Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ

Admin

33 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Wishful thinking but here is the other reason I am encouraged if it comes down to a win over El Salvador at the end. El Salvador have a historic grudge against Honduras and they will want to ensure Honduras is eliminated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War

Sort of like Lazio purosely losing to Inter on purpose in the 2009-10 season so Roma wouldn't win it

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2016 at 4:59 PM, jpg75 said:

Hmmm and they do have a recent history of match fixing....lets start a fundraising campaign to pay off the El Salvador players and staff...

Said in jest of course, but if we have to pay El Salvador off to beat them at home, I will be taking another 8-1esque hiatus from supporting the CMNT.

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Said in jest of course, but if we have to pay El Salvador off to beat them at home, I will be taking another 8-1esque hiatus from supporting the CMNT.

Not to just beat them, to beat them by at least 4 goals...

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

You talk like a fair-weather fan. In England we call people like you plastic fans: no commitment, no passion, and only show up when the team is winning. I'm a little bit surprised to find plastic fans on this forum.

Like I said before. WE LIVE IN CANADA. NOT ENGLAND. You get a lot of plastics here (btw the term is popular here too). Expect this game to be less attended if we lose in Honduras. Also, like I said before I am not speaking for myself but for the fair weather fans that were responsible for giving Canada an attendance record when they played Mexico

On 12/08/2016 at 8:09 PM, dsqpr said:

You live in Canada? Shocker! So do I!

Not sure why you are working so hard on behalf of the plastic fans if you aren't one of them. Only plastic fans would call a WCQ match meaningless. Go watch some badminton or wash your hair along with the other plastics instead of supporting your team. The rest of us will wake you up when we win a few so that you can jump back on the bandwagon!

Ah yes, if only we got rid of all the "plastics" out there. Then we could go back to the glory days, like before the 2012 Olympics when the WNT regularly drew less than 10k fans to home games (23 out of 33 games with attendances listed on canadasoccer.com). Things were so much better back then. Now we have to deal with having home crowds averaging 29,438, or 19,966 if you don't want to include World Cup games.

Plastics are ruining our game!

Every team has plastic fans. Just accept them. Thanks for calling me one though, I found it rather amusing that a plastic fan would be a regular contributor to this forum. This will be my last statement as I also believe this conversation should be brought back onto topic.

17 minutes ago, hulkrogan said:

Hell, in the scheme of things I live "close" to Vancouver, but it's still a $1000 ordeal to go see a game. Yes, I'm going to pick my spots. $1000 for a night out isn't trivial. It has nothing to do with how much I love/support the team.

You're about the money? The money is plastic in Canada so you're definitely a plastic fan. When dsqpr was in the UK or went to see the CMNT in Edmonton the money was paper, so definitely not a plastic fan. Science.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Well, I guess this topic isn't as tedious as grizzly thinks as lots of people seem keen to chime in!

Nothing wrong with picking your spots, I certainly do. But when you call a WCQ match meaningless, which is my only objection in this discussion in spite of some of the nonsense posted above, you are not only displaying your ignorance (at the very least it counts for FIFA ranking points), but also a distinct lack of passion for your team.

It appears "meaningless" was the wrong term. I mean't to say "extremely little meaning"

On August 16, 2016 at 4:53 PM, dsqpr said:

It counts for FIFA ranking points and FIFA rankings affect seedings. Why are you being so obtuse?

Fifa rankings don't matter. And when has seeding ever affected us? Low ranking= play against some terrible Caribbean team. Big deal

On 17/08/2016 at 10:15 PM, canta15 said:

Fifa rankings don't matter. And when has seeding ever affected us? Low ranking= play against some terrible Caribbean team. Big deal

FIFA rankings do matter, and seeding always affects us (and everybody really). Whether it makes the ultimate difference between qualification or not is a different story. If, hypothetically speaking, we had been one of the top 3 seeds for 2018 qualifying, we wouldn't have Mexico in our group, and would have gotten a low seeded team drawn into our group instead. Perhaps, St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Then instead of fighting for one spot with Honduras and El Salvador, we would be fighting for one of 2 spots. Right there, that doubles our chances (not mathematically, but realistically with the assumption Mexico would definitely advance, and St. Vincent would definitely not advance).

On 8/17/2016 at 2:46 AM, Ghonj said:

When are tickets being distributed for this match?

Final sales are on August 28th, I will start distributing them on the 29th. 

So people can still add tickets and I can consolidate the orders.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

FIFA rankings do matter, and seeding always affects us (and everybody really). Whether it makes the ultimate difference between qualification or not is a different story. If, hypothetically speaking, we had been one of the top 3 seeds for 2018 qualifying, we wouldn't have Mexico in our group, and would have gotten a low seeded team drawn into our group instead. Perhaps, St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Then instead of fighting for one spot with Honduras and El Salvador, we would be fighting for one of 2 spots. Right there, that doubles our chances (not mathematically, but realistically with the assumption Mexico would definitely advance, and St. Vincent would definitely not advance).

Like we stated before the draw for this qualifying stage occured, St Vincent would give everyone points not just us. Also we had a group of Honduras, Panama and Cuba last cycle. What happened?

Archived