Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

On May 16, 2016 at 9:03 AM, rob.notenboom said:

Lol, yeah, I saw that coming.

Now Floortom, I don't know enough about you yet to put you in my coveted bitch list considering you seem like an alright guy and you try to conduct yourself nicely, lol. Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy what you were saying to begin with. I googled the six guys you eventually came up with, and they got about 20 Prem appearances between the 6 of them.....that's not a lot. It's no surprise that a guy who managed an appearance at Chelsea, and a good showing at that, jumped to the head of the pack.

I don't even follow English football closely minus watching a few of the top teams play and even I knew this guy would get called up by England. For a guy that I can only imagine knows English football inside and out like yourself, you (and most English pundits to your defence) just utterly confuse me with the insight you give. It's like you all have some strange tunnel vision.

I'm not trying to be a dick, even though I'm coming off like that, but I just want to know where your rationale was coming from, minus mentioning the 6 guys who are literally in the same position as Timori is lol.

PS. Don't get mad. I don't actually have a bitch list, lol.

Edited by Macksam

Of course he's an interesting prospect for England. But the English national team is still ages away, whereas for Canada, he would be an instant upgrade. Just keep on selecting him for the MNT, especially since he's been selected for Canadian teams before. I don't think he's a lost cause just yet...

On 5/19/2016 at 7:23 AM, shamrock said:

Of course he's an interesting prospect for England. But the English national team is still ages away, whereas for Canada, he would be an instant upgrade. Just keep on selecting him for the MNT, especially since he's been selected for Canadian teams before. I don't think he's a lost cause just yet...

This is true, he has been wearing the captains armband for us, he may still feel obliged to the reds. Being Chelseas academy player of the year, debuting at his age and getting the call to the country where is was raised...its going to be a long shot for us. He knows a starting position down the road for Chelsea means a senior callup to England. Wait for the big pay day...or go to Canada where hes essentially an expat?  Who knows, we may see him debut for us when he is 27 and doesn't make it into Chelsea and is forced to the lower leagues. 

We truly need a miracle, but I agree hes not a lost cause yet! Thats good enough for this guy, after all...we are ranked 95 in the world haha

I wouldn't emotionally invest in this regardless of what happens considering we're not ending up with a world class defender either way.

If he continues to develop well and becomes a consistent starter for Chelsea, he'll get the call to England no ifs, ands or buts. He probably would be a starter for them in that scenario as well. If he flames out and ends up on some championship team like a lot of English Chelsea prospects, he'll just be another foreign based player we call up in order to scrape together our fragmented national team.

On 5/15/2016 at 11:37 AM, Obinna said:

But here's the thing - don't you see the trend?

Akindele - Calgary - Canada 

Adekugbe - Calgary - Canada

Tomori - Calgary - ?

I think that pretty much seals the deal, doesn't it? :P

I can think of another guy from Calgary that didn't end up as Canada.

Edited by madmonte

13 hours ago, Macksam said:

I wouldn't emotionally invest in this regardless of what happens considering we're not ending up with a world class defender either way.

If he continues to develop well and becomes a consistent starter for Chelsea, he'll get the call to England no ifs, ands or buts. He probably would be a starter for them in that scenario as well. If he flames out and ends up on some championship team like a lot of English Chelsea prospects, he'll just be another foreign based player we call up in order to scrape together our fragmented national team.

Uh... Have you seen our backline lately? A solid championship level centre back would be a huge improvement over what we have now. 

We dont even have a foreign based championship level centre back to "scrape together" right now. 

Edited by king1010

21 hours ago, king1010 said:

Uh... Have you seen our backline lately? A solid championship level centre back would be a huge improvement over what we have now. 

We dont even have a foreign based championship level centre back to "scrape together" right now. 

That's nice and all but I'm not going to give it any attention. 

I want us to be in a position where we stop making threads about some random goal keeper on the Atletico Madrid U17 team that has a Canadian grandparent and pay more attention to things happening on the home front. The only way for that to happen is to have a system in place that consistently develops professional players. The way for that to happen is by having our own league. I apologize if my rant went off topic lol. 

Edited by Macksam

8 hours ago, Macksam said:

I want us to be in a position where we stop making threads about some random goal keeper on the Atletico Madrid U17 team that has a Canadian grandparent and pay more attention to things happening on the home front. The only way for that to happen is to have a system in place that consistently develops professional players. The way for that to happen is by having our own league. I apologize if my rant went off topic lol. 

Thats nice and all. Im going to keep giving it attention though. 

And the reason there was a thread on him was because he actually played for our national youth team camps.  

Edited by king1010

14 hours ago, Macksam said:

Of course. We should be able to see some results in 20 odd years. What would you suggest we do in the meantime, just wait for it?

11 hours ago, shamrock said:

Of course. We should be able to see some results in 20 odd years. What would you suggest we do in the meantime, just wait for it?

I have no issue if he does end up playing for us, I'd welcome it with open arms even. However, I just find the whole scenario extremely broken, disjointed, perverse even for lack of a better word. I want to wish this kid the best, and I hope he becomes a consistent starter for the Blues. However, that's going to result in him joining up with England no questions asked. Any domestic player starting for Chelsea would get called up by England. Nobody here should kid themselves into thinking otherwise. This is why I don't want to pay any attention to it. I don't wan t to follow a kid where the best outcome for us, him flaming out at Chelsea, isn't the best outcome for him.

Edited by Macksam

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, SCF08 said:

Tomori has been called up by England for the European U19 Championships that will start next week. 

Links: http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2016/jul/under-19s-euro-squad-named-060716

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship

Since these will be official matches, we know he will be registered as English. Was he registered as Canadian with FIFA beforehand though? Do you need to if it's youth friendlies? Did he have to file his one-time switch already? Knowbody seems to be sure.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Links: http://www.thefa.com/news/england/development/2016/jul/under-19s-euro-squad-named-060716

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship

Since these will be official matches, we know he will be registered as English. Was he registered as Canadian with FIFA beforehand though? Do you need to if it's youth friendlies? Did he have to file his one-time switch already? Knowbody seems to be sure.

I doubt that he was registered as Canadian with FIFA because he never played an official match for Canada. There's one thing that is sure, if he plays one game for England, he would need to file his one-time switch to play for Canada or Nigeria.

55 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would have thought any fence sitters would steer clear of England after that pathetic crash against Iceland :P

I know you're just poking fun at England, but even being an England U21 on your resume nets you better chances at employment with a club in England than being a full Canadian international. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 5:06 PM, jpg75 said:

He did not play an official youth match for Canada, therefore he can file a one-time switch to come back to us when he figures out he's too good for England.

He started in England's U-19 (U-20 WCQ) game on Tuesday. He now has that official cap for England. http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2016/matches/round=2000598/match=2019792/index.html

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He started in England's U-19 (U-20 WCQ) game on Tuesday. He now has that official cap for England. http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2016/matches/round=2000598/match=2019792/index.html

Funny a guy who posters on this board said was tenth on the England youth depth chart would start for them in an official match.

I guess the other 8 are injured and they are playing 9 and ten?

England loses to Italy in the semifinals. Tomori concedes the penalty for Italy's first goal.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3701293/England-U19-1-2-Italy-U19-Young-Lions-knocked-European-Championship-Federico-Dimarco-brace.html

By making the semifinals of this tournament, England has qualified for the U20 World Cup in 2017. So another chance for him to remain in their set up.

2 hours ago, masster said:

England loses to Italy in the semifinals. Tomori concedes the penalty for Italy's first goal.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3701293/England-U19-1-2-Italy-U19-Young-Lions-knocked-European-Championship-Federico-Dimarco-brace.html

By making the semifinals of this tournament, England has qualified for the U20 World Cup in 2017. So another chance for him to remain in their set up.

And a chance for us to beat him on the World stage.