Northvansteve

Liam Millar

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have been unimpressed with Bair lately. Anyone else or just me? I was high on him in 2019.

I think you would struggle to be impressed with anyone in that caps side the way they have been playing. Even Cavallini look rough. 

Maybe the next Whitecaps manager can get something out of him. He certainly looked great last season. He is a bit like Akindele in the regard that he looks like he should be a great number 9 but doesn't really excel at great number 9 things. Likewise he isnt quite a wide forward either.

Just now, toontownman said:

I think you would struggle to be impressed with anyone in that caps side the way they have been playing. Even Cavallini look rough. 

Maybe the next Whitecaps manager can get something out of him. He certainly looked great last season. He is a bit like Akindele in the regard that he looks like he should be a great number 9 but doesn't really excel at great number 9 things. Likewise he isnt quite a wide forward either.

I see your point, but one player who's looked sharp for me is Russell Teibert. Point taken though, it is hard to impress in that caps team, especially as an attacker. It is frustrating and a little sad they aren't further along.  

Bair has to improve his "compete" level, plain and simple.  His (current) coach implied that in an interview last season.  He needs a training stint with a German/Dutch/Belgian club's U23 team side, not necessarily a high profile side but a club punching above it's weight based on work ethic, playing with age peer teammates who would break their omas'  legs to win a 50-50 ball and treat him like an outsider who needs to earn their respect every step of the way.  It's a big eye opener for any  young player, be it from this club's Academy (such as Colyn going to PSV) or private pay-to-play academies who place Canadian kids in lower European league situations for a season.  It develops the mental toughness needed to take your game to the next level.  People talk a big game about how competitive so-in-so player is but those kind of pressure cooker situations separate the the pretenders/posers from the geniune article.

Whether it's Millar battling his way through the Liverpool "boot room" ranks or journeymen like Straith, Ledgerwood, Tosaint Ricketts and many other Canadians who have carved out substantial pro careers in European lower divisions, I have a ton of respect for these kind of guys.  I find that too many far more skilled guys in our youth systems just don't have that grit.  Hopefully Schuster is able to establish more of those kind of connections with European clubs for the Academy players coming through the Caps' system. 

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Those new additions are 4 years younger than Liam, so not necessarily in direct competition.

if you read down to the bottom of the article. It says Liam Millar is likely to go out on loan with interest from those 3 countries. Not related to the those players

I think League 1 would be amazing but if he could get in to a europa level Dutch or Belgium team that would be huge. Not sure how possible. Maybe Genk is thinking.. once you go Canuck you never go back

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

if you read down to the bottom of the article. It says Liam Millar is likely to go out on loan with interest from those 3 countries. Not related to the those players

I think League 1 would be amazing but if he could get in to a europa level Dutch or Belgium team that would be huge. Not sure how possible. Maybe Genk is thinking.. once you go Canuck you never go back

You mean Gent and not Genk.  Unless there is a Canadian at Genk I’m not aware of.

37 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You mean Gent and not Genk.  Unless there is a Canadian at Genk I’m not aware of.

my bad. Yes of course. They could be thinking about how well they did with David lets go with another Canadian 

I'm curious also how much they look at the analytics surrounding  impressions, views etc etc from Canada and think about the value of exposure in Canada as a market. They've clearly built a bit of brand now in Canada to the point people can almost get their name right

Edited by SpursFlu

I think people mix up the Genk/Gent thing because Pozuelo came from Genk, and that was before David/Gent was on everyone's radar. We also know it as "Ghent" with an h (Treaty of Ghent) floating around in our world history knowledge so seeing Gent makes us think Genk which is more distinct. But we'll all get Belgian place names sorted out in good time.

Bout a week and some change till the transfer window closes (maybe longer for loans between England). Any news about where he’s going?

I hope he’s not staying with the U23’s.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Just sharing an article confirming what we already know, thanks to Spitfire.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/09/28/report-liverpool-now-expected-to-offload-liam-millar/

By the sounds of the article it will be a permanent transfer and not a loan. Regardless, im happy he will go somewhere to get 1st team and professional minutes

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

So another loan move and not a permanent sale.  I am not an industry insider but that seems encouraging.  I assume Pool would just try to sell him if they knew he wasn’t part of their long term plans.   Not saying he will necessarily make the first team, but he isn’t being offloaded so that seems like a positive.