Hello from Victoria, BC

Rintaran

Hello everyone! 

I'm Shawn Gray, a correspondent for Northern Starting Eleven ( http://northernstartingeleven.com ) who writes articles primarily on the Victoria Highlanders (PDL) or with statistical ELO rankings (as flawed as they are in a system where leagues don't play each other). Although I currently reside in Victoria, BC, I first fell in love with soccer when I was at college in Ottawa. I worked as an usher at Carleton University during the Fury's first Spring Season and was one of the team leads on the Club Level at TD Place. I loved watching, working, and talking about the matches and the potential that the Fury were displaying. Now that I'm out in Victoria, there is sadly no professional team to watch in-person, so I've taken to enjoying my seasons tickets to the Victoria Highlanders with my wife & 4-month old son (We usually sit on the Eastern stands at the southern-most end b/c lots of noise + baby = upset baby).

My educational background is quite diverse, with a BA English, a Bachelor of Education, a graduate certificate in Event Management, and most of a diploma in Business Administration - Materials and Operations Management. My work background has taken an equally winding route including everything from retail sales, reception, ushering, tutoring, purchasing database development, and most recently, brewing specialty coffee as a barista. My hobbies outside of soccer include speculative mass-transit system cartography, multi-purpose urban infrastructure development, cycling, and politics.

I'm looking forward to discussing NASL, PDL, the Canadian Championship, CanMNT, CanWNT, and the potential CPL. 

If its streamed, I'll be happy to watch the Highlanders shock the Foothills. The team playing now is nothing like the team that Calgary decimated during our home opener. Will you be doing an article on the matches (hopefully with photos)?

Nope, I stopped writing for Northern Starting XI for a few reasons. First, another member of our group expressed interest in it. Second, wasn't a fan of doing game reports and that seemed to be what Kasey wanted to focus on. Third, Kasey hasn't returned my emails about writing non game-report articles

Foothills doesn't stream the games yet, but they do have highlights / interviews via Canada Footy News, so hopefully that can give you a little insight.

12 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Nope, I stopped writing for Northern Starting XI for a few reasons. First, another member of our group expressed interest in it. Second, wasn't a fan of doing game reports and that seemed to be what Kasey wanted to focus on. Third, Kasey hasn't returned my emails about writing non game-report articles

Foothills doesn't stream the games yet, but they do have highlights / interviews via Canada Footy News, so hopefully that can give you a little insight.

Awesome. I look forward to the highlights/interviews.

Yeah, Kasey isn't exactly the most reliable for communication. I still haven't received a reply from him about whether I can come back and write my articles (I just went ahead and did it anyways, with him retweeting info about the posts, so I assume I'm good). From our conversations when NSXI was getting started, there were some pretty high hopes for what the site could become, but he seemed to have a hard time getting people together to write reports, reviews, analysis, etc. What sort of article were you hoping to write? Did you end up writing elsewhere? I would be happy to read some of your stuff

Archived