Rio Games

LeanneMac

I know a thread has already been posted previously about the Olympics but thought it might be alright to start something just in time for shit to kick off! Look forward to seeing everyone's thoughts over the next few weeks ... Allez Les Rouges!

Super excited to see stuff get going. We know We've got Australia (Aug 3rd), Zimbabwe (6th) then Germany (9th).

I'd be lying if I said the Aussie's weren't a scare but personally see Germany being our biggest Challenge. The World Cup didn't end in our favour... Now is the chance to prove we were not a fluke 4 years ago!

2 hours ago, The Ref said:

I wouldn't be to quick to write off Zimbabwe yet.  Games have to be won on the field.  We only have two young forwards who can muster.

We beat China 1-0. China just beat Zimbabwe 3-0. http://www.fifa.com/womensolympic/news/y=2016/m=8/news=prolific-wang-eyes-opening-win-for-china-2818942.html

If we can't beat Zimbabwe then what the hell are we doing at the Olympics?!?

Look at their results: http://www.fifa.com/live-scores/teams/country=zim/women/matches/index.html

I totally agree with you, The Ref.  The expectation of victory over everyone but the Germans is giving me sad flashbacks of the lead up to the 2011 World Cup: "If we can steal a win against the Germans, we've got it made, because it's a given that we'll beat the Nigerians and the French!"  I think today's Australian team isn't much less dangerous than the French were back then, and they're vaulting up the rankings now in similar way.  Personally, I'm nervous about making the knock-out rounds.

I don't expect us to lose to Zimbabwe, but if we get soundly beaten by Australia, who's to say that the morale of the team won't get broken again like last time?  I know that Herdman is better than Moracci at the psychological aspects of coaching, so I don't expect the same kind of meltdown, but I'm getting edgy from the similar situations in the group stage of the two tournaments.

On 2016-08-02 at 1:15 AM, rkomar said:

I don't expect us to lose to Zimbabwe, but if we get soundly beaten by Australia, who's to say that the morale of the team won't get broken again like last time?  I know that Herdman is better than Moracci at the psychological aspects of coaching, so I don't expect the same kind of meltdown, but I'm getting edgy from the similar situations in the group stage of the two tournaments.

I still don`t understand what happened with Morace and the WC meltdown.  They played fairly well against the host country and one of the best teams in the world, Germany.  Canada was not expected to win so the result was no surprise and actually we probably did better than expected.  Why was there a meltdown?  I think I heard that they were intimidated by Morace and were homesick as well as they had been training in Italy for quite a while but they actually should have been buoyed by their performance against Germany.

On August 7, 2016 at 1:05 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

I still don`t understand what happened with Morace and the WC meltdown.  They played fairly well against the host country and one of the best teams in the world, Germany.  Canada was not expected to win so the result was no surprise and actually we probably did better than expected. 

We went into the games ranked 6th and got ploughed under by France in the opening game.  The tournament was over before it really began.

Fair or not, expectations were high that we would make it out of the group, and middling that we would make final four.

And then Morace threw the players under the bus.

That was the scene that Herdman stepped into.

43 minutes ago, paul-collins said:

We went into the games ranked 6th and got ploughed under by France in the opening game.  The tournament was over before it really began.

Fair or not, expectations were high that we would make it out of the group, and middling that we would make final four.

And then Morace threw the players under the bus.

That was the scene that Herdman stepped into.

We lost 2-1 to Germany in the opening game and that's when the problems started for reasons I'll never understand as I explained above.  It was an expected result. I actually thought we lost 3-1 so it was even closer than I remembered.  We lost 4-0 to France in the second game and it was definitely over.

Oh, right you are.  I had forgotten the order.  But the France game was the one that the ladies disappeared from.

Say what you will about Sinclair's toughness, but I'm sure that running for 90' with that smashed nose had an impact on her effectiveness in that game against France.  We were far too reliant on her going into that tournament.

Something happened after the German game.  Where they should have been pleased about being competitive with the best team in the world with a home advantage it was seen as a failure apparently within the ranks of the team or team management.  Still don't know if Morace flipped her wig after that or what happened and no one will talk about it.

Archived