Fikayo Tomori

SCF08

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

I would bring Aird and Tomori in to camp and have them compete for the spot. First to cap tie Tomori, if he would even accept the call. Have Ledgerwood in camp also to be the option at RB if both do not fit Floro's system.

Tomori wouldnt be cap tied in a friendly? 

I wish I could have seen his performance today, I have yet to see him play.

As far as Nigeria goes - the fans are certainly aware of him. That being said, the fans are aware of basically anyone with a connection, which is A LOT of players, because the Nigerian diaspora is absolutely massive. So yeah, his name is floating around, but it's floating around in a vast sea of mouth watering prospects. 

For instance, consider the list below. It is two years old but it exemplifies the massive number of promising Nigerians, some which have since debuted for Nigeria (Alex Iwobi / Arsenal), some which have debuted for another nation (Jordan Ibe / Liverpool), and some I have never heard of (Boluwatife Balogun / Barcalona ...who the hell is that guy @Unnamed Trialist?)

Funny enough, two players who are now firmly a part of our senior set up (Akindele and Adekugbe), are also on that list, so hopefully he's another Adekugbe rather than an Ibe.

But here's the thing - don't you see the trend?

Akindele - Calgary - Canada 

Adekugbe - Calgary - Canada

Tomori - Calgary - ?

I think that pretty much seals the deal, doesn't it? :P

Aforementioned list.....

1. Dominic Solanke - Chelsea
2. Ola Aina - Chelsea
3. Tom Adeyemi - Cardiff
4. Alex Iwobi - Arsenal
5. Chuba Akpom - Arsenal
6. Chuks Aneke - Zulte Waregem
7. Tiago Ilori - Liverpool
8. Jordon Ibe - Liverpool
9. Dele Alli - MK Dons 
10. Benik Afobe - Arsenal
11. Michael Ngoo - Kilmanock
12. Derik Osede - Real Madrid
13. Semi Ajayi - Arsenal
14. Godswill Elohor - Barcelona
15. Bobby Adekanye - Barcelona
16. Edward Onaiwu - Charlton
17. David Amoo - Calisle United
18. Kenny Otigba - Hereeven
19. Jason Adesanya - Mechelen
20. Nicky Ajose - Leed United
21. Freddie Ladapo- Kidderminster 
22. Ogo Obi - Watford
23. Sammy Ameobi - Newcastle
24. Kevin Akpoguma - TSG Hoffenheim
25. Sebastian Osigwe - SC Krien
26. Segun Owobowale- Ado Den Haag
27. Tyronne Ebuehi- Ado Den Haag
28. Nosa Egberevba -New York FC
29. Tosin Adarabioyo - Manchester City 
30. Fisayo Adarabioyo - Crystal Palace
31. Fikayo Tomori - Chelsea
32. Uche Ikpeazu - Watford
33. Kevin Effiong Bassey - SC Wehen
34. Dominic Iorfa Jr - Wolves
35. Moses Odubajo - Brentford
36. William Troost-Ekong - Gronigen
37. Funso Ojo - PSV
38. Ola Adeyemo - Dundee United
39. Fred Onyedinma - Millwall 
40. King Udoh - Juventus
41. Chima Okoroji - Bayern Munich
42. Michael Phillip Ogbuono - Braintree FC
43. Sam Adekugbe - V. Whitecaps
44. Ike Opara - Sporting Kansas
45. Amobi Akugo - Orlando City
46. Tesho Akindele - FC Dallas
47. Mathias Fanimo - West Ham Utd
48. Reece Wabara - Doncaster Rovers 
49. Jordan Obita - Reading
50. Ike Ugbo - Chelsea
51. Chike Kandi - B & H Albion
52. Farouk Olamide Yusuf - Unattached
53. Mustafa Olagunju - Kent FC
54. Solomon Akinduro - Kent FC
55. Marc Bola - Arsenal
56. Tolaji Bola - Arsenal
57. Sheyi Ojo - Liverpool 
58. Steven Ukoh- Biel Bernne
59. Tobi Coker - Millwall
60. Boluwatife Balogun - Barcelona

Edited by Obinna

Obinna, I have watched Godswill play, I don't know-- he broke his meniscus this year and is out for the last few months. A Barça B player who came to Spain very young with his family, I don't think they'll cut him injured but they may have otherwise. Our youth is suffering a bit these last few years.

I have met Bobby, a few years ago with my son as they are the same age, I thought he was Dutch. He was cute, has a devilish left foot and a sharp dribble. Affected by the FIFA sanction against Barcelona as he was underage, and his parents did not come to Spain to be with him. 

The other guy, no idea. The highest touted Nigerian to ever come through our academy system was Haruna Babandiga, his rep was higher than Messi's, he was like an Adu. Amunike came here when he was mature, after the gold medal in Atlanta, another player who was injured and did not last long.

I had a good laugh at whoever posted saying there are at least ten centre backs in England ahead of Tomori in their NT mix. I mean, the starter and scorer for the Youth League champ, but yeah, lots of better guys out there, playing against really hard competition in Norwich, not like this PSG garbage.

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

Jake Clarke Salter

reece oxford

Joe Gomez

Tosin Adarabioyo

cameron Jackson 

cam humphreys

all young prospects ahead of Tomori who he would need to overtake to get a sniff from England. There are many others too.

I can only speak about West Ham players but I would put Reece Burke ahead of Reece Oxford. He is 19 years old and already had 39 first team appearances. Most of those have been at Bradford, where he has been on loan this year. He won almost everything at their end of season awards including player of the year. His nickname from the Bradford supporters is Burkenbauer. 

11 hours ago, Floortom said:

Jake Clarke Salter

reece oxford

Joe Gomez

Tosin Adarabioyo

cameron Jackson 

cam humphreys

all young prospects ahead of Tomori who he would need to overtake to get a sniff from England. There are many others too.

Okay, so it has gone down from 10 to six. 

Or maybe, with 30 minutes for Chelsea, less than that. 

Of course, if it is any less than that, say he's in the top 5 barely-- then he is 100% national youth team material. Add to the fact he played outside back yesterday, and there you have the versatility. 

My point stands: out of the blue discarding his value saying there are ten of his age ahead of him, that was a load of crap. We are going to have a very hard time getting him to stay with us, it is going to have to be a major project.

5 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I can only speak about West Ham players but I would put Reece Burke ahead of Reece Oxford. He is 19 years old and already had 39 first team appearances. Most of those have been at Bradford, where he has been on loan this year. He won almost everything at their end of season awards including player of the year. His nickname from the Bradford supporters is Burkenbauer. 

Burke is another one - like I said there are others.

i honestly thought Oxford was generally rated more than Burke amongst Hammers supporters but i may have been wrong about that.

59 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Burke is another one - like I said there are others.

i honestly thought Oxford was generally rated more than Burke amongst Hammers supporters but i may have been wrong about that.

I think Burke has overtaken Oxford this year but that is strictly down to Burke being a couple years older and having played almost 40 senior matches. I think supporters are also unsure if Oxford's future is in the midfield or defence.

As for other central defenders, who played for England in the u20 match against Canada? I remember Burke was on the little programme I got, but he didn't play.  

Regardless of how many players are 'ahead' of Tomori on a theoretical depth chart, he is being courted heavily by England and, I suspect, being told that he is in their plans and not that he is far down the pecking order. There is a lot of pressure on the kid because of course Canada currently has him, they are in constant contact, so he is getting pulled in two directions. I'm glad he's played for our U20s and has enjoyed it and been successful, and the relationships that he's built through those experience might be the thing that tips the balance in our favour. However, with all these dual nationals (and there are more 'new finds' on the near horizon) it's always going to be a waiting game.

22 minutes ago, Addona said:

I wish I could say that I'm shocked, surprised, and disappointed ... but (sadly) I'm only disappointed.

Edit: And that, my friends, is why you cap-tie when you can ...

When did we have a chance to cap tie him? The Mexico games???

Just now, aloyol said:

When did we have a chance to cap tie him? The Mexico games???

My comment was just a general one ... not that we had a chance in this case, but my point is that we need to be quick and on top of these things and can't afford to wait and assume that players are committed to us.  Perhaps in this case, it never would've worked anyway ... 

8 minutes ago, Addona said:

My comment was just a general one ... not that we had a chance in this case, but my point is that we need to be quick and on top of these things and can't afford to wait and assume that players are committed to us.  Perhaps in this case, it never would've worked anyway ... 

Yes, knowing he was on the England radar, he probably would've wait before playing in WCQ for us.

That being said, does Tomori has to filled his FIFA one time switch before playing for England. If not, it could still be possible for him to play for us in the future if he's not good enough to play for England MNT.

I'm not really worried on Tomori. England hands out youth caps like cookies, and he probably wants to see both sides of the coin.

Brooks did this with the US and Germany and he came out in a few interviews and said his time with the US was more enjoyable than with Germany. I hope the case will be the same here with Tomori.

55 minutes ago, Addona said:

I wish I could say that I'm shocked, surprised, and disappointed ... but (sadly) I'm only disappointed.

Edit: And that, my friends, is why you cap-tie when you can ...

These players aren't stupid, the choice to be cap-tied is all theirs.  The only time I can ever remember Canada dropping the ball on cap-tying a player who was willing was Begovic BUT even then he was cap-tied under the current rules so you can't really blame us.  I can't help but feel we could have fought the Begovic situation looking back, we had a legitimate expectation from FIFA and they reneged on it to our detriment.  

30 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Yes, knowing he was on the England radar, he probably would've wait before playing in WCQ for us.

That being said, does Tomori has to filled his FIFA one time switch before playing for England. If not, it could still be possible for him to play for us in the future if he's not good enough to play for England MNT.

My interpretation is no. Since Tomori did not play in an official FIFA competition for Canada, he doesn't have to file a one time switch. Since this England U19 game is only a friendly, he wouldn't have to file a one time switch to play for us.

Personally, I am still hoping for an Akindele scenario, where he realizes that he's unlikely to get much of a career with England and sees us as his next best (though let's face it, Nigeria might have that title). Regardless, it probably means years of speculation as he drags out hoping for a call-up, while we hope he does good but not great so he sees Canada as an option. Shoot me now.

Edited by Complete Homer

9 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I'm not really worried on Tomori. England hands out youth caps like cookies, and he probably wants to see both sides of the coin.

Brooks did this with the US and Germany and he came out in a few interviews and said his time with the US was more enjoyable than with Germany. I hope the case will be the same here with Tomori.

We do have several Local League 1 Ontario U 20 Eligible Players wanting to play for Canada, Check out Rachaun Palmer 

video from his League 1 season this past year, Rachaun Has also been to England for Trials on 3 Occasions, Birmingham City fc Academy, Wolves Academy and Manchester City Fc Academy.. Canada`s Hottest right FullBack prospect right now. The 18 Year old Player accepted a Full Scholarship several months ago to the U.S and waiting on a recall from Birmingham City and/or Manchester City. Rachaun Favorite Team is Arsenal FC which his playing style is similar to and his Goal is to play for Arsenal FC and represents Canada as the Next!!!

It's a bummer, but when a player is raised and developed in England, if the England national team comes calling, they'll go. Canada won't win a battle for a player against the likes of England (Or Spain, France, Germany, Italy for that matter)

Short of playing Tomori against Mexico (which would have been nuts), there's not much more we could have done IMO. After all, he was wearing the captains armband for our U-20's AGAINST England 6 weeks ago. Not only that, but this article from Thursday says Canada were planning on calling him in to the U-20 camp in Costa Rica as well.

Gale plans to call Tomori into the Canadian U-20 squad later this month, for a training camp and pair of friendlies in Costa Rica.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/05/12/canada-youth-international-fikayo-tomori-turning-heads-chelsea-fc

Edited by shermanator

I still think Tomori will be part of our U20 side and probably captain us if he can't cut it with England u19s.. kind of funny that he played for us against Mexico and England and now he'll be playing for England against Mexico.  Gale is tight with the English FA, he knows the score.  

If he plays for us in qualifiers (and hopefully the World Cup) he'll still have the one time switch available to switch to Nigeria or England if he chooses.  Not a bad deal for him.

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Remember, Asmir Begović was on the bench with him during most of the game when he made his debut for Chelsea:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36240331

What do you think he told him?

68398229.jpg

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille