Jason de Vos named CSA Director of Development

shermanator

Link: http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-invests-in-technical-leadership-with-announcement-of-new-director-of-development-p159856

Canada Soccer is pleased to announce that Jason deVos will join the organization as Director of Development. In this newly created role, the former Men’s National Team and professional player will be responsible for the overall management, direction and development of coaching and grassroots development programs across Canada.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have agreed with much of what he says in terms of LTPD via twitter.  I look forward to seeing how he starts, and what sort of plan comes into play in a year or so.  It will be neat to see as I have a 5 and 3 yr old just stating out.

Hopefully he is someone that all provinces and territories can get behind and move in the right direction.

Noticed him on the field following the women's games in Rio and it didn't seem to be in the role of unbiased reporter. Well I hope he is able to implement what he has been preaching. I have been preaching for years (and thought of it again yesterday) that we need a long term made in Canada solution for the men.

The longer we keep parachuting in the Floros et al and them bringing in their auld country strategies, will always keep us one step behind. We have to find our own solutions specific to the resources we have.

3 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

The longer we keep parachuting in the Floros et al and them bringing in their auld country strategies, will always keep us one step behind. We have to find our own solutions specific to the resources we have.

I couldn't possibly disagree more.

He's always been passionate about reforming the youth/developmental issues plaguing Canada.  It's a good hire.  Now hopefully he and the CSA can work around the provincial groups hurdles I've read about when the issue has come up

16 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

What if by chance Floro's "auld country strategies" get us into The Hex, are we going to say he was the wrong hire? I agree with having a made in Canada solution for development moving forward and I think JDV is a good hire, I'm not sure there is a Canadian who is qualified and experienced enough to coach the National Team at this time!

This is a fantastic hire. De Vos has always been critical of the way development has been done in Canada, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to change how things are done.

He, along with people like Tommy Wheeldon and Jeff Paulus (only naming them because I am familiar with them) need to be front and centre in leading development in this country in the future.

13 minutes ago, gator said:

What if by chance Floro's "auld country strategies" get us into The Hex, are we going to say he was the wrong hire?

What is the point if it is not sustainable and forgotten when he leaves, like Osieck.. By circumstance and luck we could make the hex or WC like Waiters did but was there a formula that stayed?

Devos is a big guy, but are his shoulders big enough to muscle through the politics of each provincial body? I hope we don't read about him resigning from said position 6 months down the road due to a lack of support or his frustration with the Canadian soccer system. 

I love how skeptical this boards has become over the last few years. If this was announced in 2008/09, everybody here including myself would be celebrating. However, now we want to see the outcome a few years down the road before getting excited. 

41 minutes ago, shermanator said:

He, along with people like Tommy Wheeldon and Jeff Paulus (only naming them because I am familiar with them) need to be front and centre in leading development in this country in the future.

I wonder if Bjorn Osieck is on this radar, I was impressed with his knowledge when he was in Saskatchewan.  He's in Ontario now, I believe, in a fairly influential position.

26 minutes ago, rightback said:

I remember thinking that was despite The Duz. I liked him as a player, not so much as a coach. Point taken but I prefer something on the resume.

The Duz had the most cohesive MNT with the weakest CONCACAF opponents.  Nothing against him but his "success" ain't his.

Archived