MLS Acceptance around the world

to70

On 2016-11-10 at 0:52 PM, Toje said:

However, if you ask a football fan if they know anything about the MLS, they might say Beckham, Gerrard or the LA Galaxy. That is it.

But if you ask a North American football fan what they know about the Czech league, what would we say?  I don't think that is exactly a big deal.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/31/best-mls-2016-top-10-moments

If you want to see how far MLS has come as a league in terms of quality of play, the above link provides a video of the first ever MLS game (between DC United and the San Jose Clash (as they then we're known)). obviously each team here are hardly in mid season form, but even so, still quite the difference.....

On 12/31/2016 at 6:06 PM, Gian-Luca said:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/31/best-mls-2016-top-10-moments

If you want to see how far MLS has come as a league in terms of quality of play, the above link provides a video of the first ever MLS game (between DC United and the San Jose Clash (as they then we're known)). obviously each team here are hardly in mid season form, but even so, still quite the difference.....

Bollocks. Bull$**t. The quality has not improved since then and MLS only got larger and right now it's spreading like cancer. MLS is not accepted by the world as a legit league and Canada is too good for it. You think the "quality" improved because they can spend big bucks to sign foreign players but domestic Americans are the same unskilled Neanderthals as 1996.

Mister215Guy is undoubtedly a jealous Premiership fan who can't accept that the excitement and beautiful play of Columbus versus Kansas City has so far surpassed that of Chelsea against Liverpool. Of course once Chelsea realizes the errors of its big money ways and signs a few Canadians like Ricketts and Ledgerwood they might catch up! With only one semi-Canadian player in its ranks the Premiership level of play has really regressed.

8 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

Bollocks. Bull$**t. The quality has not improved since then and MLS only got larger and right now it's spreading like cancer...

There is no doubt that Nick Garcia could make as big an impact in MLS if he were emerging on the scene now as he did 15 years ago and his failure at TFC was all down to Chris Cummins not knowing how to utilize his Franco Barese level skills properly.

I've written the words to a chant that could be sung at CPL games in future to emphasize how terrible MLS is in comparison to it, as the standard of play will obviously even degenerate below 1996 levels:

MLS sucks, that's the truth!

You can even ask Dr. Ruth!

The level of play is low quality soccer!

If you don't agree, you're off your rocker!

3 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

The quality of play is about England's Division 7-8 for most teams. The best 3-4 teams might get by League Two.

MLS is so bad it doesn't even own the domain mls.com

MLS is so bad its actual url is bad english

MLS is so bad the only TV show it gets referenced on is the boring 'Scream Queens' which made fun of how bad it is...it then gets one of its stars to sing the US national anthem at the MLS Cup

MLS is so bad it took me 5 minutes to be better at MLS dissing than @Mister215Guy

RE Marsch going to Austria: Why the hell would they dump their current coach sitting 2nd two points off half way through the season?

Unless they were going to bring the RBS coach, Oscar Garcia, to NY, and do a sort of trade. 

As is I am pretty sure they'll win the Austrian league again, but the change of coaches could benefit RBNY, Oscar is a good young coach and has a huge upside, he was doing well at Brighton but quit because of a health scare (just today he is rumoured to be in line for Notts Forest). 

But I wonder: what team is more valuable to the brand, the one in Europe, ocassionaly playing a Champions early round or Europa Leauge, or the one in the US?

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

RE Marsch going to Austria: Why the hell would they dump their current coach sitting 2nd two points off half way through the season?

I don't think that Salzburg wants to drop its coach. We see Garcia rumoured at many clubs. So, they're trying to be ready in case that happens.

I will say one thing ..... the European leagues need to adopt playoffs. It's January and Chelsea is going to win the EPL. Nobody outside of Hull cares if Hull stays up or not. Stoke and Bournemouth and the other midtable teams have started their yearly indifferent sleepwalk. I keep reading that the Euro system encourages teams to play hard at all times. Watching this weekend, I don't see that at all. 

8 hours ago, One American said:

I will say one thing ..... the European leagues need to adopt playoffs. It's January and Chelsea is going to win the EPL. Nobody outside of Hull cares if Hull stays up or not. Stoke and Bournemouth and the other midtable teams have started their yearly indifferent sleepwalk. I keep reading that the Euro system encourages teams to play hard at all times. Watching this weekend, I don't see that at all. 

Their playoffs is the Champions League. It's way more exciting that way.

Sure catching Chelsea is a long shot "sorry Dyslexic:D" but they try to make the top 5 of the table. Top 4 goes to Champions league and #5 to Europa League.

If anything, CONCACAF needs to seriously make that competition matter more and with FIFA planning a 32 team Clubs World Cup, it might finally make all the Champions Leagues around the world matter.

On 16/01/2017 at 11:00 PM, One American said:

Have playoffs and pro/rel

And unicorns :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 3:50 AM, Grizzly said:

Mister215Guy is undoubtedly a jealous Premiership fan who can't accept that the excitement and beautiful play of Columbus versus Kansas City has so far surpassed that of Chelsea against Liverpool. Of course once Chelsea realizes the errors of its big money ways and signs a few Canadians like Ricketts and Ledgerwood they might catch up! With only one semi-Canadian player in its ranks the Premiership level of play has really regressed.

Why would I be jealous of a league with the quality of England's Division 7/8? Chelsea or Liverpool can play blindfolded and beat Kansas City 10-0. MLS sucks, face it. Anyone who supports or defends the league doesn't know soccer. 

And to answer the OP, nobody in the world respects MLS beside clueless Americans who don't know better and admit that there are 100+ leagues ahead of MLS. If you're a real soccer fan or want to learn about the game, you shouldn't follow MLS other than to condescend it.

Archived