Youth Sparks Hope for World Cup 2022

masster

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'm more psyched about our prospects for 2034. I think our current crop of 6 yr olds are as good as any in the world and our academies should finally be producing decent pros by then...

I'm excited for our 2042 team! (Ralph Wiggims voice) 

Lol agreed...enjoy this group, who's know where we'll be at that time...not only referring to football

I sort of agree with it...well I could see Canada break into top 70 or maybe top 60 in fifa rankings over the next 5 years (yeah I know laugh but look where we were).

But honestly I think the professional teams in Canada are starting to have an good effect in multiple ways. Look at the recent signings by mls/nasl teams to bring Canadians home/give them a place to play.  It sort of started with de guzemann i guess but in the last year or so we have had Aird, De Jong, Edgar, Ledgerwood, Ricketts land back in Canada...there are some I am sure I am missing from the list.  This wouldn't have been possible 5-10 years ago.

Other Canadians are benefiting from just the fact there is a stronger and soccer system in North America. Larin and Akindele. Younger players in USL...

Also the development academies have resulted in some good prospects like Davies and Ballou.

Yeah I know I will get shit on for advocating North American professional soccer and it has a long way to go but it is a good option to Canadian internationals that didn't otherwise exist a generation ago.

7 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Btw masster i'm not trying to shit on you for posting this, just having a little fun with a subject that seemingly has been brought up for about 4 cycles in a row now.

No shits taken. I agree with you. The premise is something we have heard over and over again.

Regardless, I like to post relevant mainstream articles to get them as many clicks as possible.

But you know what, it's true. This cycle of U20s is more impressive than the last, which was more impressive than the previous cycle. We're getting more pros on every U20 roster, and they are remaining pros longer. Look back a few cycles and play the 'where are they now' game. It's depressing. Things are slowly changing. I agree with @mpg_29; I'm optimistic for the future.

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

But you know what, it's true. This cycle of U20s is more impressive than the last, which was more impressive than the previous cycle. We're getting more pros on every U20 roster, and they are remaining pros longer. Look back a few cycles and play the 'where are they now' game. It's depressing. Things are slowly changing. I agree with @mpg_29; I'm optimistic for the future.

It's also that the rest of CONCACAF has gotten a lot better, so a better on paper CMNT isn't necessarily about to become world beaters 

12 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Every youth cycle we think that this will finally be the group. Every cycle, we have players playing for top clubs. Let's see where they are in a few years.

Although, I'm cautiously optimistic about some of the talents on this team.

Right now, which U-20s are "playing for top clubs"? I don't see any of those in the system, but I guess that depends on your definition of "playing" and "top clubs".

There are a few players getting minutes at a decent level for their age (Shome, Zanatta, Zambazis) and one getting minutes at a level way above his age (Davies), and that's about it. Everyone else is playing for reserve sides, NCAA or in academy systems of big European clubs. 

Contrast this with the U-20 sides the CONCACAF powerhouses brought to the 2015 U-20 World Cup and we are still so behind them in this regard. 

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

Right now, which U-20s are "playing for top clubs"? I don't see any of those in the system, but I guess that depends on your definition of "playing" and "top clubs".

There are a few players getting minutes at a decent level for their age (Shome, Zanatta, Zambazis) and one getting minutes at a level way above his age (Davies), and that's about it. Everyone else is playing for reserve sides, NCAA or in academy systems of big European clubs. 

Contrast this with the U-20 sides the CONCACAF powerhouses brought to the 2015 U-20 World Cup and we are still so behind them in this regard. 

"in the system of top clubs" which of course is very different than "playing for top clubs"

Seems overly optimistic. We have 3 guys right now who could develop into high level talents (Larin, Davies and Ballou...Tomori would be here too if only...) and two of those guys are very unproven. If we had another 7 or 8 of those guys maybe we could start getting excited.

This is...really weird timing for an article like this right?

I may not be overly confident in our chances on Friday or beyond this cycle, but they're making it like its a total throwaway when you're a draw in Honduras + finishing ahead of Panama/T&T in the hex + a playoff against some random Middle Eastern country away from Russia, all of which on their own do not seem impossible.

• 1 month later...

Archived