Sign in to follow this  
Olympique_de_Marseille

Canada vs Brazil, Saturday June 4th - TORONTO

Here's Brazil's line-up. CBF is local players training with the federation if I undrestand well. 

Goalkeepers

Bárbara - CBF

Luciana - CBF

Centre Backs

Bruna Benites - CBF

Rafaelle - Changchdalian Quanjian

Mônica - Orlando City

Érika - PSG

Fullbacks

Fabiana - Dalian Quanjian

Tamires - Fortuna Hjorring

Poliana - Houston Dash

Midfielders

Thaisa - CBF

Formiga - CBF

Maurine - CBF

Andressinha - Houston Dash

Marta - FC Rosengard

Andressa Alves - Montepellier

Forwards

Debinha - Dalian Quanjian

Raquel - Changchdalian Quanjian

Darlene - Changchdalian Quanjian

Bia Zaneratto - Hyundai Steel Red Angels

Cristiane - PSG

Looks like they took out even the temporary small stands in the north end  that have been there for the recent TFC home games, that north end looks even emptier now.

John Molinaro with his take on the match. "Rusty". http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-women-look-rusty-friendly-loss-brazil/

Yeahhhhhh ok just say it as is. Far too kind with that assessment. The fact of the matter is Sinclair is getting old/slow, and the traditional powerhouse soccer countries of the world have not only caught up but are passing and are way ahead of Canada. Eventually the women's program will be almost as "good" as the men. They don't have the imagination, the vision, the skill or creativity. They missed plenty of opportunities to push forward instead they were slow and predictable and made lots of giveaways. I'm sorry that stuff can't be taught once at the national level. 

I agree John's take was surprisingly too kind - if this was the men, he would have taken them apart especially if Osorio wasn't on the team.

But Moldy9, your take is so predictable. Countries passing us mantra has been said for a decade. Our average ranking has been 9 since FIFA rankings started, best was 7 and we're at 10 now. So, nothing really has changed.

My take is that this was a bad showing especially defensively but given the mostly solid performances so far this year, I'll wait on Tuesday to see if this was an outlier.

Rose & Lawrence were decent. Labbe was a worry going into the match and she didn't do anything to allay those fears. Buchanan had her worst match that I have ever seen her play. Sinclair can be excused since she is playing into form coming off injury. No future Sinclairs were on display. Otherwise, everybody else was meh.

Brasil was quite organized, looked good defensively. goalkeeper was in command and only showed a couple of flashes of offensive thrust. In a way, they played like Canada.

Edited by red card

11 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Back in Ottawa. Even with the loss it's always great fun to meet up with fellow Voyageurs.

@MrsC save travels back to the 'Peg.

@LeanneMac + friends, sorry we had to leave so early but the drive back was long!

No worries!! Hope the travel back was ok

Never been and never will be a Herdman Fan . The man is a con and the CSA is buying it .

Nothing accomplished under his helm except a bunch of PR BS rolling from his mouth . 

Lets hope by September he is unemployed ! for the sake of future generations 

Edited by 67soccer

On 6/4/2016 at 4:22 PM, 1996 said:

Looks like they took out even the temporary small stands in the north end  that have been there for the recent TFC home games, that north end looks even emptier now.

And put in the artificial strip in the South as well. It's all prepping for the gridiron game this weekend.

The turnout for this game was insane. I'm glad so many first timers came out and I hope they enjoy some Toronto FC games in future or better still get together and watch the Girls when they go to Rio.

I only saw the last 35 mins or so but Brazil just looked better to me. A lot of our tackling is poor, our players are often on different wavelengths, we too often treat the ball like a hot potato, and many of our players panic and lack basic technical ability. As an example I cite the opening goal: Brazil ball comes in to Chapman I think who has no Brazilian within ten yards but contrived to mis-kick and fall on her arse in the process, leaving the ball to run free in the box for Marta to pounce on and score. Keystone Cops stuff really, even at this level. Utterly and completely unacceptable.

On the plus side we did have lots of running and effort but we never looked as though we believed. I can't remember who it was that poked the ball away from Marta just inside our half and was so happy with having successfully challenged the great Marta she entirely forgot to finish the challenge and chase the loose ball! And I can't even recall all the times that the runner went one way while the pass went another.

The bottom line is that we are not even doing the basics properly, while established football nations like Brazil have learned these things, and that is why they are leaving us behind. We need better coaching and we need it now.

On a positive note, Matheson is still an excellent player and I saw a great improvement in young Jesse Fleming since the World Cup.

Just my two cents, which is admittedly based on seeing less than half the match.

I think you're being too hard on Chapman.  I've been watching the NWSL, and she doesn't do that regularly there.  It was a fluke, and nothing to base a judgement of her or the whole Canadian program on.  Sometimes things go wrong and you fall on your arse; the main thing is not to take it too seriously.

13 hours ago, rkomar said:

I think you're being too hard on Chapman.  I've been watching the NWSL, and she doesn't do that regularly there.  It was a fluke, and nothing to base a judgement of her or the whole Canadian program on.  Sometimes things go wrong and you fall on your arse; the main thing is not to take it too seriously.

I certainly wasn't judging the whole programme on one blunder! I was just using that as an example of the shortcomings I saw all over the pitch and in many of our players. It was quite a good example because it encapsulated three major shortcomings in one moment: Panic (OMG, the ball is coming to me in our penalty area, what should I do?!), Hot Potato Syndrome (boot it, somewhere, anywhere!), and lack of technical ability (swing and a miss!). There was no opponent anywhere near her. She should have just stopped the ball and then done whatever.

Don't misunderstand me, I think Chapman is a good player and deserves her place in the team. But the shortcomings I see in her I also see in many of our other players which is why I have questioned the coaching.