Jump to content

Canada vs El Salvador Sept 6th in Vancouver WCQ


admin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Suggesting different formations and player changes for our final match to get more offense going is great but I think our best chance to get the ball in the net is what has worked for us in the past and on Friday. We have to capitalize on corners and dead ball situations. I believe we'll have the height advantage and we have Arfield delivering quality balls into the box. Wouldn't be surprised to see Haber at some point to get on the end of those crosses. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take a step back and really think about it, both matches are really in our favour. Arguably it's our easiest match and Honduras' hardest. It's not inconceivable for both us and Mexico to win, not at all. 

 

I just really hope we come out looking like 3-0 is possible. If we come out and squeak a 1-0 victory and Mexico win 3-0 I'm gonna be much more pissed than if we win 3-0 and Mexico wins 1-0. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, theaub said:

Diez has y'alls covered on the conspiracy theories (with references to Montagliani as CONCACAF president)

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/996791-99/alarma-nombraron-cuarteta-de-jamaica-para-juego-canada-vs-el-salvador

- Mark Geiger is reffing Mexico/Honduras.  Pinto asked CONCACAF for a ref change and was denied.  Geiger gave (sorry, "gave" per the article) Mexico two penalties in their Gold Cup victory over Panama.

- Canada has consistently been getting Caribbean refs for their matches, who are weaker and easier to influence due to the low rankings of their leagues.  References to the two missed penalties on Friday (weirdly no reference to the penalty in Mexico).  Valdin Legister is reffing our match on Tuesday, and since a Jamaican ref (Courtney Campbell) gave Mexico a penalty against Honduras in a match in 2009 that means the Jamaicans are on our side.

I had noted over the many years of chat on this forum that we were constantly disdavantaged whenever we had gotten a ref from central america or Mexico to referee a match involving Canada and a side that region.  I thought that i wasnt being biased when noted that that wasnt the case when ever there was a carribean ref.   I didnt mean that a carribean ref helped us but what that piece is suggesting is that people like me are being biased.  

If this is the result of the new direction at concacaf, then i applaud it.  It makes perfect sence to me to have a carribean ref do the matches involving Canada or the US versus sides from central america.   

i think the sub text and undertones of that articles suggest that we may hev been right all along.  But they dont say it and instead argue the other way. 

Edited by Free kick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another of the many things that irked me last Friday, ten minutes left and there was no desperation to get a goal. Okay, if we'd been hit by another on a counter late, then fine, but still, no sense of a bit of a push to get that last goal, we were unfocused those last minutes. Even from 4-5 of the players, not even all, a final push forward. Where was it?

Same problem here, vs ES, we can go all out and get hit stupidly on a counter and its game over. As is, if we can get up just one, just one, and watch Mexico, we might find ourselves in a position to manage a result that can get us through. I think, though, that ES will be defensive and controlled and try to not be rolled over, so we are going to have to be patient. One early, stay in control, look for another 2nd half. May be enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Another of the many things that irked me last Friday, ten minutes left and there was no desperation to get a goal. Okay, if we'd been hit by another on a counter late, then fine, but still, no sense of a bit of a push to get that last goal, we were unfocused those last minutes. Even from 4-5 of the players, not even all, a final push forward. Where was it?

I dont mean to defend Floro here.  But the reason might be that (due to the goal diff situation), losing by one goal to Honduras is much much more preferable than losing by two goals and having to go home with a minus 6 goal diff or greater.   Pushing forward for that one goal would have exposed Canada at the back.   

This might explain the subbing out of Larin (who also looked gassed) for Ledgerwood.  A fresh and rested Larin for the game versus ES (where goals will be needed) is much more important to have than a tired exhausted or injured Larin. 

 

Edit:. On second thought, draw would have put canada back in the drivers seat.  Maybe yes, it would have been worth it.

Edited by Free kick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I dont mean to defend Floro here.  But the reason might be that (due to the goal diff situation), losing by one goal to Honduras is much much more preferable than losing by two goals and having to go home with a minus 6 goal diff or greater.   Pushing forward for that one goal would have exposed Canada at the back.   

This might explain the subbing out of Larin (who also looked gassed) for Ledgerwood.  A fresh and rested Larin for the game versus ES (where goals will be needed) is much more important to have than a tired exhausted or injured Larin. 

Your explanation for the Ledgerwood and Larin sub had to be it (I pray it is). Hopefully that's the same reason Jackson or haber wasn't subbed on for Larin? It makes sense if Jackson sees the field tomorrow when we need goals. Most people would say put Jackson on for Larin, not Ledgerwood but Floro thinks backwards and must have thought we have a better chance of resting up and destroying El Salvador versus tying Honduras. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we get a quick goal in the first 15 minutes or at least first 30 then there could be a good chance to get a big win

But seeing how we've scored 2 goals in 450 minutes I don't see that happening:lol:

Edited by CUJO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, CUJO said:

If we get a quick goal in the first 15 minutes or at least first 30 then there could be a good chance to get a big win

But seeing how we've scored 2 goals in 450 minutes I don't see that happening:lol:

Yeah I know but how many of those scoring opportunities were wasted with Floroball tactics. Hey everyone it's short corner time! Hell the boys actually took a corner and James nailed it. Was that so hard???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More fun with diez!

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/996952-99/nasralla-honduras-podría-incentivar-económicamente-a-los-salvadoreños

- Honduras should offer 'economic benefits' to the El Salvadoreans for them to play hard against Canada (before anyone gets up in arms, that's not unheard of in North American sports although no one is ever that up front about it).

- The Cuban official was "intimidated" by the presence of Montagliani in the crowd (we made it!) 

- Osorio and Pinto are well acquainted so Osorio won't go too hard on him (this is a believable theory, but is one instance where Floro is extremely useful, since he is also friends with both.  Stephen Hart probably doesn't get the same respect).

- The final line is my favourite and basically says: 'If Canada gets eliminated on Tuesday, very few people in the country will even notice.  But if Honduras is eliminated, it will be a national catastrophe that will affect the daily lives of Hondurans for the next four years'

Edited by theaub
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

More fun with diez!

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/996952-99/nasralla-honduras-podría-incentivar-económicamente-a-los-salvadoreños

- Honduras should offer 'economic benefits' to the El Salvadoreans for them to play hard against Canada (before anyone gets up in arms, that's not unheard of in North American sports although no one is ever that up front about it).

- The Cuban official was "intimidated" by the presence of Montagliani in the crowd (we made it!) 

- Osorio and Pinto are well acquainted so Osorio won't go too hard on him (this is a believable theory, but is one instance where Floro is extremely useful, since he is also friends with both.  Stephen Hart probably doesn't get the same respect).

- The final line is my favourite and basically says: 'If Canada gets eliminated on Tuesday, very few people in the country will even notice.  But if Honduras is eliminated, it will be a national catastrophe that will affect the daily lives of Hondurans for the next four years'

Love the Honduran propaganda machine. Well at least they have people covering it. What do we have? Nothing much from TSN and Sportsnet, a little from MLS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, theaub said:

 The final line is my favourite and basically says: 'If Canada gets eliminated on Tuesday, very few people in the country will even notice.  But if Honduras is eliminated, it will be a national catastrophe that will affect the daily lives of Hondurans for the next four years'

Sad but true..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In an act of supreme masochism, my brother and I will be going to the game on Tuesday!  It should be an exciting game, even IF Floro is super conservative in tactics and line-up. We need the goals and the guys will try hard to get them, Floro be damned. It might be a shi.tshow, but it should be very entertaining.  

Anybody know how many tickets have been sold so far?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...