Jason de Vos named CSA Director of Development

shermanator

28 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Devos is a big guy, but are his shoulders big enough to muscle through the politics of each provincial body? I hope we don't read about him resigning from said position 6 months down the road due to a lack of support or his frustration with the Canadian soccer system.

I think he's going in with his eyes wide open, or he should after all the things he's said over the years.  I'd say he's up to the task and the fight if need be.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Marc said:

The Duz had the most cohesive MNT with the weakest CONCACAF opponents.  Nothing against him but his "success" ain't his.

That's hardly fair.  I would say a coach has influence in picking a cohesive team and as for the opponents that's hardly his fault.  The Duz got results when others haven't, it is what it is.

37 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's hardly fair.  I would say a coach has influence in picking a cohesive team and as for the opponents that's hardly his fault.  The Duz got results when others haven't, it is what it is.

I agree with the team part but to be fair our 1998 group stage opponents were quite weak. Cuba, El Salvador and Panama (who weren't that good at the time).

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The timing on this is terrible. They should have waited until Sept 7th. This way if we don't make the Hex they can show major change right off the bat. If we do make the Hex they could say "we are taking the next step". Goods news but a good spin doctor would have told them to wait a week.

On the flip side, if they announce it on the 7th, and we have just crashed out of qualifying, it might look like a panic hire. I don't mind the timing at all. If it gets any amount of mainstream attention (which I doubt) then that would be a nice little bonus for marketing the upcoming qualifiers too by way of them being mentioned in the same story. I'm sure that part would be pretty insignificant though.

Anyways, I like the hiring. I hope he is supported by the provinces.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

If it gets any amount of mainstream attention (which I doubt) then that would be a nice little bonus for marketing the upcoming qualifiers too by way of them being mentioned in the same story.

Well, it turns out the news is getting spread around pretty well. CBC, TSN, Sportsnet. Of course it's all the same Canadian Press article, and this is all they mention about the qualifiers. "Canada is in the midst of attempting to advance to the next round of World Cup qualifying with a pivotal game set for later this week in Honduras. The men have not made the World Cup since 1987, their only appearance in the premiere event."

Ah yes, "later this week". Can't take the time to look up when the next game is, well done. And of course, who could forget that magical 1987 World Cup, in Mecksico if I recall correctly.

I was wondering why Jason wasn't there for TFC/Impact match but now we know.

Given what Jason has said about player development in Canada, I like the pick. 

We need something that Herdman has done on women's side - set up long lasting infrastructure from u15 onwards, having a unified technical tactical approach across age levels, selecting players that can play this way rather than what the youth clubs & provinces may think and give them the opportunity regardless of age.

14 hours ago, king1010 said:

will he still be on TSN?

pretty sure the first thing he's going to teach is to not do what the canMNT coach does when defending free kicks. ie. low line on the 6 yard line

Exactly, that is how you develop players: teach them to ignore tactical details of their coaches. Great stuff, you are on the right track king1010.

First, have to say I admire him, find him a very good communicator and enjoy listening to him call MLS games. Few guys I have heard in feeds over the league are as good. Most are terrible in comparison. 

He also seems to be balanced and level-headed.

That said, what does a director of player development do at a national federation? Not too much. You cannot control what the clubs and academies do, and if you think encouraging models is enough, then you are wasting your time. The CSA can only do so much, they are dependent on other factors (MLS clubs) and, frankly, the best of them are going to do their own thing regardless.

YOu already have your youth programs, and those coaches are assigned and in charge of their groups, De Vos would have a say in hiring them, for sure, and firing, working with Floro, but he is not coaching the groups he cant decide who to play. What does he do then? Oversee? Work to set up training models used across the board? Even this is dangerous, standardizing and imposing models at high level youth play is tricky, since what you want is to find out if a certain coach is particularly talented or worth watching. It is better to have diversity of models in Canada, to see which ones work. Imposing one means losing coaches specific skills and not knowing who is at fault when things don't work.

So what else can you do?

You can  be the one working hard to set up a national network of high performance leagues for girls and boys youth. So we begin to get comparable levels province to province. And push for a national championship of worth.

You can impose coaching standard minimums or at least get all the provincial assocs on the same page, especially for your rep and HP leagues. There is still too much amateur and parent coaching in Canada. Actually, it is perfectly reasonable to ask anyone coaching any level of sanctioned soccer to have a minimum training as a coach, even if we are talking about a 16 hr course.

You can oversee the existing youth coaches of national teams. You can work to see them better trained, at a higher level professionally and in terms of football knowledge.

You can find funding so that the sport is not only played by kids who can afford it. Yes, I am suggesting giving grants to kids who cannot afford the best HP option near where they live.

After this, as I see it, you are simply going to sit around fretting about all the things  you cannot intervene on.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, have to say I admire him, find him a very good communicator and enjoy listening to him call MLS games. Few guys I have heard in feeds over the league are as good. Most are terrible in comparison. 

He also seems to be balanced and level-headed.

That said, what does a director of player development do at a national federation? Not too much. You cannot control what the clubs and academies do, and if you think encouraging models is enough, then you are wasting your time. The CSA can only do so much, they are dependent on other factors (MLS clubs) and, frankly, the best of them are going to do their own thing regardless.

YOu already have your youth programs, and those coaches are assigned and in charge of their groups, De Vos would have a say in hiring them, for sure, and firing, working with Floro, but he is not coaching the groups he cant decide who to play. What does he do then? Oversee? Work to set up training models used across the board? Even this is dangerous, standardizing and imposing models at high level youth play is tricky, since what you want is to find out if a certain coach is particularly talented or worth watching. It is better to have diversity of models in Canada, to see which ones work. Imposing one means losing coaches specific skills and not knowing who is at fault when things don't work.

So what else can you do?

You can  be the one working hard to set up a national network of high performance leagues for girls and boys youth. So we begin to get comparable levels province to province. And push for a national championship of worth.

You can impose coaching standard minimums or at least get all the provincial assocs on the same page, especially for your rep and HP leagues. There is still too much amateur and parent coaching in Canada. Actually, it is perfectly reasonable to ask anyone coaching any level of sanctioned soccer to have a minimum training as a coach, even if we are talking about a 16 hr course.

You can oversee the existing youth coaches of national teams. You can work to see them better trained, at a higher level professionally and in terms of football knowledge.

You can find funding so that the sport is not only played by kids who can afford it. Yes, I am suggesting giving grants to kids who cannot afford the best HP option near where they live.

After this, as I see it, you are simply going to sit around fretting about all the things  you cannot intervene on.

To be fair, implementing the kinds of things you mention, then maintaining adequate oversight of those initiatives, while course-correcting when appropriate IS pretty much a full time gig for quite a while.  

Let's face it, it is a bureaucratic position where you do your heavy lifting in meetings and board rooms - not in the 18 yard box.  And since he isn't going to work in the salt mines, I would be very happy if he got to "sit around" after successfully completing the tasks you mentioned.

On 8/30/2016 at 0:10 PM, Macksam said:

Devos is a big guy, but are his shoulders big enough to muscle through the politics of each provincial body? I hope we don't read about him resigning from said position 6 months down the road due to a lack of support or his frustration with the Canadian soccer system. 

I love how skeptical this boards has become over the last few years. If this was announced in 2008/09, everybody here including myself would be celebrating. However, now we want to see the outcome a few years down the road before getting excited. 

Wisdom takes time...without a cognitive written plan sent to every coach in the country within six months his tenure will be a failure, get your women in a room, fire up a laptop and write the plan out, system(s) of play, specific player duty in each variant system, how to coach each system, linked specific on ball skills to play the system and how to teach the skill , all in written guide, then do the video showing how to do it...

There will be intangibles, all great players have them, bit such an approach will raise the bottom quality of player talent and that will push the diamonds to get better.

No on field demos by DeVos, his job is in an office and boardrooms, not teaching coaches...create the plan/ book get it to everyone, test on its contents to get your coaching levels, then let mentor coaches teach running a practice and sideline coaching based on the plan.

( Note to Rob and Shorty would changing "women" to "men and women" or "men" work better for you? Perhaps the best folks he could draw together are women coaches and technical directors ...or are you in the it has to be only male staff who can do it? )

18 hours ago, red card said:

I was wondering why Jason wasn't there for TFC/Impact match but now we know.

Given what Jason has said about player development in Canada, I like the pick. 

We need something that Herdman has done on women's side - set up long lasting infrastructure from u15 onwards, having a unified technical tactical approach across age levels, selecting players that can play this way rather than what the youth clubs & provinces may think and give them the opportunity regardless of age.

Has Herdman sent out what he wants to all coaches in Canada?

16 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

It was either take this job or continue working with KJ, if you asked he may have taken a role moderating this site.  :) 

I may be in the minority, but I love what KJ brings to Canadian footy commentary.  I can't think of anyone else who communicates tactics and formation info in the way that he does. No idea what he is like as a coworker, but I really enjoyed the combo of soccer intelligence and experience that he and de Vos provided.

35 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I may be in the minority, but I love what KJ brings to Canadian footy commentary.  I can't think of anyone else who communicates tactics and formation info in the way that he does. No idea what he is like as a coworker, but I really enjoyed the combo of soccer intelligence and experience that he and de Vos provided.

Besides his rant on the English national team and prem being overrated (which anyone with half a brain knows so he gets no points really from that), KJ hasn't said anything really memorable IMO. It was funny seeing him and Janusz Michallik constantly cut each other off during the EURO broadcasts. Janusz always provides better insight and KJ probably felt threatened.

24 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Besides his rant on the English national team and prem being overrated (which anyone with half a brain knows so he gets no points really from that), KJ hasn't said anything really memorable IMO. It was funny seeing him and Janusz Michallik constantly cut each other off during the EURO broadcasts. Janusz always provides better insight and KJ probably felt threatened.

Personally, I much prefer Jack to Michalik. Michalik has decent insight, but he constantly rambles on and on and on with every point he makes. In his case, saying less is saying more.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Personally, I much prefer Jack to Michalik. Michalik has decent insight, but he constantly rambles on and on and on with every point he makes. In his case, saying less is saying more.

Have to agree with this one, plus Michalik has a far more annoying accent to listen to.

Archived