Canada-Azerbaijan June 3 1 EDT /10 PDT (R)

Blackdude

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, gator said:

I thought Akindele and Arfield looked decent but other than that nothing made me think we'll get a result in Honduras!

Akindele, Arfield and Hoilett all looked pretty good but generally I agree with you. We actually seem to be going backwards despite the talent infusion. Getting a result in Honduras seems a longshot

2 minutes ago, Bully said:

Id like to see this in WCQ

------------------Larin----------------
Hoilett--Johnson--Arfield--Akindele/Petrasso
----------------Hutchinson-----------
De Jong---Jakovic--Edgar----Aird

i agree with all of this.

I think Hutch is going to have be huge in shielding our backline if we want to get out of Honduras with a result.

The nice thing is I think Arfield affords him the ability to stay back further. Arfield seems like a guy who can charge forward and lead scoring opportunities. I'm not sure DeGuzman at this stage still had that ability.

7 minutes ago, Bully said:

Id like to see this in WCQ

------------------Larin----------------
Hoilett--Johnson--Arfield--Akindele/Petrasso
----------------Hutchinson-----------
De Jong---Jakovic--Edgar----Aird

would like to see this too. maybe switch vitoria for jakovic. 

sadly i doubt floro starts this lineup 

1 minute ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think Hutch is going to have be huge in shielding our backline if we want to get out of Honduras with a result.

The nice thing is I think Arfield affords him the ability to stay back further. Arfield seems like a guy who can charge forward and lead scoring opportunities. I'm not sure DeGuzman at this stage still had that ability.

Modern game requires a DM who can make the first pass out of the defending 1/3 esp to start a counter.

Hutch is still very mobile and can cover a lot of ground, which means Arfield and Johnson can afford to push up forward a little more to support Larin. And Johnson will track back to help out on defence.

In reality, Floro will probably play with 2 defensive DMs with limited push forward to support the attack. Considering our CBs are still questionable. I hope for a Vitoria-Edgar pairing, but who knows who Floro will put in as CBs.

4 minutes ago, Yohan said:

In reality, Floro will probably play with 2 defensive DMs with limited push forward to support the attack. Considering our CBs are still questionable. I hope for a Vitoria-Edgar pairing, but who knows who Floro will put in as CBs.

Given our CBs are questionable is the key point here. Need to have 2 defensive mids to shore up this weakness especially on the road and/or against superior teams.

15 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Modern game requires a DM who can make the first pass out of the defending 1/3 esp to start a counter.

Hutch is still very mobile and can cover a lot of ground, which means Arfield and Johnson can afford to push up forward a little more to support Larin. And Johnson will track back to help out on defence.

Agree with this. Bet you Johnson plays a similar role to what he does with Toronto FC. sort of a step ahead of the furthest back DM (Bradley) but often going back to do the dirty work.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Akindele, Arfield and Hoilett all looked pretty good but generally I agree with you. We actually seem to be going backwards despite the talent infusion. Getting a result in Honduras seems a longshot

This game was more of a prep for El Salvador and then parking the bus when they come to Vancouver.  Not discounting your point as this is still concerning.  However, with regards to Honduras, part of getting a result there will include being responsible defensively.  I think that gets missed around here with all the calls on here for all-out-attack and wingbacks that charge forward.  We're best when we're on the counter (like we most likely will be in Honduras) and that was not the case during this game. 

49 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Vitoria actually looked pretty good defensively. I know we weren't facing a powerhouse or anything but he might be one of our best options come Sept

I don't think we watched the same game.

The problem with this game was that they didn't really park the bus well after the lead, nor did they show an exciting tactical approach to attacking.

Honestly the weirdest part of this game is how little there is to say afterward. It was a crap performance, but it was almost so boring and crappy in a predictable way that everyone is just tired of saying the same things over and over. Or maybe I just need a nap.

Yay Arfield and Tesho though.

53 minutes ago, admin said:

Not an excuse or anything, just a curious thought. I wonder how much the low camera angle, stream, ect... affects our perception of the game. 

I think it does. I'm shocked more people aren't talking about the penalty Ouimette got. Looking at the replays you can't tell if there's contact, and if Ouimette's left foot clips Ramazanov's heel it does so two feet outside the box.

Sometimes it worth having commentators and multiple angles point things out.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

This game was more of a prep for El Salvador and then parking the bus when they come to Vancouver.  Not discounting your point as this is still concerning.  However, with regards to Honduras, part of getting a result there will include being responsible defensively.  I think that gets missed around here with all the calls on here for all-out-attack and wingbacks that charge forward.  We're best when we're on the counter (like we most likely will be in Honduras) and that was not the case during this game. 

I don't think we watched the same game.

Why? Vitoria didn't get beat once as far as I remember. He had great positioning for the most part and made some nice stops and clearances. His passing was abysmal but I thought he looked strong defensively, especially for a guy that hasn't played club soccer in the last year.

3 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Boy, Ouimette is having a rough year. Wish him all the best but really hope he stays away from this team for the time being.

Agreed. Penalty was a result of him being out of position after a run up the pitch... and generally not terribly impressive.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

You guys are insane to think that Floro is going to change his approach in any way with the most important matches of his tenure coming up. 

For Uzbekistan Floro says: "It will be the same; it will be the same plan, tactical plan"

An 80 second clip:

"Increase our level (or level)" count: 3

"good pressing (or references to pressing)" count: 4

"¿No?" count: 1

Best quote though was "we can say that something is good".

Archived