Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ

Admin

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

People are "dwelling" because it appears the program isn't learning. We drew Honduras at home 0-0 in 2012 and that missed opportunity cost us advancing to the Hex. We repeated our mistake. Big teams don't let mistakes go unpunished.

So since we are facing Honduras we should be fine ;)

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, canta15 said:

So since we are facing Honduras we should be fine ;)

I'm talking about teams we'd face in the Hex. If we're competing with Costa Rica for 3rd place we have to start winning games we usually draw. But, we have to get there first and jokes aside a draw in Honduras is not going to be easy.

By no means I want Canada to get a bad result in Honduras but I would love to see Canada on the attack needing goals for once. With the likes of akindele, Larin, junior, Johnson and Arfield all going forward that would be fun to watch 

45 minutes ago, Ngravs9 said:

By no means I want Canada to get a bad result in Honduras but I would love to see Canada on the attack needing goals for once. With the likes of akindele, Larin, junior, Johnson and Arfield all going forward that would be fun to watch 

I think we will need to score goals against El Salvador even if we managed a tie in Honduras.

At 5 pts each, goal differential is the first tiebreaker and Honduras would go through. So, we should try to score as many goals as possible just to get the tiebreaker on our side in the case of an improbable Honduras win in Mexico.

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

I think we will need to score goals against El Salvador even if we managed a tie in Honduras.

At 5 pts each, goal differential is the first tiebreaker and Honduras would go through. So, we should try to score as many goals as possible just to get the tiebreaker on our side in the case of an improbable Honduras win in Mexico.

Realistically, unless we win in Honduras, we will need some help from Mexico on the final match day.

2 hours ago, aloyol said:

I agree but I think if in that scenario, Honduras playing in Mexico where a win is hard to get floro would bunker down looking to get 1 goal to get the win or draw hoping Honduras loses. I pray it doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised

This thread is making me depressed and I refuse to even look at the Honduras one.  All this talk of needing to score 4-5 goals to win a tie breaker..not in a whole year but just 1 game!!!  My wife heard me grumbling to myself the other day and asked me "What do you have against honduras??"  I may lose it before september.  

On 26/07/2016 at 9:19 PM, dsqpr said:

I've never understood the apparently sizable group of fans who disdain matches once we can no longer qualify.

To be fair, everyone has priorities, and this is just a matter of thresholds. Not all matches are created equal, and not all fans prioritize the team/sport the same amount.

To invent an extreme example, I think you would agree that if in some dream world scenario Canada was playing in the World Cup Final (like, THE final) that would be a more important game than a closed door friendly. I'm sure you would do everything you could, and spare no expense in order to get yourself to that game for a chance to see Canada win the World Cup, but you might take a rain check on that friendly in Denmark against Tajikistan.

Someone that is less passionate about the CMNT than you might be more passionate about other things than you are, and wonder how anyone in their right mind could miss, I don't know, some Badminton tournament, or opening night of some movie.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Support your team or don't, it's up to you. Go to watch badminton instead if you wish. But a World Cup qualifying fixture is a World Cup qualifying fixture, regardless of the standings in the group.

To you yes but some other people have other priorites and don't want to watcha  meaningless game.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

To you yes but some other people have other priorites and don't want to watcha  meaningless game.

I agree with both sides of this.  I myself do everything I can to attend all the games in Toronto (only missed one since 2008) but I also know how hard it is to get people to commit to going to any game let alone one that may not be overly important if they are new to following or a casual fan. 

8 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I guess that is where we differ. For me, no World Cup qualifting match is "meaningless". The team deserves to be supported for all those matches regardless of standings and we are supposedly the Canadian Supporters group so support your team. That doesn't mean you have to go to every match it just means do what you can.

Do Premier League fans call matches "meaningless" once their team has no chance at the title? NO! Their fans support their team, often magnificently even after the team has been RELEGATED. I just think this group should aspire to the same standard of support.

Well of course for you (and me) each world cup qualifying match has some meaning but for average Canadian fans who don't go on the national Canadian soccer forum on a daily basis it is match where Canada can no longer qualify for the World Cup so what is the point of a watching a WCQ game if you can't even qualify for the World Cup. In Europe they have much more dedicated fans. Toronto FC experiences a loss of attendance when they can no longer make the playoffs.

Also you can't just compare the country with the second highest attendance in Europe to us. Sure thats what we should strive for but we are nowhere near that level of commitment in this country.

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎27 at 5:54 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Floro will go for 0-0 in Honduras. Book it.

So I expect a 1-0 or 2-0 loss. Not horrible, but, we can't score...

#shouldhavebeatElSalvadorBteam

Agree with you, Larin's missed header still haunts me. You have to remember Honduras fans are just as frustrated/mad. They were up 2-1 and EL Salvador equalized in the final minutes. However after last cycle, Honduran fans are probably not that worried.

Yes, 3 points up right now would have been amazing.

However, 3 points down right now would have been horrible.

We are tied, is what it is. Go get some redemption in Honduras.

What would give us a better chance Honduras away and El Salvador at home Or Honduras at Home and Mexico away? Personally I think we have the advantage and our destiny is in our hands.. Hot sweaty hands in San Pedro Sula though.. 

Despite the El Salvador result being a sort of repeat from last qualifying round, I'm okay with us having to get a result in Honduras. A team that wants to make a World Cup gets a result when they need to, even if it's an away draw. If we get massacred again in Honduras we'll know once again we're not as close as we think, because good teams also win games they should and don't put themselves in this position. 

So ultimately, if we go out, we'll have deserved it. 

On July 30, 2016 at 2:58 PM, canta15 said:

Well of course for you (and me) each world cup qualifying match has some meaning but for average Canadian fans who don't go on the national Canadian soccer forum on a daily basis it is match where Canada can no longer qualify for the World Cup so what is the point of a watching a WCQ game if you can't even qualify for the World Cup. In Europe they have much more dedicated fans. Toronto FC experiences a loss of attendance when they can no longer make the playoffs.

Also you can't just compare the country with the second highest attendance in Europe to us. Sure thats what we should strive for but we are nowhere near that level of commitment in this country.

One thing not mentioned yet is that the potential "meaningless" game has huge potential for FIFA points which will affect our ranking for years to come.  And that IS something the casual fan always looks at, for better or worse.

59 minutes ago, kingvikingstad said:

Despite the El Salvador result being a sort of repeat from last qualifying round, I'm okay with us having to get a result in Honduras. A team that wants to make a World Cup gets a result when they need to, even if it's an away draw. If we get massacred again in Honduras we'll know once again we're not as close as we think, because good teams also win games they should and don't put themselves in this position. 

So ultimately, if we go out, we'll have deserved it. 

This what I have always maintained quietly anyway.  Until we are a team that isn't terrified to play what is objectively a mediocre-at-best Honduras squad, we don't really have any business in the WC anyway.  Don't get me wrong - I would love to see us play on the big stage assuming we don't completely embarrass ourselves.  But the beauty of the CONCACAF qualification process is that if you don't even make it to the Hex, you have no business griping about not making the big show.  Because a team that can get dismantled 8-1 by Honduras shouldn't be on the same field as the Germans, Spanish or other elite.

22 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Exactly the same as the point of watching a Premier League match when your team can't even qualify for  Europe. As millions of fans do every season because they enjoy watching their team play football.

Fixed your post. Makes more sense since 4 teams qualify for the World Cup. And like i said before others have better priorities than to watch a meaningless game or are too heartbroken from the Honduras loss to care to watch. Also, the casual Canadian fan only choose winning teams and i know some of them began to prioritize other activities over watching that shitshow last season from Chelsea.

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Your "fix" makes no sense because the point of playing in the Premier League is to win it and the winners are given a massive piece of silverware and forever remembered as the Champions of England that year; whereas the point of playing in qualifying is just to qualify and nobody cares or remembers who finished first or second in the third round of CONCACAF qualifying.

But setting aside that no brainer for a moment, you have ignored the most important part of my post: "As millions of fans do every season because they enjoy watching their team play football."

Sure die hard fans like yourself enjoy watching your team play even in the worst of seasons but casual fans have OTHER PRIORITIES. If their team is going to get relegated for sure they won't watch the last few BPL games because MAYBE they have other important matters to attend to or they are frusterated with the team's terrible playstyle. And I made the comparison of qualifying because no team in  the BPL expect to win it (other than ~5) but qualifying for the Europe is still a gread goal. Teams who rarely qualify for Europe see it as a HUGE accomplishment to play teams outside of England for once in their history. I used this comparison because teams still have something to play for even if they don't win the league.

Archived