Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ

Admin

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, canta15 said:

I think we are forgetting that either way the El Salvador game will mean something in terms of world cup qualification. We could lose 8-1 to Honduras again, but that just means we need to beat El Salvador 9-0 while Mexico beats Honduras 9-0, anything is possible. So in reality no matter what, we are entering September 6th with a chance at qualification, no matter how slim it may be

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering what will be Floro approach in case we're loosing by one goal in Honduras late in the game. Should we go all out in front to score a goal and risk to concede another or should we be more cautious knowing goal differential might come into play at the end?

If we win it's probably by lulling the game into a quagmire and scoring late. If we score early they'll attack relentlessly and i don't like our chances of holding on for 70-80 minutes against a desperate Honduran team.

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

I'm wondering what will be Floro approach in case we're loosing by one goal in Honduras late in the game. Should we go all out in front to score a goal and risk to concede another or should we be more cautious knowing goal differential might come into play at the end?

He'll take the latter.

16 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Not sure what I would do but the problem with the latter is that we then need Mexico to do a part of the job for us by winning against Honduras.

I think he'd be willing to take that chance over surrendering too many goals.

15 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think he'd be willing to take that chance over surrendering too many goals.

I agree.   The last thing he would want is an extra goal against costing them the tie breaker.

3 hours ago, michaeltfc91 said:

I think we are forgetting that either way the El Salvador game will mean something in terms of world cup qualification. We could lose 8-1 to Honduras again, but that just means we need to beat El Salvador 9-0 while Mexico beats Honduras 9-0, anything is possible. So in reality no matter what, we are entering September 6th with a chance at qualification, no matter how slim it may be

Sure we would have a slim chance but if we lost 5-0, would casual fans really expect us to win 6-0?

5 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Sure we would have a slim chance but if we lost 5-0, would casual fans really expect us to win 6-0?

I wonder if casual fans worry about that. I guess it depends, some casual fans follow and some aren't considered about anything but watching them play. 

29 minutes ago, Ngravs9 said:

I wonder if casual fans worry about that. I guess it depends, some casual fans follow and some aren't considered about anything but watching them play. 

I'm just saying, just because we still have a chance of advancing if we lose big many fans won't want to see a team who lost by huge margin to Honduras and have a 1% chance of advancing.

46 minutes ago, canta15 said:

If we lose 5-0 in Honduras we would need a win vs. ES and a Honduras loss in Mex. totalling a combined 14 goals to avoid GF tiebreaker or by 13 goals and us scoring 9 or more with Hon not scoring in Mex.

A simpler, more realistic scenario has us lose in Honduras 1-0. We would have 1GF 6GA for -5GD, HON would have 5/5 for 0GD. We would need a min. of 4-0 win plus Hon losing 1-0. Then i think it might go to coin toss if we're both even at 5GF 6GA?

I was just using the scenario michael brought up. what im trying to say is even if we have a slim chance it doesn't mean many casual fans will still show up in comparison to if we got a draw or narrow loss.

2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

A simpler, more realistic scenario has us lose in Honduras 1-0. We would have 1GF 6GA for -5GD, HON would have 5/5 for 0GD. We would need a min. of 4-0 win plus Hon losing 1-0. Then i think it might go to coin toss?

Would Mexico go out with their A team considering their exit at Copa and they are playing at home. If they do maybe we could hope for a 2-0 3-0

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

#shouldhavebeatElSalvadorBteam

While I agree, I think we should keep this for when we are eliminated. At this time we have a team that has enough talent to get a result in Honduras. It will be very difficult but we can do it.

1 minute ago, aloyol said:

While I agree, I think we should keep this for when we are eliminated. At this time we have a team that has enough talent to get a result in Honduras. It will be very difficult but we can do it.

Whether we go through or not, that was exactly the type of game/situation/gift we need to take advantage of if we hope to qualify. Nothing changes.

9 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Whether we go through or not, that was exactly the type of game/situation/gift we need to take advantage of if we hope to qualify. Nothing changes.

It is a game we should have taken advantage of but we can't dwell on the past.  We have a game of major importance coming up and that should be the focus.

12 minutes ago, aloyol said:

While I agree, I think we should keep this IF we are eliminated. At this time we have a team that has enough talent to get a result in Honduras. It will be very difficult but we can do it.

16 minutes ago, JDub said:

It is a game we should have taken advantage of but we can't dwell on the past.  We have a game of major importance coming up and that should be the focus.

People are "dwelling" because it appears the program isn't learning. We drew Honduras at home 0-0 in 2012 and that missed opportunity cost us advancing to the Hex. We repeated our mistake. Big teams don't let mistakes go unpunished.

Archived