League1 Ontario general news thread

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Is there anyone in there you'd trust though? I can see taking teams right after they got desanctioned or the season after, but if you've been operating in a league under investigation by the RCMP, I think L1O will steer clear.

It's also pretty sketchy that they just had a team fold, and a new team magically appears in its place without any announcements...almost like half the clubs are owned through proxies by a gambling ring or something.

It also seems like they have more than enough expansion interest at this point, and are getting choosier who they accept from legitimate bids

In your third paragraph, is the "they" referring to L1O or CSL? Sounds like L1O, but curious if CSL is still garnering expansion interest.

I'm stoked that North Toronto won 5-1 today. Hopefully they put the game on YouTube.

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

In your third paragraph, is the "they" referring to L1O or CSL? Sounds like L1O, but curious if CSL is still garnering expansion interest.

I'm stoked that North Toronto won 5-1 today. Hopefully they put the game on YouTube.

100% L1O. My understanding is that they are now restricting it to one expansion team per year. IIRC it was in a press release at some point that they wanted to slow expansion to make sure they had quality clubs instead of pure quantity

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

100% L1O. My understanding is that they are now restricting it to one expansion team per year. IIRC it was in a press release at some point that they wanted to slow expansion to make sure they had quality clubs instead of pure quantity

What I read, that presumably you are alluding to, is that they are saying a new club can't put in a new men's team and a new women's team in the same year. It's to protect the new clubs from jumping in too quickly, rather than to slow the growth of the league itself.

Just now, Kent said:

What I read, that presumably you are alluding to, is that they are saying a new club can't put in a new men's team and a new women's team in the same year. It's to protect the new clubs from jumping in too quickly, rather than to slow the growth of the league itself.

I read that too, but separately. That said, I'm having a hard time finding the source, so there's always the possibility I misunderstood something.

20 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I recall asking Dino about that on Twitter, and he said TFC3 wasn't eligible.  It would go to the second-place team if they won.

Have we gotten any clarification yet on how the "second place" team would be determined? First place is determined by having a playoff between the champions of each conference. But if TFC III is the champion of the Western Conference, what do they do? I believe Dino said there wouldn't be a playoff between 1st in the East and 2nd in the West. So would they just give it to the team with the most points in the season? Or would they just give it to the team that finishes 1st in the East? Maybe I should just tag @VPjr and see if he pops up with a response here. It seems like anything short of a playoff between the top Voyageurs Cup eligible team from each conference isn't fair.

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Have we gotten any clarification yet on how the "second place" team would be determined? First place is determined by having a playoff between the champions of each conference. But if TFC III is the champion of the Western Conference, what do they do? I believe Dino said there wouldn't be a playoff between 1st in the East and 2nd in the West. So would they just give it to the team with the most points in the season? Or would they just give it to the team that finishes 1st in the East? Maybe I should just tag @VPjr and see if he pops up with a response here. It seems like anything short of a playoff between the top Voyageurs Cup eligible team from each conference isn't fair.

I believe he said it would go to the eastern conference champ when I asked him on Twitter.

5 hours ago, Toje said:

It is fantastic that League 1  Ontario has full games archieved on youtube, but I wish they wouldn't put the score on the videos when you click on the link.  I would rather watch the games without knowning the scores in advance....

I agree, although to somewhat contradict you, it would be nice if there was a way to see (like hidden under a "more info" button) the times on the video of all the goals, for the games you are interested in seeing highlights, but don't have the time to watch it all. I hope to watch the full North Toronto game from the weekend, but for other games I would be interested in seeing the goals, so if I could choose to expand more info and see that if I go to 15:34, 43:50, and 1:10:20 to see the goals, that would be helpful.

Of course it would be great to have a graphic on screen to show the score (and that would make it possible to hunt for just the goals), but that obviously would be much harder than what I'm asking for.

11 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I believe he said it would go to the eastern conference champ when I asked him on Twitter.

That's not very fair for the teams in the West, but thanks for the info. Hopefully TFC III doesn't win it so we can send a true champion.

OK, this probably doesn't quite qualify as L1O news, but they seem to be upping their video game this year. Most (all?) of the games from last weekend are available on youtube, and they have even put together a highlight package for the weekend as well.

Some of the highlights are not goals (which is great) but some of the ones that are goals it's unclear to me who they've named. They show a name, and then a highlight. Is the name of the guy that did the impressive thing? Or the guy that finished the play? I hope it's whoever did the impressive thing, but one of them was a pretty good team goal (I think by Master's). It would be great if they had some sort of way of showing the viewer who the named player is on the video. I watched it without sound but I am assuming there isn't any kind of commentary.

Hopefully they keep putting out highlight packages like this though!

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Has me worried about the future of L1O - I doubt anyone will put as much effort into it as he does.  It's his baby, after all.

Yep, with all that time and effort put into L1O, I can't imagine Mr Rossi would not have sought out some trusted people to take over.  No point being president if your top developmental league starts to fail.

Wonder whether he will share his plans for the presidency as part of his candidacy.  Interested to see his ideas and what he would do differently.

http://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/802652?referrer_id=2958561

Looks like it is Rossi vs Smale for OSA President

Those a little more plugged into OSA politics, do you think Rossi getting elected would bring SAAC back into the fold a bit more?

Also, not to speak against the association I grew up playing under, but Durham really has a stranglehold on all the positions, most going uncontested. Doesn't really do much in terms of bringing diverse new voices or any vision to the offices

Edited by Complete Homer

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really know anything about Smale, but this will be his 5th term (2 year terms I think?) and he still hasn't managed to unite the province. Does anybody that knows the situation better think he can ever be the guy that gets things organized into a single stream rather than the current fractured, club vs academies system we have?

55 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't really know anything about Smale, but this will be his 5th term (2 year terms I think?) and he still hasn't managed to unite the province. Does anybody that knows the situation better think he can ever be the guy that gets things organized into a single stream rather than the current fractured, club vs academies system we have?

I believe his campaign for the CSA presidency was essentially "we need to let the provinces do their own thing", so I wouldn't hold my breath in expecting him to unite diddly squat.

Here's the PLSQ All-star team that will play in the L1O all-star game. One major thing you notice is the absence of AS Blainville players and coaches that has won its first 6 matches. I don't know the reason why though. 

Gardiens de but : Gabard Fenelon (FCL), Horace Patient Sobze Zemo (FCG)

Défenseurs centraux : Bila Dicko-Raynauld (FCG), Cheick Chamsdine Badiane (CSL), Renan Dias Manini (CSMRO)

Défenseurs à gauche : Kevin Cossette (DQC), Diego Politis (FCG)

Défenseurs à droite : Riccardo Teoli (CSMRO)

Milieux défensifs : Michael McIntyre (FCL), Yannick Damian Toker (CSMRO)

Milieux offensifs : Samuel Georget (DQC), Sean Rosa (CSMRO)

Ailiers droits : Zie Mohamed Dagnogo (FCG), Mitchel Syla (FCL)

Ailiers gauches : Kevin Amourette (CSL), Dalin Saheb (CSSH)

Attaquants : Frederico Moojen (CSMRO), Dex Kaniki (CSL), Berlin Jean-Gilles (FCL)

• 3 weeks later...