League1 Ontario general news thread

5 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Didn't someone post something in the past about L1O teams having one of two options?  Either amateur status ($0 on player salary) or semi-pro status ($40k+ on player salary)?

The governing documents said the rules for paid players were either 0, or a minimum of 5 players earning a minimum amount (2k I think?) with a maximum total of 40k

So... I'd bet the rules were (reasonably) changed for the upcoming season to facilitate extra quality with TFC II fully becoming the U20 team. Hopefully it pushes some of the more competitive teams to start spending a bit too

1 hour ago, Kent said:

This game was mentioned in the Ottawa Fury thread, but a team of L1O all-stars played against the Fury a couple days ago and lost 4-2. Here's an article about the game from the L1O site.

http://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/771293?referrer_id=2309049

Four of those players from the L1O squad weren't in the league last year - Jonathan Grant, Joseph Zupo, Guiliano Frano, Emmanuel Esho

Any ideas where they came from?

Mostly the USL. Jonathan Grant was called up a Canada camp under Benito once.

Frano was last with Whitecaps 2 and before that Sounders 2. Grant I believe was at Swope Park but before that FC Montreal. Zupo and Eshe are newish names but I feel like Zupo was around the USL once too.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

Zupo and Eshe are newish names but I feel like Zupo was around the USL once too.

Neither of them are new or USL actually. Zupo played in Australia last year but was Durham's captain before that and Esho played for Woodbridge in 2015, but I don't know where he was last year.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kent said:

Article about League1 Ontario players that have moved on to pro clubs in Europe.

http://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/762897?referrer_id=2309049

The article mentions that there have now been 72 players that have signed pro contracts from L1O. They say just under half of those 72 players have gone to Europe.

That's great and all but Sweden needs to stop stealing all our players before CPL starts.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering why the L1Ontario league does not include assists in their stats? It's one their webpage......Would think at that level that this would be recorded as in other top tier leagues, doesn't seem quite right for someone trying to be a "Pro-Am" league? Seeing as L1Ontario was/is to replace PDL. It's the assists that are some of the most beautiful things of a play.

1 hour ago, TheOtherGuy said:

Just wondering why the L1Ontario league does not include assists in their stats? It's one their webpage......Would think at that level that this would be recorded as in other top tier leagues, doesn't seem quite right for someone trying to be a "Pro-Am" league? Seeing as L1Ontario was/is to replace PDL. It's the assists that are some of the most beautiful things of a play.

Yeah, I really wish they would have assists on their website too.

I'd also like to be able to look up previous season standings. I just found by accident in a very weird spot last season's standings, only one conference at a time when viewing a team page. I don't know of any way to find 2015 or 2014 standings on their website (I always have to resort to using wikipedia for that info). They also don't seem to carry over player stats from season to season. Like, I'm pretty sure Oscar Cordon played more than just 2016 for Woodbridge, but I can only find his stats for 2016. It would also be good if you could actually search by players, ideally past and present. For past players it would be a nice little bonus if their page said where they went to after L1O, even if they don't have their stats in those teams. They seem to be tracking that information with all of the articles they write about players that have moved on to pro teams, so it would be nice to see that on player profile pages.

The website has improved over the years, but still a lot of improvements could be made.

Another article from the Pro Directions series the L1O website has been doing. This one is focusing on where the players that have moved on to pro opportunities started their youth soccer. Not surprisingly, Brampton is the number 1 community in terms of number of players moved from L1O on to pro teams.

http://www.league1ontario.com/news_article/show/784864?referrer_id=2309049

Here is the list of players that have signed contracts, and their first registered clubs.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0122/9830/Pro_List_-_development_tracker.pdf

13 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Also interesting to see what they would do with TFC III in the V-Cup if they won the league. Seems like combining the L1O and PDL team has made it very strong, trounced FC London 6-0 in the opener

I recall asking Dino about that on Twitter, and he said TFC3 wasn't eligible.  It would go to the second-place team if they won.

Some surprising results so far - I would've expected Woodbridge to win against Masters by a much easier margin.

12 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Good point - I wonder if we'll see some interest from CSL teams during the off-season.

Is there anyone in there you'd trust though? I can see taking teams right after they got desanctioned or the season after, but if you've been operating in a league under investigation by the RCMP, I think L1O will steer clear.

It's also pretty sketchy that they just had a team fold, and a new team magically appears in its place without any announcements...almost like half the clubs are owned through proxies by a gambling ring or something.

It also seems like they have more than enough expansion interest at this point, and are getting choosier who they accept from legitimate bids

Edited by Complete Homer