Canada-Azerbaijan June 3 1 EDT /10 PDT (R)

Blackdude

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The performance was sure uninspiring but let see if there is some kind of progress against a solid AFC opponent on June 7 before panicking.

As for Azeirbaijan, if you look at the Pots for Euro 2016 qualification and 2018 WC UEFA qualification, you'll see they were place in Pot 5 both time with teams like Armenia, Iceland, Albania, Georgia, Moldova, Finland, Cyprus and a few others. Honestly, when I look at those teams, I'm not expecting Canada to win easily against any of those. We're good enough to win but a tie or a loss isn't a tragedy IMHO. Actually, this Pot 5 would probably be where Canada would be place if we were a UEFA team.

I have a lot of criticism regarding Floro but a tie in a neutral ground against Azeirbaijan isn't a reason for me to panic regardless of who is coaching the team.

3 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Colombia is a world class team. USA has just realized they're not in their CONCACRAP sandbox anymore. 

We've all had enough time to assess Floro now we can form opinions. If you ask me the plane never took off. Draws don't get you anywhere. 

youre right the sky isn't falling ... we are all just in space. Our heads are above the clouds. When you don't get oxygen you start to hallucinate and get confused. 

The USA beat Ecuador in their last match, the same Ecuador near the top of the WCQ table. The same Ecuador that just drew Brazil (and deserved the win, some would say). Clearly, friendlies don't dictate future results, otherwise it would have been 4 wins on the trot for the Americans.

A contentious penalty call was the difference between 1 point and 3. That's the way she goes sometimes. I can't speak on whether or not Azerbaijan fielded their best squad or not, but I can say that we were clearly experimenting with Edgar and Straith in midfield, Arfield in the centre and Petrasso with the start.

No deguzman either suggests that this was match with a focus on experimentation and building chemistry for players like Arfield and Vitória, two guys who I believe will be starting when the matches truly matter.

All in all, I thought we did okay against an okay opponent. I really don't think there was a lot to choose between the two teams, but as we introduced players like Hoilett and deguzman the momentum began to shift. 

Nothing about that game or performance caused me concern for WCQ, nor am I thrilled. Feet to the ground, not in space or whatever.

A few days old now but pretty much my thought of game was simply that it just continued to show how non-threatening Canada is when attacking.  More chemistry and organization needs to be built between the mids and forwards if we are going to go anywhere in WCQ.  Floro needs to figure out the best formation and positions of the front end I'm just not sure it will happen before September.

- Thought Akindele played well, even before the goal.

- Arfield was indeed the best player and it seems he could take De Guzemans spot.  

- Edgar had a few noticeable giveaways, is he playing mid now??

I'd like to see:

Akindele

Hoilett -- Johnson -- Arfield -- Petrasso

Hutchison

De Jong -- Vitoria -- Jakovic -- Edgar

14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

A few days old now but pretty much my thought of game was simply that it just continued to show how non-threatening Canada is when attacking.  More chemistry and organization needs to be built between the mids and forwards if we are going to go anywhere in WCQ.  Floro needs to figure out the best formation and positions of the front end I'm just not sure it will happen before September.

- Thought Akindele played well, even before the goal.

- Arfield was indeed the best player and it seems he could take De Guzemans spot.  

- Edgar had a few noticeable giveaways, is he playing mid now??

I'd like to see:

Akindele

Hoilett -- Johnson -- Arfield -- Petrasso

Hutchison

De Jong -- Vitoria -- Jakovic -- Edgar

Johnson, De Jong and Hutchison are not there.

On 5/6/2016 at 10:06 PM, Moldy9 said:

Colombia is a world class team. USA has just realized they're not in their CONCACRAP sandbox anymore. 

We've all had enough time to assess Floro now we can form opinions. If you ask me the plane never took off. Draws don't get you anywhere. 

youre right the sky isn't falling ... we are all just in space. Our heads are above the clouds. When you don't get oxygen you start to hallucinate and get confused. 

I agree that we are very close to failing with this system..in fact not qualifying for the Copa America is big enough a failure. We have mostly failed with Floro. It is like 70% of a coaching job. A proper job, but not complete.

But since most of our matches are close, we are very close to making the HEX too. 

I think, sorry to say, that in attack, at some point in time, players are going to have to decide a bit for themselves if they want it or not. Meaning ignoring the coach maybe. 

We were quite a bit better today, and lucky, but at least we got into the box, and the way we are going to, up the sides. Still, we score so few "proper" goals it is ridiculous. 

Archived