Liam Millar

Northvansteve

54 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I am a huge Liverpool fan and with Harry Wilson killing it at Derby, I hope they loan Miller out to a team in the championship asap. But really he should just be sold somewhere MLS or Championship level as I dont think he could even make the senior liverpool team. 

A bit premature to give up on such a young talent no? A loan would be perfect

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I am a huge Liverpool fan and with Harry Wilson killing it at Derby, I hope they loan Miller out to a team in the championship asap. But really he should just be sold somewhere MLS or Championship level as I dont think he could even make the senior liverpool team. 

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Millar makes a senior appearance at some point.

With Davies exploding onto the Bayern scene, Tabla already firmly entrenched at Barca B and David seemingly coming out of nowhere at Gent, it's easy to overlook Millar as a huge prospect in his own right.

Ultimately a loan may be best, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Liam somehow earned minutes with the first team. They have been promoting youth and he's trained with the first team and is scoring for the U23 team (essentially the B team), so why not?

To me, he has just as much of a chance as Tabla does.

Again, Spitfire may be able to tell us if this is accurate, or not, but I'm pretty sure that Liam's out of contract at the end of this season. The rumours that I've heard are that he's fielding offers from other clubs. Although, he's technically on a free, I believe that the signing club will have to pay compensation to Liverpool since he's under 24. If it's an English club, the fee would be determined by a tribunal. If it's a non-English club, the fee is set by FIFA rules.

I'd love to see him get a go at Rangers while Gerrard's still there. They'll know each other pretty well after Stevie's season as Liverpool's U18s coach. Rangers currently have an excellent young striker, who's a bit of a head case, in Morelos, and have just signed Defoe on a loan. There could certainly be a spot for another young up-and-comer.

27 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Even if he makes the senior team he will be behind Mane Firmino Salah Shapiro Harry Wilson and Origi. I just think it would be best to play somewhere else. 

Sure he would likely be behind those players, but he's also 19 years old. He has his whole career in front of him.

Most players can only dream of playing for a club like Liverpool or Barcelona (in Tabla's case). Sure he could sign for another club and spend his whole career climbing back up the ladder, but if he's patient his chance may very well come with Liverpool. All he has to do is take it if and when it does. That's how young stars are born.

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Thanks for the update, Spitfire!

If you can indulge us with the answer to one more question...

Is the option of re-signing with Liverpool, then going out on loan, an option at this time? I know that Klopp has taken that approach with a few players (Kent, Grujic, Wilson, et al.) over the past couple of years.

Edited by SthMelbRed
1. typo 2. courtesy

2 hours ago, masster said:

Hey! This is territorial discrimination! All of us west coasters were sleeping when the juicy info was coming out! If someone wants to DM me, would be great.

Of course, I can't tell you even a bit of what was posted, but trust me when I tell you that it was the best thing ever posted on the Vs' board! ?

1 hour ago, masster said:

Hey! This is territorial discrimination! All of us west coasters were sleeping when the juicy info was coming out! If someone wants to DM me, would be great.

It said that Millar was ready to accept a transfer to a third division team in Azerbaïdjan.

3,2,1 V's are searching youtube to find clips of Azerbaïdjan third league so they can voice their opinion on the defending....

Here’s my hot take:

i think we put WAY too much stock into the name value of a youth team. Yes LiverpoolU23s will be better than 95% of others but almost any first team environment in a reputable league is a significant step up. How many Barca youth players actually end up with the first team? I don’t think the path is that simple. Liverpool youth system should be viewed as a great path to ANY first team environment 

16 hours ago, Yoginess said:

How many Barca youth players actually end up with the first team?

I don't think that is exactly the question I would be interested in.  I'm much more interested in how many Barca youth players make the step up with a reputable first team and not necessarily with the Barcelona first team.  I'd be interested to know the average career length for players from a youth team of a top tier club as compared to those from a youth team for a lower tier club.  They don't necessarily have to graduate to their own first team, but to someone's first team.

20 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I don't think that is exactly the question I would be interested in.  I'm much more interested in how many Barca youth players make the step up with a reputable first team and not necessarily with the Barcelona first team.  I'd be interested to know the average career length for players from a youth team of a top tier club as compared to those from a youth team for a lower tier club.  They don't necessarily have to graduate to their own first team, but to someone's first team.

Anthony Lozano ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lozano ) might be a good example of a CONCACAF and Braceloan B guy who didn't play with the first team but seems to have a good career trajectory.

16 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Here's an article about promising players from Barça's Masia from the last 8 years or so, in Spanish, but if you scroll down you'll see teams all the way from 1st to 4th division, and some unattached. 

https://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2018/09/18/5b9f626eca4741f6498b4633.html

Fans of Barça complain that the last player from the academy to really get a foothold in the first team was Sergi Roberto. It's hard to accept that a generation with Cesc, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Busquets, Pique, could have actually been an exception.

I recall an article that the most prolific academy in Europe was Dynamo Zagreb; others still argue its Ajax. 

1 minute ago, Ruffian said:

Anthony Lozano ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Lozano ) might be a good example of a CONCACAF and Braceloan B guy who didn't play with the first team but seems to have a good career trajectory.

Yes but for our criteria in Barcelona, he is not really an academy player. He got signed quickly out of Barça B into Girona when they were in a pinch and the B team looked like it could drop out of 2nd division.

Ballou is also borderline, but I think if he is still here next year he'll be more accepted as a bona fide Masia product.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Here's an article about promising players from Barça's Masia from the last 8 years or so, in Spanish, but if you scroll down you'll see teams all the way from 1st to 4th division, and some unattached. 

https://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2018/09/18/5b9f626eca4741f6498b4633.html

Fans of Barça complain that the last player from the academy to really get a foothold in the first team was Sergi Roberto. It's hard to accept that a generation with Cesc, Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Busquets, Pique, could have actually been an exception.

I recall an article that the most prolific academy in Europe was Dynamo Zagreb; others still argue its Ajax. 

Sort of like a class of 92 situation, although Man U never seemed to get nearly the amount of credit that Barcelona has (imo).  I don’t like Man U at all but it is odd that no one ever jumps right to them as being a good club for development - in England you usually hear about West Ham or Southampton. 

Edited by Keegan