Canadians abroad: April 29 - May 5, 2016

DJT

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By almost all accounts Petrasso had a very good match and the fans expect to see much more of him next season, they say the team was not as strong once Petrasso and Hoilett were subbed off! I haven't seen the match yet, I will watch it tomorrow and form my own opinion!

8 minutes ago, gator said:

By almost all accounts Petrasso had a very good match and the fans expect to see much more of him next season, they say the team was not as strong once Petrasso and Hoilett were subbed off! I haven't seen the match yet, I will watch it tomorrow and form my own opinion!

BBC called Petrasso impressive in the live feed.

So looks like Petrasso stays at QPR in the Championship next year and will probably see more minutes. 

Arfield back in the premier league with Burnley and will probably see significant minutes. 

What's the latest on Hoilett? Is Besiktas still a thing? Or a mid table Bundesliga team? 

Elva has gotten back in the lineup for VfB Stuttgart 2 after an absence of almost 2 months (not sure if he was injured or did not play for other reasons). He came in as a 66th minute sub last week in a 1-0 loss against Energie Cottbus and played 90 minutes Saturday in another 1-0 loss against Kiel. With the loss to Kiel they are relegated to the 4th division next year. The first team of VfB is in a relegation spot which is surprising since they are one of Germany's wealthiest clubs and have not been relegated since the mid 70s but if they don't get themselves out of relegation in the last two games (and they lost 6-2 this week to another surprising fellow relegation candidate Werder Bremen), playing in the 2nd Bundesliga might provide more 1st team opportunity for Elva than if they stay in the 1st.

I think the issues might be related here. Often when a second team is in trouble, the first team sends some reinforcements so they can stay in the league. But as the first team is in deep trouble (and have been for some years now, technically something is not right in Stuttgart), they need all the help they can get. 

For Elva, this could prove to be beneficial as you mention. But we should also be fair and conclude that he hasn't been tearing it up so far in the 3. Liga. 

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Elva has gotten back in the lineup for VfB Stuttgart 2 after an absence of almost 2 months (not sure if he was injured or did not play for other reasons). He came in as a 66th minute sub last week in a 1-0 loss against Energie Cottbus and played 90 minutes Saturday in another 1-0 loss against Kiel. With the loss to Kiel they are relegated to the 4th division next year. The first team of VfB is in a relegation spot which is surprising since they are one of Germany's wealthiest clubs and have not been relegated since the mid 70s but if they don't get themselves out of relegation in the last two games (and they lost 6-2 this week to another surprising fellow relegation candidate Werder Bremen), playing in the 2nd Bundesliga might provide more 1st team opportunity for Elva than if they stay in the 1st.

He was injured. 

13 hours ago, shamrock said:

I think the issues might be related here. Often when a second team is in trouble, the first team sends some reinforcements so they can stay in the league. But as the first team is in deep trouble (and have been for some years now, technically something is not right in Stuttgart), they need all the help they can get. 

For Elva, this could prove to be beneficial as you mention. But we should also be fair and conclude that he hasn't been tearing it up so far in the 3. Liga. 

He hasn't tore up the 3. Liga but in the games I watched he hasn't looked out of place either which is pretty good for a 19 year old. His Kicker ratings are decent given that Kicker marks very hard: http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/3liga/vereine/3-liga/2015-16/vfb-stuttgart-ii-1293/88402/spieler_caniggia-elva.html

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

He hasn't tore up the 3. Liga but in the games I watched he hasn't looked out of place either which is pretty good for a 19 year old. His Kicker ratings are decent given that Kicker marks very hard: http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/3liga/vereine/3-liga/2015-16/vfb-stuttgart-ii-1293/88402/spieler_caniggia-elva.html

Yikes, are those ratings out of 10?

30 minutes ago, aloyol said:

No, (1) is the best you can get (very rare and you need an exceptional performance) and (6) is given for a terrible performance.

Yes and Kicker marks very hard so 2/2,5 is very good, 3/3.5 good, 4/4.5 average and 5, 5.5 and 6 are bad by Kicker's standards. Above 2 is rare from Kicker.

On 5/2/2016 at 1:45 AM, Grizzly said:

Medford must be an even bigger idiot than Floro for not playing him!!! ;)

On a more serious note, Cornelius scored today in the Lubeck's U19 3-2 victory over Blumenthaler SV in the German youth league 2nd division. Despite all the interest in Cornelius from good senior clubs Lubeck decided to keep him in the U19 squad not the senior club even though if he is good enough for a serious trial with Russian and Norwegian 1st division teams he would definitely be good enough to play in the 4th division. I am not sure the reason for this but there are several possibilities, there may be advantages in eventual transfer fees keeping him as a youth player (not an expert on transfer rules so not sure but it is a possibility), they may think he will benefit more playing against younger but more gifted players than the older less skilled adult journeymen in the 4th division, they may be worried about possible injury hurting their investment in him in the rough 4th division, by the time he got his licence the senior team was not really in a promotion position while their youth team is a possibility to promote to the 1st division youth league so that may be more important to the club than the 1st team (though their 1st team are not entirely out of relegation danger). 

Haha

Prior to the Verano, Herediano signed 3 experienced players, and Medford plays a different formation. It's unfortunate cause the last manager used him a lot.

Two Canadian goalies started in net on Monday in the Swedish Allsvenkan. Vaikla started for Norrkoping and Chencinski started for Heisinborg. Norrkoping won 3-0. Vaikla has played the last two games for them, who are currently in first place. Chencinski has played four games this year for his mid table side.

We need to get Vaikla to play for us. A 19 year old 6'5" goalie playing first division in Sweden. 

Simeon Jackson scored off the bench in a 3-1 win. Petrasso & Hoilett subbed on in 67th and 59th minute in 1-0 win where QPR scored after in the 63rd. And Burnley won the league in a 1-0 win!

44 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Simeon Jackson scored off the bench in a 3-1 win. Petrasso & Hoilett subbed on in 67th and 59th minute in 1-0 win where QPR scored after in the 63rd. And Burnley won the league in a 1-0 win!

Solid day for Canadians in the Championship. To add to Canta's post. Airfield started and was subbed off in the 74th.

On 5/6/2016 at 7:59 PM, Complete Homer said:

Canucks Abroad tweeted that the announcement got delayed a week. Hopefully that means we learn in a day or two

On 5/6/2016 at 7:16 PM, Coramoor said:

what ever happened with the guy who was supposed to sign for Liverpool on may 1st

Sorry who? link?

Archived