Thanks for the link.  I watched the game last night and was really impressed by the pace of it.  Everyone was playing hard right to the last minute, so the players were exceptionally fit.  UNC reminded me of The Courage, right down to the uniforms.  I wonder if there are significant ties between the two organizations?

I didn't like the referee's interpretation that all you had to do was touch the ball first and anything that happened after was a-ok.  There were a lot of reckless challenges, and I must have seen Fleming do about three or four somersaults after having her legs cut out.

I didn't watch the game, but judging by the highlights, it looks like Gabby Carle played an important role in the FSU win over Stanford in the NCAA semifinal game.  She scored a goal on a great individual effort, cutting in from the sideline to the top middle of the penalty area before unleashing a good shot.  She had to beat quite a few defenders before getting the opening for her shot.  She also appeared to be marking Stanford's Macario, one of the best goal scorers in the NCAA.  Here are the highlights I watched: ncaa site.

So, we'll have one Canadian to root for in the final game.

• 11 months later...

With iatv no longer supplying feeds, and almost no UCLA women's games showing up on youtube anymore, I didn't watch much of Fleming and Faulknor this season.  The team has made it to the NCAA tournament and won their first game against Lamar (4-1).  According to the box scores, Faulknor hasn't been on the roster since the Oct. 31 game against Oregon.  It would be nice to know why.

I hope the team makes it far into the tournament, but without seeing the games, there isn't much I can comment on.  Too bad Forgedias doesn't post his detailed desciptions here anymore.

Edited by rkomar

UCLA whoops reigning champs FSU 4-0 to advance to the final four.  Gabby Carle got undressed for the second goal, but when you lose 4-0, you don't have to wear the goat horns for a single play.

Three of the four final teams are from the PAC-12 conference.  It looks like the strong inter-conference competition is forging better teams there.  I'm keen to find out how well UCLA does against Stanford in the next game.  If they win, they will likely go up against North Carolina.  Those are two top-notch teams for Fleming to test herself against.

UCLA were bested by Stanford 4-1 in the tournament semifinals.  Judging by the box score, they were out-shot by a wide margin.  Too bad for Fleming and the Bruins, but no NCAA championship title for her.  It will be interesting to see what comes next for her.  She seems to be excelling academically, and I wonder if her sports career will have to mesh with her engineering career over the next while?

8 hours ago, rkomar said:

UCLA were bested by Stanford 4-1 in the tournament semifinals.  Judging by the box score, they were out-shot by a wide margin.  Too bad for Fleming and the Bruins, but no NCAA championship title for her.  It will be interesting to see what comes next for her.  She seems to be excelling academically, and I wonder if her sports career will have to mesh with her engineering career over the next while?

Could be a female Akindele?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 6:20 AM, nolando said:

I see that neither Lawrence (the 2019 CSA female player of the year and not ranked last year, either) nor Buchanan (83rd last year) made this year's list.  

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Not a fan of the club but great move for Fleming.  I hope she enjoys her time west London.

She'll probably be in Surrey more than London. The training ground is out there and I think their women's and youth teams are going to play at Kingstonians' old ground. I also hate Chelsea.

Their women are a bit different and Emma Hayes has done an outstanding job with them. She also knew Fleming and what she was getting in advance.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/07/22/chelsea-fc-women-sign-canadian-jessie-fleming

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/07/22/first-words-with-chelsea-women-s-new-signing-jessie-fleming

Fleming will play alongside Guro Reiten and they'll be a world class formidable combination in servicing the attack. Sam Kerr should have a field day.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So far, Fleming has a grand total of 28 minutes of playing time over three appearances (at the end of games where the team was comfortably ahead).  Here's hoping that she is learning a lot in practice, because she's not getting much game time experience.  I watched the game against West Ham that was televised today hoping to see what her play looks like in the WSL, but no luck with that.

19 minutes ago, rkomar said:

So far, Fleming has a grand total of 28 minutes of playing time over three appearances (at the end of games where the team was comfortably ahead).  Here's hoping that she is learning a lot in practice, because she's not getting much game time experience.  I watched the game against West Ham that was televised today hoping to see what her play looks like in the WSL, but no luck with that.

I think the environment is probably great for her. Remember Davies didn't get much of a chance at first with Bayern, there is definitely a transition period. Also look at that Chelsea squad. 

Also, you did get to see Leon go on a great run and cross for a tap in. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love Fleming but her form in the last 5 games with the National team (She Believe Cup and the last 2 games) hasn't been impressive. She scored a great goal v Wales, but she isn't bossing games at all and losing the ball easily. Hopefully it's a blip as to do anything at the Olympics she will have to raise her level of play.

She's not getting much playing time with Chelsea, so maybe that's impacting her reaction time.  I'm hoping that she is getting proper coaching there to make up for it, maybe improving her two-footed skills.  I watched her play for half an hour recently in the WSL, and she looked alright.  Not bossing, but holding up her end of things in the midfield.  Perhaps she'll get back her mojo in the concentration of games at the Olympics.

It would be nice if you (@dalglish07) could get her on the soccer snobs podcast.  It would be interesting to hear her experiences at star-studded Chelsea.