Amer Didic

lazlo_80

22 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

This is likely only a 1/2 week thing, considering SKC is hugely talented at CB, and has a few short term injuries/Besler at USMNT camp. Still great to see he is in their plans.

Article says its for the full year with options. It's not like the one Raheem signed last year as an emergency spot. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

7 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Article says its for the full year with options. It's not like the one Raheem signed last year as an emergency spot. Hopefully he makes the most of it.

I was talking about in reagrds to maybe getting playing time. As EPB, Besler, and Espinoza (3 of SKC's 5 CBs) are currently out with international duty/short-term injury. SKC has signed 4 players to this exact deal this year, they give it to all SPR call-ups. As with Pasher, his fellow SPR Canadian, he will almost certainly still play more games with SPR than SKC this season.

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

I was talking about in reagrds to maybe getting playing time. As EPB, Besler, and Espinoza (3 of SKC's 5 CBs) are currently out with international duty/short-term injury. SKC has signed 4 players to this exact deal this year, they give it to all SPR call-ups. As with Pasher, his fellow SPR Canadian, he will almost certainly still play more games with SPR than SKC this season.

ah gotcha. Yeah. He needs to prove himself quick or opportunities will definitely dry up given who they have back there.

1 minute ago, One American said:

Palmer-Brown won't be at SKC for long. The way he's playing at the U20 means he'll likely be at peak value. 

What I'd give for that kid to be Canadian...

It's still an uphill battle given how good Opara and Besler are. Hopefully Didic can make an impression and become CB3 once EPB. Espinoza hasn't looked great at CB.

8 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

What I'd give for that kid to be Canadian...

It's still an uphill battle given how good Opara and Besler are. Hopefully Didic can make an impression and become CB3 once EPB. Espinoza hasn't looked great at CB.

Hmmm 

13 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I don't see how Didic is a domestic since he wasn't in SKC academy... Anyway, the flexibility of the MLS rules are benefiting us here.

According to Steven Sandor's article on the signing (https://the11.ca/edmonton-punches-above-its-weight-when-it-comes-to-nurturing-mls-level-talent/), here's some insight. Of course, no one really knows why any Canadians are domestic or international in MLS anymore:

What’s interesting is that Sporting Kansas City confirmed that Didic will be classified as a domestic under new MLS rules brought in before the 2017 season. To be a domestic, a Canadian player’s first academy needs to be one that’s “approved” by MLS and the Canadian Soccer Association. So, logic tells us that FC Edmonton’s academy is on that approved list

Also, an interesting quote from Marc dos Santos on Didic:

“For me, I am surprised that he is not playing in Edmonton,” said Dos Santos. “He has the abilities and qualities, in my opinion, over maybe some of the other players who came from their academy and played one or two games for the first team. Now don’t get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for [FC Edmonton coach] Colin Miller and I think he has done a great job there, and it might be a case where Amer needed to develop and wasn’t at that point a couple of years ago. But, this past year, from the first day of training camp to the last day of the season, his development was terrific. Here was a kid who had gone to FC Edmonton’s Academy and had moved on to Baker, a small college. He came to Kansas City on a trial. He goes on to play in a USL final and gets called up for three Champions League games. I think he has the tools to have an excellent future in this game.”

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Ellis out indefinitely and Besler and Palmer-Brown with national teams so Didic might start with Opara tomorrow

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/2017/06/01/sporting-kc-defender-kevin-ellis-out-indefinitely-quad-strain

He won't Besler is coming back for the game because Didic's P1 certifcate or something hasn't gone through yet, according to Julie Stewart-Binks.

On 06/02/2017 at 0:52 AM, lazlo_80 said:

Man, MLS is a league where (especially Canadians) need to read the fine print. To deduce that FC Edmonton is on the CSA approved academy list is a big deal. I don't understand why they don't just announce who is and who isnt.

It seems to me that they're not announcing which are included so they can include more academies, should the need arise. Both Kwame Awuah and Brian Wright are domestics (it was said at the draft), so the way I see it we benefit from the current "flexibility".

Edited by BCM

20 hours ago, Blackdude said:

It would only be true if Besler is called up by the US. 

Espinoza will be on the Honduran Gold Cup team and Kevin Ellis just suffered his second back-to-back quad strain and is out indefinitely. Even if Besler doesn't get called up, he could be the third choice CB for a month.