2016 NWSL Season

shermanator

Figured I would start a new thread for the upcoming season, which begins play this weekend.

Canadians in NWSL are as follows:

FC Kansas City: Desiree Scott

Houston Dash: Janine Beckie, Allysha Chapman

Orlando Pride: Josee Belanger, Kaylyn Kyle

Portland Thorns: Christine Sinclair

Washington Spirit: Stephanie Labbe, Diana Matheson, Shelina Zadorsky

Western New York Flash: Sabrina D'Angelo, Adriana Leon

Interesting article on the pay (or quite frankly, the lack of pay) in NWSL. It's heavily based towards the US WNT but still applies to the 11 we have in the league.

The minimum salary for NWSL's non-USWNT, non-allocated pros is $7,200; the max is $39,700. Team and player salaries are not disclosed by the league or the players, but we know that some teams do not have any players who are paid the max. Most of the league's players require some financial supplementation from other jobs or cash from family and friends to pay their bills, and many stay with host families during the season.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/4/15/11409908/nwsl-2016-season-wages-cap-salary-minimum

• 1 month later...

And her father had died so I'm sure they let her have more time off on the injury than they might have otherwise.  She's played well in the preseason and her 33 minutes.  I wouldn't worry about her.  It will probably prove to be a useful break mentally and physically.

I've watched some games on youtube, and am pleasantly surprised that most of the Canadians have been seeing regular playing times on the teams.  Of course, there aren't the full complement of 16 this year, so maybe the funding has been pulled for players that don't get enough playing time.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Maybe I'm too sensitive, but it seems that the Canadians are the first to be subbed off in every game.  Does anyone have an explanation for this?

It's happening to 2 players more than once: Beckie and Sinclair.  The first one could be explained because she's just starting and is trying to make a hard line-up and the second one was probably due to coming back from an injury

Here's the rundown

Houston

Beckie was the first subbed off 3 times in 5 starts. Plus was a sub twice. 
Chapman got subbed off twice in 7 starts and all happened in the last 10 minutes when the team was down a goal.

Kansas City

Scott has played 90 minutes in all 8 matches . 

Orlando

Bélanger got subbed off 3 times in 9 starts. Only once as the first sub. Kyle has been subbed off 4 times in 6 starts. Only once as the first sub. She's been twice an unused sub and was the first sub once. 

Portland

Sinclair has been the first subbed off twice in 4 starts. I think it has more to do with match fitness than other stuff. 

Washington

Labbé played 90 in 7 of the 8 matches she was available. Zadorsky started all 8. Matheson has started 7 of the 8 matches. And all 3 times she hasn't played the full match, she played at least 85 minutes.

Western New York

D'Angelo started all 6 matches. Leon started 3 matches got subbed off all of them and only once was the first subbed off, was a sub 5 times and a unused sub once.

I guess I was being too sensitive, then.  I had just watched Houston vs Seattle (Beckie and Chapman subbed), and then Orlando vs WNY (Belanger subbed).  I vaguely recalled seeing similar before with Sinclair, Kyle and Leon, although I couldn't say whether they were subbed first or not.  Thanks for compiling these stats!

• 2 months later...

It was nice to see the Canadians playing again after the Olympic break.  Beckie looked good tonight, showing a lot of confidence and making some excellent passes to set up scoring chances.  I think the Olympic tournament did her a lot of good.

• 4 weeks later...

2016 NWSL Regular Season Scoring – Canadians:

Christine Sinclair   Portland Thorns                11gp 10gs  826 min  75 min/g   6g 2a 14p

Diana Matheson    Washington Spirit              12gp 9gs   800 min   66min/g    4g 0a  8p

Janine Beckie        Houston Dash                  14gp 11gs   916min    65 min/g    3g 2a 8p

Kaylyn Kyle           Orlando Pride                   18gp 16gs 1436 min  79min/g     0g 0a 0p

Desiree Scott         FCKC                              14gp  14gs 1260 min  90 min/g    0g 0a 0p

Josee Belanger      Orlando Pride                   14gp 14gs 1084 min 77min/g     0 g 0a 0p

Shelina Zadorsky   Washington Spirit             11gp  10gs  911min   83 min/g     0g 0a 0p

Allysha Chapman  Houston Dash                    9gp   8gs    710 min  79 min/g    0g 0a 0p

Adriana Leon      Western New York Flash      10gp 3gs   342min    34 min/g     0g 0a 0p

Stephanie Labbe     Washington Spirit              8gp   8gs   720min     7 ga    0.88 ga/g

Sabrina D’Angelo    Western New York Flash   11gp 11gs  990min   16 ga    1.45 ga/g

Notes:   Keepers are ranked by goals against, the rest are ranked by points and pointless players are ranked by total minutes played.

- Christine Sinclair is Canada’s top scorer in the NWSL  and tied for ninth in league scoring.

- Desiree Scott is the only Canadian to play an average of 90 minutes per game.

-Injuries have cut into the minutes played for Sinclair, Belanger, Zadorsky and Chapman.

- Sabrina D’Angelo finished tenth in the league in saves.

-Stephanie Labbe finished tied for third in clean sheets, but  lost her starting position on the Washington Spirit because of her  time in the Olympics. Post Olympics , Labbe hasn’t played any minutes in a match.

[ 1 ] It's a good point and something I took for granted. Abbreviations require an explanation, a guide, not just in soccer but in communication in general. I took the stats from the NWSL website and added minutes per game ( min/g )  and points (  p ) :

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/s/p58bqdab8s07o5oy9yr17zveesoghqd5

It's a bit late, but here are the abbreviations:     games played ( gp ), games started ( gs ), minutes ( min ), minutes per game ( min/g ),  goals ( g ) , assists ( a ) , points ( p ).

[ 2 ]  Looking at the end-of-season league stats:  our keepers did well, but  our outfield players were a little bit pedestrian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2016 NWSL Off Season

[ 1 ]  Lindsay Agnew was born in Canada  but  grew up in America; yet  she did not become a  US citizen. She was part of U20 CANWNT  team in the 2014 WWC  but used only sparingly by Andrew Olivieri. Recently, it seems that  Agnew  has  became an American --   March 2016 tweet:

@lindsay_agnew is American now so I can't deport her even if I wanted to       guess I'm stuck with my Canadian bff for good now

If true, then there is a slim chance that Lindsay Agnew   could get picked by an NWSL team in the 2017 NWSL college draft  given her strong senior year playing for Ohio State and the fact she does NOT require a NWSL international slot. 

One more thing, If the CSA is willing to bring up the issue of “Canadians as internationals” with MLS on the men’s side, then the CSA should consider  bringing up the same  issue with NWSL on the women’s side.

[ 2 ]  It appears that Stephanie Labbe is hinting on instagram  that she is not returning to the Washington Spirit in 2017. 

[ 3 ]  Estefania Banini  has left the Washington Spirit and signed  with Valencia  CF Feminino in the Primera Division  Liga Feminina  Iberdrola ( Spain’s top division in women’s football ). It’s  being reported as a straight signing and not a loan or a transfer.   

http://en.valenciacf.com/ver/62332/valencia-cf-femenino-sign-argentine-international-banini.html

[ 4  ] Kim little has transferred to Arsenal Ladies and won’t be back in the NWSL  with the Seattle Reign in 2017.

http://www.vavel.com/en/football/womens-football/709008-kim-little-re-joins-arsenal-ladies.html

Archived