is badly needed in Canada since our development system is tactically naive. 

I may be irrational but every time I hear his analysis I want to throw something at my TV. 

22 hours ago, The Ref said:

Floro is more of a teacher than a coach.  His players are beginning to get bored.  His post in Canada is the longest he has been coaching a team.

You don't truly know something until it bores you from repetition. I see that as a good thing, if they aren't learning much in training that means the formation is solid already 

Jason DeVos stuck to his guns about what was right in an Ontario context when OPDL and L1O didn't live up to the soccer association rhetoric, so the CSA know they are not hiring a yes man simply looking to cash in on his high media profile. My only question would be whether he has any real influence in this role given the national association is two layers of bureacracy away from the grassroots and each province tends to do its own thing.

55 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Jason DeVos stuck to his guns about what was right in an Ontario context when OPDL and L1O didn't live up to the soccer association rhetoric, so the CSA know they are not hiring a yes man simply looking to cash in on his high media profile. My only question would be whether he has any real influence in this role given the national association is two layers of bureacracy away from the grassroots and each province tends to do its own thing.

Even in bureaucracies, influence is often what you make it.  If he makes the right relationships and actively pushes the right ideas, he can make a difference. 

And yeah, I doubt anyone thinks of deVos as a yes man :)

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Even in bureaucracies, influence is often what you make it.  If he makes the right relationships and actively pushes the right ideas, he can make a difference. 

And yeah, I doubt anyone thinks of deVos as a yes man :)

Of course, dealing with the system also means dealing with those that you wouldn't touch with a 50 ft poll.

That means he has to leave his positive views of MLS behind and actually work with those that don't share such a reality.

I'd be interested in hearing DeVos answer this. His new role is hugely important and vital for future success, but if the pro game doesn't grow and stays at just 5 pro clubs in American leagues, does he think it is possible for him to achieve his goal of qualifying for World Cups regularly?

Personally I think he can move the needle but there are so many other things that also need to fall into place. Chief among them is more L1O type leagues across the country, and more pro teams, ideally in the form of the CPL. Without those I think he will be hamstrung.

34 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'd be interested in hearing DeVos answer this. His new role is hugely important and vital for future success, but if the pro game doesn't grow and stays at just 5 pro clubs in American leagues, does he think it is possible for him to achieve his goal of qualifying for World Cups regularly?

Yes, I think it is possible. I mean, our women's teams have very limited options right now too, but they still perform. Many of the other teams in CONCACAF also have limited professional options. I was trying to find some data, but for example, the El Salvadorian league is part-time.

17 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Yes, I think it is possible. I mean, our women's teams have very limited options right now too, but they still perform. Many of the other teams in CONCACAF also have limited professional options. I was trying to find some data, but for example, the El Salvadorian league is part-time.

Not in any way trying to disparage the women's program - which has outperformed our men's program by every metric when the ladies are measured against their peers - but I think the competitive environments are still so different that it is hard to draw meaningful conclusions from the success of the women's program.  We were a respectable (women's) footy nation long before we had accelerator programs etc., and that is in the complete absence of a pro league in this country.  Conversely, our men now have access to 3 MLS domestic teams (plus NASL and USL), and still struggle to get results. 

Yes, that's basically my point. Although the amount of professional clubs will help, Jason's role can significantly assist us in making World Cups, irrespective of the amount of professional teams we have.

If we had EXCEL centers across the country and had our best playing our best regularly inside EXCEL centers, that can be as advantageous as having a CPL.

I still wish the CSA would consider having like a month long training camp in Honduras to help acclimatize the team for San Pedro Sula. I know that would also mean those players could not be professional. But maybe that is the solution, start having a national team that runs itself like a club side, paying players to train. 

The thing about women's soccer is that it was not long ago that it was essentially an amateur sport, and I think (but don't actually know) that it probably is still an amateur sport in most of the world. So it's easier for a team to flourish without the infrastructure needed in the men's game.

Full points to our women of course, they are getting it done on the field, but I imagine if the pro women's soccer game doesn't develop here but it does everywhere else, we will fall behind.

On 8/30/2016 at 0:43 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's hardly fair.  I would say a coach has influence in picking a cohesive team and as for the opponents that's hardly his fault.  The Duz got results when others haven't, it is what it is.

So wait - it's not Lenarduzzi's fault that he faced weaker opponents with a player pool that, as the latest remnants of the CSL, were less flung across the globe, had less invested in their pro careers, and more familiar with him and each other having played with/against each other in a tiny domestic league of middling quality at the time, and that were, in an era before the rise of Central American nations, before the MLS, before the Caribbean countries started capping Europeans, were comparatively less outclassed by their CONCACAF peers as our guys are today?

Come on Joe.

The Lenarduzzi/Bunbury/et al days were my favourite time to be a Nats follower, but lets not mythologize what a flop his teams were. We truly were one of the top teams in the region!  Now we're possibly not even top ten.  The only coach that has made our team better was Holger, but he overplayed his hand and peaked way too early meaning that his influenced was shortlived.  In hindsight, Holger is probably one cycle coach.  

I'm not sure DeVos is the guy to be a development head honcho, but ultimately depends on what the purpose of his role is.  He may be just well known enough and just enough of a pain in the ass to shake things up.  The question is, does he know where he wants things to fall once they've landed and is that vision workable within the context of a federated development model?  

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:33 PM, Marc said:

The only coach that has made our team better was Holger, but he overplayed his hand and peaked way too early meaning that his influenced was shortlived.  In hindsight, Holger is probably one cycle coach. 

Not unlike Floro with Borjan in this qualifying round, Osieck got some big time goalkeeping in those Gold Cup runs.  Osieck did some really good stuff (the come from behind GC 2000 QF victory over Mexico was a really good tactical game where they kept their discipline and cashed in on chances was excellent) but the WCQ campaign was quite disappointing, starting with that loss in Edmonton to T & T.  I think we only scored one goal in six matches in that entire round.

So what is Tony Fonseca's exact job description now? 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If that's Jim Magilton on the right, there's probably an Ipswich Town old boys network involved.

Good call. I've never heard of him, but I googled him and it looks like the same guy. Wikipedia also says this "James "Jim" Magilton is a Northern Irish former footballer and manager, who is the elite performance director with the Irish Football Association, and manager of the Northern Ireland national under-21 football team."

No problem to get your coaching license anywhere you can, it is a formality you have to go through. Ireland is as good as anywhere else, IMO. 

What is more important is experience, and De Vos, in his current role, gets no experience coaching. I understand he has opted for a solid salary over a learning curve to take him into coaching, but still, he really should be looking to be an assistant somewhere for a couple years. Development is not something he is particularly experienced in either, so it is odd for him to start at our "top" job.

What is player development anyways? Asking the pro and semi-pro clubs please pretty please?

Archived