Amer Didic

lazlo_80

7 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

It's a bit sad that it's apparent CPL can't compete with USL for Canadian players. If max salary is really like not even 40k CAD I can't blame Canadian players  that they're staying in the States. You have to think the CPL should have known this is an issue. I wonder how long before they can offer better salaries than the USL.

it's all good. The more Canadian players that get an opportunity to play professionally, will in the long run, benefit our program and the CMNT be it in CPL, MLS, USL or other leagues

Just now, Kadenge said:

it's all good. The more Canadian players that get an opportunity to play professionally, will in the long run, benefit our program and the CMNT be it in CPL, MLS, USL or other leagues

I edited my post because it was a bit more negative than i intended and I forgot about the Forge boys and Thomas who all came from USL. You bring up a good point about the more of them playing pro the better.

11 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

It's a bit sad that it's apparent CPL can't compete with USL for Canadian players. If max salary is really like not even 40k CAD I can't blame Canadian players  that they're staying in the States. You have to think the CPL should have known this is an issue. I wonder how long before they can offer better salaries than the USL.

If the CPL salaries where that much lower than USL’s I wonder why Kyle Bekker signed for Hamilton? I’m pretty sure that he could earn a high USL salary given that he is a proven performer at that level. 

My take is that the Canadian players that signs in USL are the ones who still hope to play in MLS (like Didic) because of the familiarity between the two leagues. 

48 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I wonder what's making a number of guys opt to stay in USL instead of going north. Probably $$$. I wonder how long before the CPL can pay higher salaries to players than the USL.

League stability could be one thing. Knowledge of the playing level going in could be another. Better access to MLS scouting (aspiring to jump to that level someday soon) could be another.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:01 PM, HochelagaFC said:

If the CPL salaries where that much lower than USL’s I wonder why Kyle Bekker signed for Hamilton? I’m pretty sure that he could earn a high USL salary given that he is a proven performer at that level. 

My take is that the Canadian players that signs in USL are the ones who still hope to play in MLS (like Didic) because of the familiarity between the two leagues. 

I agree. CPL is still unknown and unproven, so for those with MLS aspirations it makes sense to stay in the American system, or at least I believe that's their mentality.

Hopefully CPL eventually becomes a reliable springboard for Canadians into MLS and elsewhere.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, HochelagaFC said:

I heard that David Monsalve turned down similar money from York 9 to stay with Ottawa.

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree. CPL is still unknown and unproven, so for those with MLS aspirations it makes sense to stay in the American system, or at least I believe that's their mentality.

Hopefully CPL eventually becomes a reliable springboard for Canadians into MLS and elsewhere.

That makes a lot of sense and Mark Anthony Kaye and now Greg Ranjitsingh have proven that it can work for Canadian players aspiring to get to MLS.  Which may also explain why Luca Uccello and Malik Johnson made those moves.  Both players didn't see an immediate path through TFC so branching off to another USL club puts them in the shop window for other MLS clubs a bit more.

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I heard that David Monsalve turned down similar money from York 9 to stay with Ottawa.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but depending on what happens with sanctioning, ironically, sticking with the more “known commodity” may have been a bit of a gamble. 

Article on Dylan Sacramento today quotes CPL salaries as ranging from $35k to 75k... not bad at all?  Just waiting for Fury to come out and tell us they actually pay players $100k plus education and board. 

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/almost-like-it-was-fate/amp#click=https://t.co/0fa7Y0yYuR

Edited by Keegan

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Article on Dylan Sacramento today quotes CPL salaries as ranging from $35k to 75k... not bad at all?  Just waiting for Fury to come out and tell us they actually pay players $100k plus education and board. 

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/almost-like-it-was-fate/amp#click=https://t.co/0fa7Y0yYuR

If 35 were the average that would put us over 800k for a roster of 23. If it is the low end, not the average, then we are almost, inevitably, talking about something at least a million. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If 35 were the average that would put us over 800k for a roster of 23. If it is the low end, not the average, then we are almost, inevitably, talking about something at least a million. 

CPL salary cap, 1.4 million  https://cplargentina.wordpress.com/2018/11/25/el-city-football-group-en-la-cpl-por-ahora-solo-una-hipotesis/

I believe the author is a scout/agent in Argentina, so he may have received legit info.

Even if true, I'd imagine most teams will try to see if they can win in year 1 without spending to the cap.

10 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

CPL salary cap, 1.4 million  https://cplargentina.wordpress.com/2018/11/25/el-city-football-group-en-la-cpl-por-ahora-solo-una-hipotesis/

I believe the author is a scout/agent in Argentina, so he may have received legit info.

Even if true, I'd imagine most teams will try to see if they can win in year 1 without spending to the cap.

So that'd be roughly an average of 60k per player. That's honestly not too bad. 

26 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

The CPL has always talked in terms of annual budget, including staff, so I wonder if this $1.4 figure includes non-playing staff. I suspect it will, and from what we've seen I don't think $60k will be the average wage.

10 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

The CPL has always talked in terms of annual budget, including staff, so I wonder if this $1.4 figure includes non-playing staff. I suspect it will, and from what we've seen I don't think $60k will be the average wage.

Ive heard about a cpl front office salary cap as well.  odd concept.   

I think 60K will be the top end of player salaries (Bekker and Ledgerwood) to begin.  Until at least the summer transfer window in 2020, at which time I'd expect to see players like Jordan Hamilton, AJH and Mike Petrasso who will want 75K-100K salaries.  But the league will get there in short order. 

To get back on topic, Amer Didic earned 55,000 this past year from Kansas City.  By comparison, top earners in San Antonio made about 40K last year, according to google.  I dont think a CPL team would blow 40K on a guy like Didic. 

9 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I think 60K will be the top end of player salaries (Bekker and Ledgerwood) to begin.  Until at least the summer transfer window in 2020, at which time I'd expect to see players like Jordan Hamilton, AJH and Mike Petrasso who will want 75K-100K salaries.  But the league will get there in short order. 

To get back on topic, Amer Didic earned 55,000 this past year from Kansas City.  By comparison, top earners in San Antonio made about 40K last year, according to google.  I dont think a CPL team would blow 40K on a guy like Didic. 

Agree. But we'll only get to 75-100k if fans show up. Please turn up!

What do you mean - you don't think Didic is worth CND40k? I'd jump at him at that price, especially if the top guys are only on $60k.

Edited by BCM

7 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Where have you heard about the front office? I would assume that’s just manager and main coaching staff..can’t include physio, GM, ticket managers etc.  Maybe certain teams will have more of a leash than others when it comes to that.

That would be around 54,000 Canadian for Didic, which as a former USL first team all star isn’t bad?  I mean we’re always told how amazing USL is so surely that’s justified. I do wonder though how he hasn’t earned a Canada cap or SKC appearance, something’s gotta give.

4 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Agree. But we'll only get to 75-100k if fans show up. Please turn up!

What do you mean - you don't think Didic is worth CND40k? I'd jump at him at that price, especially if the top guys are only on $60k.

Ya, as Keegan referenced above, he's probably making 40K USD in San Antonio, so I dont think CPL makes an offer like that to a centre back who is not an established "name". 

So roughly 54000 CDN for DIdic?  And we just learned salaries will be between 35-75,000??  Didic has to be at least as big a name as Skylar Thomas or Carreiro.  Played with a good USL squad and was making the 18 with SKC.  54,000 is right in the middle of salary window...not bad for what would probably be a starting CB.  If he wanted to come, why wouldnt you spend the 54 on him??

42 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So roughly 54000 CDN for DIdic?  And we just learned salaries will be between 35-75,000??  Didic has to be at least as big a name as Skylar Thomas or Carreiro.  Played with a good USL squad and was making the 18 with SKC.  54,000 is right in the middle of salary window...not bad for what would probably be a starting CB.  If he wanted to come, why wouldnt you spend the 54 on him??

35-75K is probably true but still misleading.  Id be surprised if guys like Skylar and Carreiro were on 50K out of the gate.  My speculation is that the vast majority will be on approximately 40K, and only 2 or 3 per team will hope to be above 50K in year one - and those spots are logically reserved for goal scorers or "names" (which Didic is not).  Defenders are always the least likely to be paid well in any league. 

35K x 5 = 175

40K x 15 = 600

60K x 2 =  120

75K x 1 = 75

Total player budget = 970K

Some clubs will go cheaper than this, and Hamilton and York will probably try to be the Super Clubs trying to upset an MLS team in the Vs Cup. 

Even at this budget, I think the quality of the league will be at USL level (whatever that means).  You have to expect that some guys at 40K will inevitably outperform their better paid team mates and prove they deserve 60 and 70K.  The league has to give themselves room to be able to reward these successful players with better contracts in year 2, so they can't start off with their salaries too high across the board.   

6 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

I just think it is funny how so many posters just mocked that link, for whatever reason. Even though the page scooped a few signings, like Chung and Manny Aparicio, which we may hear about when the window opens. 

If we are getting anywhere near what you posted about a possible distribution of salaries on a CPL team, still keeping us under a million, that is pretty good. From there, I think they will have to consider extra signings for long-term injury situations, as there is no reserve team system set up to feed teams with injuries or other problems. Unless there is a general idea that they'll use L10 players as the entire league's reserve. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just think it is funny how so many posters just mocked that link, for whatever reason. Even though the page scooped a few signings, like Chung and Manny Aparicio, which we may hear about when the window opens. 

If we are getting anywhere near what you posted about a possible distribution of salaries on a CPL team, still keeping us under a million, that is pretty good. From there, I think they will have to consider extra signings for long-term injury situations, as there is no reserve team system set up to feed teams with injuries or other problems. Unless there is a general idea that they'll use L10 players as the entire league's reserve. 

Mate, can you link to anyone mocking the link? I didn't see anyone doing anything of the sort. If you're referring to me, I simply stated that the amount is higher than the figure doing the rounds (which is closer to @BrennanFan) and thus likely includes some non-playing staff/salary budget -- which is what the league personnel have alluded to in past statements. Good point on injuries, maybe they'll take guidance from MLS or the A-league -- and if it's really long term injuries than insurance will take care of most of the extra costs.

41 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Mate, can you link to anyone mocking the link? I didn't see anyone doing anything of the sort. If you're referring to me, I simply stated that the amount is higher than the figure doing the rounds (which is closer to @BrennanFan) and thus likely includes some non-playing staff/salary budget -- which is what the league personnel have alluded to in past statements. Good point on injuries, maybe they'll take guidance from MLS or the A-league -- and if it's really long term injuries than insurance will take care of most of the extra costs.

I'll look for it...but no matter. If what we are hearing is true there may not be a publicly stated cap to avoid speculation on it. 

Another thing may be that Didic was attached to FCE academy and only had the option of signing there.  If so, you could see how the money may not work as FCE apparently already has their team all but set.  It would be smart of the league to limit certain players to one team so as not to create bidding wars.