Northvansteve

Liam Millar

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

Sort of like a class of 92 situation, although Man U never seemed to get nearly the amount of credit that Barcelona has (imo).  I don’t like Man U at all but it is odd that no one ever jumps right to them as being a good club for development - in England you usually hear about West Ham or Southampton. 

Being in development at a top club means the stakes are high, and the chances to not grab a spot on a 1st team roster correspondingly low. If Millar or Ballou were to actually make a 1st team roster that would be a huge accomplishment, but really, doing that before 21-22 years old? 

So the lateral moves have to be taken, I understand that, loans or transfering. The prestige of coming where you are adds to your value. But if you look carefully, going to soon, even with a 1st team spot in another solid pro team, you can end up back in THEIR academy team, and you are back where you started, but at a weaker club. Sergi Gomez, who was on Spain u-17 last year, left Barça for Dortmund at the start of this, to get a way higher salary, but is playing Regionalliga so far, that's it. He's a year younger than Ballou. 

A contrast, Adama Traoré, who I watched with the B team, also remember his 1st team debut for Barcelona in a friendly. He left at age 19 on a transfer to Aston Villa, has kept transfering up, and is now playing EPL, with a solid market value. If we could get that sort of results from Millar or Ballou, from a Canada perspective, we'd be doing very well. But I think that Traoré does not represent the majority scenario.

i sat on this for a week, after turning down approaches from Porto and a few premier league clubs after a chat with Klopp Liam decided to sign a new long term contract and head out on Loan to Kilmarnock..,Really happy and excited for the opportunity for Liam...Here's to him going and smashing up the SPL!!!

Buzzing!!!

Sent from a hotel in Kilmanock!!!!

5 minutes ago, spitfire said:

i sat on this for a week, after turning down approaches from Porto and a few premier league clubs after a chat with Klopp Liam decided to sign a new long term contract and head out on Loan to Kilmarnock..,Really happy and excited for the opportunity for Liam...Here's to him going and smashing up the SPL!!!

Buzzing!!!

Congrats. Great that Liam had options - and you guys have obviously weighed those options carefully - so looking forward to keeping tabs on him in SPL.  And great news that his Pool contract got extended.  Obviously, they see the value of keeping him in the fold.

Great news all around :)

Congratulations to Liam (and Spitfire) on the new contract and best of luck at Killie - Steve Clarke has done an unbelievable job there and is IMO, the manager of the season (and last season) in the SPFL.  

As a long time Hearts supporter and a contributor to the Foundation of Hearts, I must still support the Jambos tomorrow.  But it will sting slightly less if Liam does well.  

52 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Buzzing!!!

Congrats!! Very excited to see what Liam can do at Kilmanock!

43 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Kilmarnock v Hearts is live on TV tomorrow. Will definitely tune in. 

Which network?  Edit:  Never mind

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

3 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Kilmarnock v Hearts is live on TV tomorrow. Will definitely tune in. 

Is he likely to get time so soon? 

13 minutes ago, admin said:

We have tracked down all the coach's relevant details for immediate and extended family and our agents are in place. 

He'll play.

Ha Ha...count me out!  Of all the people I would not want to cross, that would be the Kilmarnock manager. 

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Ha Ha...count me out!  Of all the people I would not want to cross, that would be the Kilmarnock manager. 

Oh, well, you seemed the most relevant contact to Scottish football so I gave them your name as a contact for hostage negotiations. 

I've always had a tough time getting a true read on Millar's level. I like what I see, but also think he's very raw. It's hard to compare him against u19 and u23 sides, and even his international caps have been against some wonky competition (and mostly in a wonky position).

The Scottish league itself is tough to get a bead on, but if he can make an impact at Kilmarnock it would be no joke. Tied for 2nd in the SPL is pretty solid, and many other Canadians haven't been lighting it up in the Scottish top tier recently.