Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ

Admin

On August 19, 2016 at 10:33 PM, canta15 said:

Like we stated before the draw for this qualifying stage occured, St Vincent would give everyone points not just us. Also we had a group of Honduras, Panama and Cuba last cycle. What happened?

Like in my example, there were three teams that had a shot to advance, and we were the team that didn't. That's what happened. Having a higher seeding guarantees a team nothing, but it slants the odds in their favour. That was my point and the 2014 cycle doesn't disprove that.

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canada needed to be 18th in the world to get a top three seed.  At the time of the draw, they were 122nd.

If someone is actually going to claim the match against El Salvador 'matters' if we get trounced by Honduras because of FIFA points they are being...well, obtuse.

38 minutes ago, canta15 said:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2016/m=8/news=punyed-seeking-points-in-concacaf-struggle-2824040.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news

El Salvador midfielder Pablo Punyed on their upcoming matches against Mexico and Canada

"Punyed refuses to be cowed by the big names he will face, or by the weight of history for that matter. “We have enough quality to beat Mexico at home. We’ve really worked for this and will show we’re capable of making it to the next phase. That means first getting a good result at home, then finishing the job in Canada,” he insisted."

On 8/31/2016 at 4:46 PM, ted said:

Is there going to be the CSA-sponsored gathering the night before the game again?

Yes/No.  We talked about it, it will be an ad hoc thing that will be done... to put it bluntly... depending on tomorrow. 

Either way we will get together, it's just a question of scale and location

Assuming El Salvador doesn't win against Mexico tonight and that Mexico will win by at least one goal against Honduras, this would mean we need a 5-0 win over El Salvador.

Is this completely impossible to do at home against an indifferent El Salvador squad? 

The strategy for this game will be to try to score as many goals as we can. Don't care about the Mexico-Honduras game, just assume Mexico will win, then try to score early against El Salvador and keep going.

3 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Assuming El Salvador doesn't win against Mexico tonight and that Mexico will win by at least one goal against Honduras, this would mean we need a 5-0 win over El Salvador.

Is this completely impossible to do at home against an indifferent El Salvador squad? 

The strategy for this game will be to try to score as many goals as we can. Don't care about the Mexico-Honduras game, just assume Mexico will win, then try to score early against El Salvador and keep going.

4-0 win and 1-0 honduras loss would see us through

Just now, aloyol said:

Unfortunately, I don't see us getting a clean sheet vs El Salvador if we have to put the pedal down to get goals.  

4 minutes ago, canta15 said:

FFS stop playing Akindele and Ricketts as midfielders and use 2 strikers

If you're replying to me, Ricketts is as a striker

... If you're talking about Floro, then yeah, next game for sure. However, that wasn't our problem today. We got scored against in a counter attack. If we were properly parking  the bus, it wouldn't have happened. 

Just now, Complete Homer said:

If you're replying to me, Ricketts is as a striker

... If you're talking about Floro, then yeah, next game for sure. However, that wasn't our problem today. We got scored against in a counter attack. If we were properly parking  the bus, it wouldn't have happened. 

I was not talking to you. And my point is players would be more productive in their proper positions

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What are we hopping for with Mexico v El Salvador? Mexico crushes them so they're completely demoralized?

A not so good Mexico performance would be good for us IMO. Like a tie or a one goal win in an unconvincing way.

They would want to perform well against Honduras at home after a so-so result. 

Just posted in other thread . Crazy atmosphere there right now. Respect to El Salvador going for it. They must think they can win out. Played guns a blazing first 10 mins. Mexicans looked lost and disorganized but slowly starting to put it together. A small Mexican win or tie is perfect . An el Salvador victory  would be a disaster..... as they could beat us and advance still .

57 minutes ago, king1010 said:

4-0 win and 1-0 honduras loss would see us through

Correct. In this scenario. We'd still be tied with Honduras on GD at -1 and we would end up winning all the way down at tie-breaker #7 away goals (James' header in the first half!). However, change the above scenario to 4-0 win and 2-1 honduras loss, and Honduras goes thru on tie-breakder #3 goals scored

At least that's the way I read it ....

Tie Breakers (from Wikipedia)

1. Points (3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss)
  2. Goal difference
  3. Goals scored
  4. Points in matches between tied teams
  5. Goal difference in matches between tied teams
  6. Goals scored in matches between tied teams
  7. Away goals scored in matches between tied teams (if the tie is only between two teams)
  8. Play-off match(es) on neutral ground (if approved by FIFA Organizing Committee), with extra time and penalty shoot-out if necessary

3 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Yup & because proper tactics have been installed since youth levels. I could see them holding on, park the bus with proper counter attack, while staying FOCUSED. El Salvador by far superior team in this match.

Anybody got a stream to this game ?

Archived