Canada vs Uzbekistan Tuesday June 7th (10amET/7amPT). Game thread.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Edit: Also, Uzbekistan was on an 8 game winning streak prior to their loss against us!

Yeah but their previous loss was against North Korea who suck so we are hopelessly doomed to be crushed by Honduras!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Vince193 said:

I'm expecting a 2-0 loss. Uzbekistan is a good team and this Canada team that is CB palooza isn't going to create anything going forward.

You're awfully quiet now that we've won, with a goal from one of the 5 CB's to boot. Only enjoying posting when you can complain?

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

You're awfully quiet now that we've won, with a goal from one of the 5 CB's to boot. Only enjoying posting when you can complain?

Actually, was at work. Happy for the win, didn't expect it. Like I said historically Uzbekistan is a pretty good team in the AFC, but it is a friendly. Sounds like Arfield was great.

I was looking at the FIFA Ranking simulators and I think those two results get us something like 80 more points---so we could jump to as high as 80th overall. 

Much better performance overall, vs. a better team this team. 

I could not see it all, was working, mid afternoon here. Thanks for the full recorded version just posted above.

Yet another convincing victory for Canada! Chalk it up boys 2018 here we come! Add this to the highlight reel behind our last win vs Honduras with that spectacular back goal. We can show the clips to the guys to pump them up before they get on the pitch in San Pedro Sula. 

One thing that I really noticed we lack in this match was our ability to counter.  In fact, it seems every team we face is better at countering.. we can't seem to stretch the field with accurate passes or when we do get a direct ball our dribbling lets us down.  

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

One thing that I really noticed we lack in this match was our ability to counter.  In fact, it seems every team we face is better at countering.. we can't seem to stretch the field with accurate passes or when we do get a direct ball our dribbling lets us down.  

In Floro's system there's no place for counter. The reason is there arent't enough speedy and attacking minded players selected, Hoilett being the only player that meets these criteria.

13 hours ago, Keegan said:

If you look at the stats at the end, we had high possession, I think it said over 60% which surprises me. If you have the ball countering is not so important. High pressure and quick transitions, which is what Floro seems to want. That is not really countering, though, you are right.

You hear them yelling instructions for direction changes coming out to get the counter going or at least the quick transition going, so they don't renounce it, but we had problems to progress on the fly up the right, better up the left. I think it is in the book (meaning Floro's tactical book) 

3 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

In Floro's system there's no place for counter. The reason is there arent't enough speedy and attacking minded players selected, Hoilett being the only player that meets these criteria.

Ricketts is arguably our fastest player, Tesho is fast, Larin is fast.  We don't have any "slow" attackers, it seems we just lack the technical ability to string together quick counters.  

Just now, Keegan said:

Ricketts is arguably our fastest player, Tesho is fast, Larin is fast.  We don't have any "slow" attackers, it seems we just lack the technical ability to string together quick counters.  

There was a further thing today: that pitch was slow, the ball ran a bit heavy for my liking. I don't think the grass was deep but the base was soft. Bad for anything you want to do quickly.

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

True for Ricketts (I forgot him), but Larin and Tesho aren't fast players. 

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Larin isn't fast at all. In fact that's a weakness of his. He's a plodder. Tesho is ok. Ricketts has great pace of course

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Larin isn't fast at all. In fact that's a weakness of his. He's a plodder. Tesho is ok. Ricketts has great pace of course

Ask any scout and they will tell you Larin is very fast.  He looks sluggish but he is deceptively very quick.  

1 hour ago, canucklefan said:

1 hour ago, canucklefan said:

True for Ricketts (I forgot him), but Larin and Tesho aren't fast players. 

Jackson is fast also, and to me has more quality than Ricketts.  For some reason Floro loves Ricketts

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was looking at the FIFA Ranking simulators and I think those two results get us something like 80 more points---so we could jump to as high as 80th overall. 

Much better performance overall, vs. a better team this team. 

I could not see it all, was working, mid afternoon here. Thanks for the full recorded version just posted above.

I was checking that too but i think it is broken. It no longer shows our total points after our results so we can't see how many points we would be losing from the games that will be no longer counted.

Larin has decent pace, but I wouldn't classify him as a "fast player" personally. Tesho on the other hand is a fast player, if you ask me. Ricketts is in a class of his own though when it comes to pace, with Hoilett a distant number 2. Then it probably goes something like 3. Jackson 4. Tesho 5. Petrasso 6. Hume 7. Larin 8. Haber. 

*only included attackers in this camp

Archived