MLS Police State

Grizzly

1 minute ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Ha talk about short wick. I was just curious as I always found supporters in mls to be very different to England. I was just looking for another view point. 

The lower league police state raises its head, then hides---but I'll close my eyes and keep chanting, not going to stop me, I'll even say "one two free four" if I haff to. Love it.

On 10 June, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I just want to say I get along with and really respect personally certain people who are doing this. It is their choice, and I think there is so little committment to serious supporter groups, thinking of Canada, we have to take it all and not be ultra-choosy. If I can, and I will in a month when I am there, this summer I will be in some of those sections at Caps. All power to them.

It bothers me more if the whole stadium cannot see a ref is shafting the team and no one reacts, or when a stadium stays quiet instead of groaning when a player misses an easy pass on a dangerous attacking play.

So I prefer not to criticize directly, personally, or drop out entirely (except when my old body can't take standing).  I have sat and even stood in many a supporter section and chanted and repeated stuff I really did not get into, for me mediocre chants even, or all that over-obedience to English lower league clichés, just to be part, to support, and have fun. Lately because of the music I listen to I make up a lot of R&B and soul and even rap chants, chants in my head (I suppose others do this), but I am pretty sure our overly WASP (or marching band or Maypole dancing) culture in Canada would never give the time of day if I proposed them. But who cares? I have never felt compromised being one of the mob or blending in, because I don't think my individual identity and human integrity is at all compromised by joining a soccer supporter group and joining in, even though I would prefer for it to be another way, a way I identify with more.

Yes, it is their choice, but they've driven people away from home matches.  I'm not being ultra-choosy.  The atmosphere at Swangard was better.  The chants were reactions to what was going on in the game, and there weren't drums drowning out any efforts to support the team.  What we have now is a huge step backwards from when the attendance was only 6,000 - 7,000.

"It bothers me more if the whole stadium cannot see a ref is shafting the team and no one reacts, or when a stadium stays quiet instead of groaning when a player misses an easy pass on a dangerous attacking play."   This is my point.  The people who are leading the chants now, as I mentioned before, have their backs to the game for 90 minutes and just repeat the same chants over and over again that have nothing at all to do with what's going on.

On 17/6/2016 at 3:48 PM, SuperCanuck said:

"It bothers me more if the whole stadium cannot see a ref is shafting the team and no one reacts, or when a stadium stays quiet instead of groaning when a player misses an easy pass on a dangerous attacking play."   This is my point.  The people who are leading the chants now, as I mentioned before, have their backs to the game for 90 minutes and just repeat the same chants over and over again that have nothing at all to do with what's going on.

We get this at Barça now, but for futsal and basketball, but especially the first. There is this self important group, Dracs, all dressed in yellow who make like they are the players' friends and real supporters, who make a racket, constantly, regardless of what is going on, drown out the more attuned crowd noise since fans know how to pressure refs and rivals, and it is damn irritating. You have to sit away from them, and yes, ocassionally you join in. Like maybe 6 of the sixty things they churn out any old way each game.

Supporter culture: we thought it was chanting and making a noise to be supportive, to not let the rival make more noise. When it is just as much getting everyone into the match in a way that the players feel supported always, but in function of what is going on, intelligently.

Archived